Author Topic: FF and TB not running at the same time.  (Read 28329 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: FF and TB not running at the same time.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:14 am »
'tis strange. I run SM and TB and occasionally FF, all with the DLLs (not the ones marked readonly) marked high. I never get crashes when closing them but after a couple of days I'll open a page from TB and the system will reboot itself so I try to make it a habit to reboot every couple of days.
Sometimes I use LIBPATHSTRICT (RUN!L) and sometimes not. Without it calendar needs to be at the same level in SM and TB and FF has to start after, or not having calendar installed, it doesn't matter which order things are started.
Currently after a day of uptime, with both SM and TB loaded, I have 253 MBs of free low memory. I really should be marking some of the DLLs in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib to load high.

I wonder what part of clamd is loaded high and if that could be triggering a problem? Are you relying mail to Win boxes? Otherwise I can't see any point in running clamd, which probably uses resources.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 03:35:18 am »
Currently after a day of uptime, with both SM and TB loaded, I have 253 MBs of free low memory. I really should be marking some of the DLLs in @UNIXROOT\usr\lib to load high.

Since I rarely use TB, or SM, it is easy enough to stop FF first (if I don't the second one simply doesn't start). I am puzzled why you have so much more free shared memory space, although that is close to what I see on my laptops. It is my main machine that has the problem, but I haven't been able to isolate what the difference is. During boot, it is XCenter that eats the most, and that is 40 Mb (after I removed all of the DLLs that I don't actually use). I have a second XCenter, but it only uses an additional 2 Mb.

I wonder what part of clamd is loaded high and if that could be triggering a problem?

I don't know. I used ClamD for a long time, until I started having severe low shared memory problems (about 3 years ago). After I discovered that the latest version loads high, I started using it again. It doesn't seem to use any low shared memory, but, according to Theseus, it uses about 300 Mb of shared memory space, which I assume is in high memory. I believe that most of it is the database. I don't know why that would need to be in shared memory space anyway. FWIW, I was having this problem long before I started using ClamD again.

Are you relying mail to Win boxes? Otherwise I can't see any point in running clamd, which probably uses resources.

I do forward e-mail sometimes, and I will admit that ClamDscan rarely actually finds anything to complain about, but I don't like to expose windows users to any more problems than they already have, so I scan all incoming mail. The only resources that it seems to use (other than high shared memory) is private memory, some disk space, and a few machine cycles.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 06:43:47 pm »
It's the usual trp from mixing different versions of TB and FF, basically a debug breakpoint, see the INT 3 just before the failing NOP under "Failing Instruction"
I know you said it isn't a run! problem but all your errors say otherwise. Please post your run! command that you use for starting the programs.

E:\PROGRAMS\THUNDERBIRD\THUNDERBIRD!K.EXE
E:\PROGRAMS\FIREFOX\FIREFOX!K.EXE

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
Currently, I am using SHMEMMON (from JVW) to measure the low free shared memory, but it seems that the shortest sample time is 1 minute, which is far too long to capture what is happening in real time.
I think I've suggested this REXX script for watching memory a few times. Direct link -
http://www.os2.org/download/file.php?id=87

'above512watch.cmd' uses above512 (included in the .zip) and prints the memory values every second. For people who understand German the whole thread is here -
http://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=247&p=1127&hilit=above512#p1127

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 07:27:38 pm »
System Load from Vasilkin Andrey has an excellent view mode for shared memory. It's called DosQuerySysInfo. It updates dynamically.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 11:10:01 pm »
Einar,

You should have at least the L option if you want firefox and thunderbird to work at the same time.

E:\PROGRAMS\THUNDERBIRD\THUNDERBIRD!LK.EXE
E:\PROGRAMS\FIREFOX\FIREFOX!LK.EXE

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 12:23:43 am »
I think I've suggested this REXX script for watching memory a few times. Direct link -
http://www.os2.org/download/file.php?id=87

Actually, I have used Above512, but the version that I have does not have the script. That does make the granularity somewhat better. Thanks...

HOWEVER. It seems that various tools show different values. See the attachment. Note that Free Shared Mem, and Above512Watch show similar numbers, while SHMemMon shows more like what I expect to see, since I had closed FF before taking the picture (about half an hour before). Both Free Shared Mem, and Above512Watch do not show the shared memory being returned to the system, while SHMemMon does.

System Load from Vasilkin Andrey has an excellent view mode for shared memory.

Yes, it does. I will need to experiment more with that, but I don't see any way to record what it is showing. Since the system dies at the interesting point, it would be good to have some sort of log.

You should have at least the L option if you want firefox and thunderbird to work at the same time.

Actually, only one of them needs the "L". Since using "L" seems to mess up sound, it is usually best to use it with Thunderbird. Or has that problem been resolved?

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 02:10:25 am »
Einar,

E:\...\FIREFOX-38.8.0\FIREFOX\FIREFOX!EK.EXE

\..\THUNDERBIRD!ELK.EXE

I use the E parameter to modify environment using this config file.

My ENV file for RUN! see below:

File name: FIREFOX!.ENV (create in same directory as FF & RUN!)

SET MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
rem SET LIBPATHSTRICT=T  (or use the FIREFOX!L.EXE which is the same thing)
SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART

SET MOZILLA_HOME=E:\Programs\Internet\Firefox\firefox-38.8.0\firefox
rem SET BEGINLIBPATH=E:\Programs\Internet\Firefox\Firefox-38.8.0\firefox
rem SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=E:\Programs\Internet\Firefox\Firefox_Flash\firefox\moz_plug

Also, here's a universal installer for FF, SM and TB !

http://os2notes.net/os2firefoxdd.html

Known issue when upgrading: some files in the TB directory are marked Read only, they must be deleted before upgrading & may affect a SM upgrade too. (Fixed for FF).

Greggory

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:01:37 am by Greggory Shaw »

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 12:56:28 pm »

Actually, only one of them needs the "L". Since using "L" seems to mess up sound, it is usually best to use it with Thunderbird. Or has that problem been resolved?

Thank you.
This made it. I have used RUN! for years, but this time I did it wrongly. I believe it is because I have installed so many new versions the last year that I became a little too loose.
Anyway, now I will install the last version of both; FF and TB

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 08:15:36 am »
Doug, where did you get 'Free Shared Mem' app from ?

What's the procedure for marking FF & TB for high memory ?

Which dlls ? I have highmem.exe from OpenOffice.

Do you use the -c or the -b option.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:12:31 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 06:13:15 pm »
Doug, where did you get 'Free Shared Mem' app from ?

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=690.0;attach=811

What's the procedure for marking FF & TB for high memory ?

Same as for OpenOffice. Look in the CMD files for hints about how to do it.

Which dlls ?

I only do the DLLs that are in the private files for the app. I have not experimented with the common DLLs, yet. It seems that a program needs to be compiled to allow using high memory space, so I don't want to mess up programs that don't understand it.

Do you use the -c or the -b option.

I have tried both, but -b works okay with AOO, as long as I also use the Quick Start feature to prevent unloading the DLLs. I tried both with FF, but it was unusable because FF crashes on close, and about 80% of those crashes take out the whole system. That is still under investigation.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 06:21:53 pm »
Actually, I have used Above512, but the version that I have does not have the script. That does make the granularity somewhat better. Thanks...

I like this.  :D  I changed the script to add logging and date/time, and it only displays, and logs, when there is a change to the previous data. It is still checking once per second.

Seems to work okay, but I am still sure that it does not show that shared memory gets returned to the system when a program (such as Firefox) gets closed. Now, if anybody knows how to add information about what caused the changes, it would make this a LOT more useful.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »
I am puzzled why you have so much more free shared memory space, although that is close to what I see on my laptops.

It seems that there are a number of things at play here:

1) I have been using "dllbasing=OFF" near the top of CONFIG.SYS, for years. I REMed that, and now loading Firefox DLLs high doesn't seem to crash at close (at least not as often, I have only done it half a dozen times).

2) I did manage to crash the system after changing Thunderbird to load high (using THUNDERBIRD!L.EXE), but I need to do more experimenting with that.

3) As an experiment, I started using the Blank screen, instead of the Cairo clock, with Doodle's Screen Saver. I need to do more experimenting with that too.

Now, I am staying close to 174 meg of lower shared memory free, according to Above512, or 181 meg, according to SHMEMMON. In either case, that is a LOT better than it has been. I have some work to get done, before I try closing FF, or playing with TB, again.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 12:31:58 am »
Don't use any of Doodles Cairo screensavers. Really they need to be updated to use current Cairo as the early versions of Cairo were buggy.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:35 am »
Einar,

If you're still having issues I have good results with FF 38.8.0 & TB 38.6.0 & no crashes when closing them (see settings above posted) !

Both are now marked high mem (-c option ) with 160-70 MB of lower shared memory free (with FTP server & GoServer running too).

Thx Doug for the info & links ! (was down to 10-20Mb)

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:24:48 am by Greggory Shaw »