Author Topic: obtaining programmer editors  (Read 9640 times)

Andy Willis

• View Profile
obtaining programmer editors
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:34 pm »
Does anyone know how to obtain either Visual Slickedit or Rimstart programmers editors at this point?

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: obtaining programmer editors
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:46:27 pm »
I thought we found out that Visual SlickEdit version 4 was released as free abandonware. It was on the eComStation e-mail list, but I can't find it now.

I have a licensed copy of version 4, but I'm a little curious about the status of the program.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:49:35 pm »
Hi

SlickEdit Inc is still in business: https://www.slickedit.com/
But there is not OS/2 version available for sale.

It can be worth a shot to ask them to turn the OS/2 version as "AS IS" unsupported freeware.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 05:41:09 pm »
I thought we found out that Visual SlickEdit version 4 was released as free abandonware. It was on the eComStation e-mail list, but I can't find it now.

I have a licensed copy of version 4, but I'm a little curious about the status of the program.
I searched my emails, so far, the only reference I can find is on the UnixOS2 list in 2006 in the thread "Editor suggestions".  In it you mention the abandonware and possible freeware state of it.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »

I searched my emails, so far, the only reference I can find is on the UnixOS2 list in 2006 in the thread "Editor suggestions".  In it you mention the abandonware and possible freeware state of it.

I just sent them an email, asking if binaries are available at all for OS/2. Will advise here what response I get.

Cheers,

Paul

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:13:28 am »
..I just sent them an email, asking if binaries are available at all for OS/2...
I did the same years ago. Unfortunately I never got an answer. Hope you've more luck.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:34:59 am »
Hi Andi,

..I just sent them an email, asking if binaries are available at all for OS/2...
I did the same years ago. Unfortunately I never got an answer. Hope you've more luck.

I got an answer stating that the OS/2 binaries are unavailable. I've followed them up to ask if they object to current licensed users sharing the binaries and making the software available as unsupported freeware.

Cheers,

Paul

guth

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:36:48 pm »
I have a SlickEdit multi-platform license and sent an email to their support asking for a OS/2 license. I got the installation files but no license, I guess they don't have the tool available for generating a license. I'm not sure I can use someone elses license since I own it myself, but I cannot find any license so I don't need to bother with that problem anyway.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:39 am »
Hi Thomas,

I have a SlickEdit multi-platform license and sent an email to their support asking for a OS/2 license. I got the installation files but no license, I guess they don't have the tool available for generating a license. I'm not sure I can use someone elses license since I own it myself, but I cannot find any license so I don't need to bother with that problem anyway.

I've been using that editor on the OS/2 and Winx platforms for a number of years, each with a separate (their own) license key. I've never actually tried using an OS/2 license on my Win7 install, maybe it would work, maybe not?