Author Topic: Installing ArcaOS keeping an existing yum/rpm  (Read 3773 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
Installing ArcaOS keeping an existing yum/rpm
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:08:10 am »
I have tried to install ArcaOS to E: with selecting custom install and selecting F: to install the Unix environment to. On F: lives an existing yum/rpm/anpm environment. The installer hangs at the point it is trying to install the unix environment- The last log entry I see is:

Boot drive: E:
Destination: F:
RPM source: T:\CID\SERVER\RPM

I have tried moving etc\rpm, etc\yum and user\lib\rpm away from F: but it didn't make a difference. Has anyone else noticed similar behaviour?
Installing with unix environment to E: works as expected. I could simply edit the config,sys and delete the unix stuff from E: as a workaround but prefer to work out if this is a bug first (The installer hang itself IS a bug, it encounters a problem and does not report it).
As far as I'm aware it should be perfectly ok to share a unix env between two bootable partitions on a third partition because the rpm database is on the unixroot partition, so stuff should stay in sync.

Reported to Arca Noae as ticket https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=1093

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Installing ArcaOS keeping an existing yum/rpm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:42 am »
I successfully did it with some of the earlier betas.
Be aware various packages do put stuff in config.sys and will need to be reinstalled from the other bootable partition or config.sys manually updated

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Installing ArcaOS keeping an existing yum/rpm
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:03:48 am »
As far as I'm aware it should be perfectly ok to share a unix env between two bootable partitions on a third partition because the rpm database is on the unixroot partition, so stuff should stay in sync.

It is totally UNSUPPORTED but it does work okay, as long as you understand how it all works, and compensate when something needs to create desktop objects, CONFIG.SYS entries, etc. (just re-install in the "other" system). However, if something doesn't work right, you are on your own, don't ask for help in the official channels.