Author Topic: Open Office  (Read 4109 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Open Office
« on: September 03, 2016, 12:11:14 am »
Just wondering if this news will have any bearing on our port of OO.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/openoffice_retirement/

Also does the exploit mentioned apply to OS/2?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Open Office
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 02:25:25 am »
Hi

I really do not know who the bugs may affect us, so sorry but I will drift away :)

On my personal opinon maybe this is what  Dennis E. Hamilton refers a "self-fulfilling prophecy".
- Oracle took too much time to announce what they are going to do with OpenOffice when they bought Sun.
- Microsoft got involved into the Apache foundation always trying to protect their Office cash cow.
- The OpenOffice project got a big hit when it forked to LibreOffice.
- At that time many OpenOffice developers called LibreOffice disorganized, and also call it almost a scam because the Document Foundation was not even created yet. Now LibreOffice has "certified partners" and seems that is going to perdure longer than the Apache OpenOffice project.

I thought that with the IBM involvement, merging Lotus Symphony code to OpenOffice, it will improve the OpenOffice situation, but when IBM stopped their strategy to give out a free office suite to try to squeeze out money from Microsoft customers, they stopped helping the project.

I also thought that with the Apache license some other companies will try to merge OpenOffice on their products, and on the same line of thoughts those companies will also gave back to the open source core of Openoffice, but I was wrong again. The Apache license didn't make a difference against a copyleft license on this case. It also looked that the "Office Suite" market was done, like if nobody would like to fight on it anymore.

The positive thing is that there is still available the LibreOffice community and I guess that porting LibreOffice to OS/2 would not be like starting from scratch on a new port. (but I can not know for sure).

Regards.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 02:34:19 am »
Hi again.

Maybe other positive things is that the OpenOffice community is fighting back on the forums discussing "What would OpenOffice NON-retirement involve?" , and marking Dennis E. Hamilton post as FUD.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201609.mbox/browser

Let's see if something positive comes out of this :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 05:29:10 am »
It's a shame that LibreOffice removed the OS/2 code