Author Topic: Setting right a WinOS/2 printer  (Read 7160 times)

muffetta

Setting right a WinOS/2 printer
« on: May 28, 2016, 06:54:06 pm »
Hi all!
I urgently need to print some powerpoint 4.3 for WfW slides made long ago into landscape format.
The file is not recognized by AOO (wrong version) and the PS output from WinOS/2 PrintManager comes only in a portrait format!
Where can i set the right output?
I've no time now to search for an alternate solution or to manage a virtualbox installation, i need them for monday!
Meanwhile I'm trying to open it using other office suites for OS/2.
Thanks for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:13:08 pm by Barbara »

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Setting right a WinOS/2 printer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:43:55 pm »
You have to install a win-os2 printer. After that it should be no problem to print it.

muffetta

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:18:42 pm »
Hi, Joop
Yes, I've a printer into win-os2 (Agfa color PS), which works very well: it print postscript files from all my windows apps! This issue occur only printing from powerpoint: if i need to print into landscape format a .doc or a .xls file from the same suite it works just like with other windows apps i' have!!
Damn MS$%@#@#!!!
Still not found a valid way to open/convert/print it and i don't wanna a portrait format, rewrite it using AOO needs a lot of time!
Also Libroffice for linux and MSOffice 2003 for Windows does not open it (again wrong version)!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:20:36 pm by Barbara »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 02:10:11 am »
Perhaps the old StarOffice (Hobbes I believe) will handle the powerpoint file. IIRC at one time there was also a standalone powerpoint reader from MS.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:43:39 am »
Hi Barbara,

I don't know if this is any good for you but we have used them on occasions when clients have odd files to convert and they say they can convert old version 4 ppt files.

http://www.zamzar.com/

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:53:24 am »
It could be a priority conflict between Powerpoint's job settings and the default Win-OS/2 printer object settings.

Make sure the Win-OS/2 printer in Control Panel -> Printers is set to Landscape, and the job properties in Powerpoint (not sure where those are kept in the Win16 version) are also set to Landscape.

muffetta

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »
Eureka!!
I was able to install and configure adobe3 and distiller, found on abandonware sites, in the right way!!
Inside there is the Acrobat PDFWriter printer which can set  layout options in a more confortable way!!!
Anyway, has been quite hard to get the distiller assistant works properly since it need the Win32s extensions for Windows 3.11 ver. 1.30, patched following this how to (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/info/tips/win32s.zip) and this one found on voice (http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0503H/vnewsf3.htm).
Regards, and thanks to all  :D !!!