Author Topic: FF and TB not running at the same time.  (Read 28343 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
FF and TB not running at the same time.
« on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:31 pm »
The problem has nothing to do with "run!"
I am running TB 31.8.0 and FF 38.2.1
I can start each of them if the other is not running. If FF is running and I try to start TB nothing happens. If I try to start FF when TB is running I get this message:
"The application has been updated, but your version of SQLite is too old and the application cannot run."
If I then run ANPM to update SQLite. The message is than There is no newer version.
Then I try to delete SQLite using ANMP. The message this time is a long list of packages including Python and RPM and a message: You have selected to uninstall at least one package which is required for package management framework to function. This operation cannot proceed.
I then look into the content of SQLite (using ANPM). It lists only sqlite3.exe, sqlit3.dll, readme and sqlite3.1(without extension). I thought these would be the parts that would be uninstalled, but ANPM would do a deeper cleaning.

Any suggestions of how to proceed?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: FF and TB not running at the same time.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:06:20 am »
Mozilla does not use the system sqlite so anything you do with ANPM won't help. It uses mozsqlt3.dll, which should be in your FF/TB program directories. If you are correctly using RUN!, I don't see how you're having that problem.
I'd suggest updating to the same level of TB and FF, preferably 38.8.0. You still need RUN! to load FF after TB if lightning is installed.
BTW, did you look in your TB program directory for any trp files? Or popup.log  for any sys2070's involving FF or TB?

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 06:03:24 pm »
I run very different version of TB and FF. Both use RUN. Don't have any problem running both next to each other. Also use different versions of FF, because later versions do have problems with footage.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:56:32 am »
Correction, seems the latest 38.8.0 uses both mozsqlite3 and sqlite3, at least if using the yum/rpm supplied nss and nspr

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:49:19 am »
The problem has nothing to do with "run!"
"The application has been updated, but your version of SQLite is too old and the application cannot run."
Any suggestions of how to proceed?
See the readme.os2 file this:
===============================================================================
-- Compatibility Warning ------------------------------------------------------
===============================================================================

After using Firefox v4.0, Seamonkey v2.1, or Thunderbird v3.4 (or any later
version) your History and Cookies databases (places.sqlite & cookies.sqlite)
will NOT be compatible with earlier versions (i.e. FF3.6, SM2.0, or TB3.1).
A REXX script is available to restore compatibility.

* To preserve compatibility BEFORE running the new version:
  - download 'dbrestore.zip' from
      ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/dbrestore.zip
    or
      http://e-vertise.com/warpzilla/dbrestore.zip
  - unzip it into your profile directory
  - make backups of places.sqlite and cookies.sqlite

* To restore compatibilty BEFORE running an earlier version:
  - run the script from your profile directory.

* To restore compatibilty AFTER running an earlier version
  (i.e. you forgot to run the script before):
  - look for 'places.sqlite.corrupt' and 'cookies.sqlite.corrupt' in your
    profile directory,   If they appear to be the right size, remove the
    '.corrupt' extension after deleting the newly-created versions.
  - run the script
  - if your history and cookies aren't restored, use your backup copies.

Saludos
Roberto

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:51:53 pm »
Hi roberto,

I doubt that what you quoted is relevant to the OPs problem.  He is not talking about corrupt SQL data but the fact he gets an error message abour SQLite itself.

In fact it is much more likely that there is an old version early in his libpath that either needs updating or removing.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:55:17 pm »
Thank you for your interest in my problem.

Now I have reinstalled FF (38.2.1) and TB (38.6.0) .
Things are different but not solved:

I can start FF when TB is running. I can not start TB when FF is running. There is no error messages, but a TRP file is created. Nothing in the POPUPLOG.os2.
I can from FF select the command EmailLink from the File button and the "New email" from TB opens and let me mail the link til someone.

The TRP file doesn't tell me anything so here I need help.

I have also looked up the cookies.sqlite and places.sqlite with the results seen in the attachments. No corrupt here.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 04:41:07 pm »
It's the usual trp from mixing different versions of TB and FF, basically a debug breakpoint, see the INT 3 just before the failing NOP under "Failing Instruction"
I know you said it isn't a run! problem but all your errors say otherwise. Please post your run! command that you use for starting the programs.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 11:45:20 am »
I don't really understand what you are asking me to download. Is it the RUN! exe-file? (that is not a command file) or is it copies of how it is used to start the programs?
Anyway I now have downloaded the 38.8.0 versions of both programs and will (try to) install them in the weekend.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:52:38 pm »
I assume you read the Run!v080.txt file.  In that you would have seen a section labelled OPTIONS those are what Dave is enquiring about.

OPTIONS
Insert these options between the '!' and the '.exe'.  They are not
case-sensitive and can be entered in any order. (* = new in v0.80)

General:
  L  - set LIBPATHSTRICT (use option 'U' to turn it off)

E  - modify environment using file 'exename!.ENV' (e.g. xyz!.env)

K  - keep Run! in memory until the program ends so that WPS icons
       show they're in use - requires an extra 600k of memory

Z  - set priority:  use 'Z' by itself set the priority to 400,
       or use 'Zcdd' to specify the priority [c= 1-4  d= 00-31]

1|2 - use the primary|secondary codepage

B  - enable BiDi language support, if available

M  - start VIO programs minimized

N  - don't close VIO windows on exit

Q  - quiet operation:  no beeps or error messages

R  - show messages for non-fatal errors ('Q' overrides this)

C  - use if command-line parameters aren't passed to the program

* -x - use a minus sign to turn off an option set elsewhere -
       see the examples in "Environment Variables" for details

As you can see there are quite a few of them.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »
I don't really understand what you are asking me to download. Is it the RUN! exe-file? (that is not a command file) or is it copies of how it is used to start the programs?
Anyway I now have downloaded the 38.8.0 versions of both programs and will (try to) install them in the weekend.

Right click on the program object. Choose properties and copy what is in the Path and file name: field. Here for SeaMonkey,
F:\MOZILLA\SEAMONKEY\SEAMONKEY!LG.EXE

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »
I cannot run more than one of the Mozilla derivatives at any one time. If I try to start a second one, it crashes. I cannot prove it beyond any doubt, but I am convinced that the problem is that there is not enough shared memory left, after I get the first one started. It doesn't matter what order I start them in, or whether I use RUN!, or not, the second one never even gets started.

I normally use Firefox (now 38.8.0) for browsing, PMMail for e-mail, and Pronews/2 for news groups. Most of the time I can use that combination without problems,but FF seems to consistently eat more shared memory space, and depending on what I am doing, it may crash in a couple of hours, or it may crash after a couple of days. I can watch the amount of shared memory space shrink, until it gets to about 100 meg free, then it is only a matter of time before the crash, and sometimes, the crash takes out the whole system.

I do not use upper shared memory with these programs, simply because they crash about 80% of the time, when terminated, and about 80% of the crashes, cause the whole system to crash. I do have the 106 kernel installed, which is supposed to have a fix for that problem and I have lots of upper shared memory available. Obviously, the unload problem isn't fixed.

I do use upper shared memory for AOO 4.12. That works okay as long as I also use the Quick start feature, which keeps the DLLs loaded. If I don't do that, it crashes about 80% of the time on close, and 80% of the crashes take out the whole system. Most inconvenient. If I load AOO low, it  becomes another program that must run alone, because it uses too much shared memory.

After doing a lot of experimenting, I can't seem to reduce the amount of lower shared memory that I need, and that causes me to reboot almost every day. Something needs to be done about this problem.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 08:09:36 pm »
I do not use upper shared memory with these programs, simply because they crash about 80% of the time, when terminated, and about 80% of the crashes, cause the whole system to crash. I do have the 106 kernel installed, which is supposed to have a fix for that problem and I have lots of upper shared memory available. Obviously, the unload problem isn't fixed.

Doesn't happen here. Do you load both data and code segments high?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 11:15:23 pm »
I'm now running Firefox 38.8.0 and Thunderbird 38.8.0 at the same time. Memory is marked however it was when I downloaded it. My run parameters are !K for firefox and !LK for Thunderbird.

The system is a bit fragile, but after a reboot, it always works for a while.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 12:03:57 am »
Doesn't happen here. Do you load both data and code segments high?

I do in AOO 4.12. It doesn't seem to make any difference in FF. As long as something is loaded high, it crashes on exit, most of the time. I have even tried just XUL.DLL loaded high, but it still crashes on exit. It seems that the latest CLAMD.EXE also loads high, but it is never terminated so it doesn't crash. It is possible that I missed something when I updated eCS 2.1 to use the kernel from eCS 2.2b2. Anybody got specific instructions?

Currently, I am using SHMEMMON (from JVW) to measure the low free shared memory, but it seems that the shortest sample time is 1 minute, which is far too long to capture what is happening in real time. After I rebooted, it showed 233.0 Mb free. I started FF 38.8.0, and it showed 115.0 Mb free (RUN! with only "!"). Now, it is showing 114.8 Mb free. Above512 is showing:
Code: [Select]
current free virtual address space in kB (private / shared):
  247360 / 113984 below 512MB line, 2293760 / 1831372 above 512MB line
Now, SHMEMMON is showing 111.7 Mb free. Since TB, and SM, use more than that, I am not overly surprised that they can't start. Even if they sneak in, anything else that needs shared memory is not going to get it.

My run parameters are !K for firefox and !LK for Thunderbird.

Some time ago, I tried !K and discovered that doing that caused even more shared memory to be used, so I took it out again. It wasn't much, but it seems that every byte helps.