Author Topic: "It will be ready when it is ready"  (Read 19638 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: "It will be ready when it is ready"
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »
Hi Greg.

This is not a business I can to afford one. But the door is open for anybody to collaborate with me and help me on this subject.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
Re: "It will be ready when it is ready"
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »
Just to provide my opinion.

First, I'm a developer myself. Been doing Design/Analysis/Development for 40+ years. So I've had lots of experience in being asked the main question.

I really dislike giving any estimates of completion until I have a finalized solution and even then, its still an estimate. I don't know how many times over my career I've been asked to provide development estimates even before the design (or even the requirements) are complete and approved. No matter how I qualify a fuzzy SWAG estimate, that estimate becomes the number I or my team get held too. Once management hears a number, it seems to be set faster than quick drying cement and any deviation from the estimate often results in considerable angst and other undesirable turmoil.

When doing independent development, my preference for Systems development is T&M up to design completed. Once the design is completed and approved, I can fix price the development.

I get the fact that there are schedules and deadlines, but it always seems the first number tossed out is the baseline. Right to left scheduling is all too common in this industry, at least for me.