Author Topic: Yum error! "Python strikes again"!  (Read 7379 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Yum error! "Python strikes again"!
« on: July 17, 2016, 01:14:11 am »
I was doing a "Update All" using Arca Noah's package manager, and was about half way through the process (I believe it was in the process of updating libc.066) when I got this:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

dlopen rc=2 extra=NSS3K

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.7.6 (default, Feb 26 2015, 17:48:50)

Now I can't do anything with yum and Arca Noah package manager shows "no packages available" and also shows "all packages are up to date".
UnInstalling Arca Noah package manager is do-able but re-installing comes up with the same results.
Is there a procedure for getting rid of yum and starting over from scratch?
Current version of Python IS 2.7.6

Thanks for any ideas, klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Yum error! "Python strikes again"!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:25:58 am »
Probably the legacy NSS package. Really a bug should be filed as there seems to be more problems with these legacy packages, perhaps happening when converted to legacy (non-legacy NSS is used by current Mozilla).
To get rid of yum etc, remove the set UNIXROOT setting from config.sys and copy your @UNIXROOT\usr\lib directory somewhere temporary and add that location to the front of LIBPATH. Reboot. Delete your @UNIXROOT/usr, @UNIXROOT/etc and maybe @UNIXROOT/var if it has only been used by YUM. If it's on your boot partition you might want to just move it out of the way. You should also remove any other references to @UNIXROOT from config.sys, probably from PATH and perhaps DPATH.
Reboot. Move your temporary location for usr/lib to the end of LIBPATH, reboot.
Now you can use ANPM to start over and afterwards delete your temporary usr/lib location and remove it from LIBPATH.
Seems a lot of work but if some of the DLLs are needed by the system, they need to be kept around until replaced.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 02:59:04 am »
Wow! Thanks Dave,  I'll try you're procedure tomorrow, I'm trying to get through a pretty long compile that looks like it got screwed up by the failed yum update I suspect! I Hate yum with a passion, but if a person wants to compile source code nowdays,-- when it works!, its somewhat of a lifesaver.

klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 11:59:46 pm »
Hi Dave, I've done you're re-install of yum & anpm 3 times now and all with the same result. It looks to me like something basic is broken with yum, probably python. You're procedure works fine and anpm installs correctly and loads to netlabs-rel repository. Everything looks great till you try to update a package. It downloads the packages (or packages) that are required but never updates the existing package or packages.
  Switching to command prompt and just trying to update or install a un-installed package using yum install or yum update gives the following:

Package      Arch          Version                  Repository            Size
================================================================================

Installing:
 apr          i686          1.4.5-1.oc00             netlabs-rel           79 k

Transaction Summary
================================================================================

Install       1 Package

Total size: 79 k
Installed size: 79 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running Transaction Check

Killed by SIGABRT
pid=0x00ed ppid=0x00ec tid=0x0001 slot=0x008d pri=0x0200 mc=0x0001 ps=0x0010
E:\USR\BIN\PYTHON2.7.EXE
Process dumping was disabled, use DUMPPROC / PROCDUMP to enable it.

[E:\]

Does any of this make any sense to you?  Its killing me!

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:24:48 am »
You really should post a ticket at netlabs, after making sure that no one beat you to it.
Personally I haven't done a yum update in a while, so haven't seen this.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:52:21 am »
Did you put your %unixroot% directories (x:\usr\lib;x:\usr\...) in front of you LIBPATH? Even before '.;' may be necessary if you've old dlls laying around somewhere.

If it does not help, did you follow ArcaNoas wiki for yum/ANPM? Especially https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/anpm/ and https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/anpm/non-updated-systems/

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:34:54 pm »
1) rename the \etc directory to say \etc_xxx
2) rename the \usr directory to say \usr_xxx
3) reboot and hope for the best
4) rerun ANPM, it should now ask you if it should install yum/rpm (because it now can no longer find it because of 1) and 2) ), answer with yes and wait until it is done
5) reboot, if everything went well you will now have a new \etc and \usr directory and you can then delete \etc_xxx and \usr_xxx. You will need to run ANPM to update a whole bunch of packages because the prebundle installed at 4) contains outdated versions of a number of packages.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 12:10:42 am »
Hey Andi.B, Yes to both of you're suggestions, thanks for the reply.
and Lars: It looks like they are probably working on this problem. Now all of a sudden it works and I can update about half of the .rpms. It now craps out when I get down to updating os2-base then throws the error: "An error occurred when trying to download packages. Error, cannot open package databasein /@unixroot/var/lib/rpm/database. Looks like only about half of the database is present.
  I'll try again later or tomorrow and maybe it'll work completley.
Dave: Sombody probably filed a bug report, I'll wait & see what happens.
Thanks to all of you.

klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 01:23:31 am »
Looks like everything is working now, I got a completed update, no problems!

klipp