Author Topic: Which config.sys does OS/2 use for the second stage of installation?  (Read 10641 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
I have a question regarding the boot process of OS/2 (MCP), that rised while Building my DVD including the QSINIT Loader:

What I am doing is:

I am building an updated OS/2 DVD using the Program UPDCD and therein using as boot method "No emulation boot".

What I did:

I added os2ldr (qsinit), os2ldr.ini and qsinit.ldi to the bootdisk.pf that is used for no emulation boot. That works perfect so far, when the DVD boots it directly shows me the bootmenue I configured in os2ldr.ini. I can use all the functionalety from QSINIT (like the shell, the Menue and so on). I also modified the config.sys in bootdisk.pf that it can boot from USB connected devices and supports the OS2AHCI driver.
The no emulation boot installs a drive Z:
I do not use a qssetup.cmd
The config.sys includes a RESERVEDRIVELETTER=W that comes from UPDCD to have the drive letter X: as the installation drive of the DVD

Once I proceed, the installation program of OS/2 is starting, just as I wanted it to do. I can go through and install OS/2 on hardware, that has a build in DVD (IDE/SATA) drive. The boot process of the second stage of installation starts the QSINIT Menue as well, as well when the installation is finished. So for that case - having an internal DVD - everything works really well! The same goes with Installation inside VirtualBox.  ; :)

BUT -  :( -  this is not working on USB connected or AHCI enabled drives. The problem is, that during the second stage of installation (so the first time booting from HDD) it seems that the modifications I made for the config.sys in bootdisk.pf are not present any more. The second stage shows me the qsinit boot menue as well, and once I proceed it hangs with either "Insert OS/2 CD ROM" for USB Devices/AHCI or it hangs it a driver like I2O.... for AHCI during the boot.

I figured out, that for some reason, the config.sys that is used for this second stage is not the one that I modified and included in bootdisk.pf. Therefore there is no more usb support nor os2ahci support anymore included, it is the "standard config.sys" from MCP2. Therefore the Installation with "Internal compatibel mode DVD" and "Virtualbox" works fine, as both just need danis506.add during second boot, that is inlcuded in the used "Standard Config.sys".

I than tried to answer one question by myself: wich config.sys is OS/2 using when starting for the first time from HDD when starting the second installation phase? I tried and replaced the config.sys in \OS2IMAGE\Disk_1 on the DVD and included it in the BUNDLE of \OS2IMAGE\DISK_1 - but nothing changed. The same goes with config.x in Disk_0 and Disk_1 and config.add (what I assume adds during Installation some additional lines only used for Installation) - makes no difference.

Do someone have a clue where I can find the config.sys that is used for this second stage of Installation in the file structure of OS/2 CD/DVD or is it created during Installation Phase 1? If it is create - wich config file is used as a template for this?

Thank you very much in advance!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:49:09 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Which config.sys does OS/2 use for the second stage of installation?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 02:55:58 pm »
Hi sigurd

I think the 2nd phase config.sys is generated from the settings given during phase1 but suspect as MCP does not know about ahci, acpi, or any other drivers later than MCP may not include those drivers.

I think the config.sys generated during phase1 is stored in [Volume]:\OS2\INSTALL.

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:54:06 pm by Martin Iturbide »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:39:39 pm »
This may or may not work but do you have copyfromfloppy=1 at the end of the first boot config sys?  That might be why you are missing the required drivers.

Edit:  It should be set copyfromfloppy=1
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:54:17 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:05:06 am »
Thanks,

I will give Set copyfromfloppy=1 a try (I remeber my first SCSI system back in the middle 90's, where I had to add the SCSI Driver that way to Warp 3  ;D ). My concerns has been that in that case this statement may lead to a "Insert Floppy to drive a:" as NOEMULATIONBOOT does not boot from floppy images - i will test and report  ;)

The problem are not the drivers, those are all already copied to and present on the HDD at that stage (I checked it before), the problem ist just this different config.sys, everything else works fine.

Thanks again!

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:45:54 pm »
Unfortunately.....

I will have to find something else...  :D ;)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:58:34 am »
Thankfully Andreas Kohl directed me to this guide http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg242010.pdf and I tried the option SET DISKETTESOURCE=Z: (what is the RAM disk) but this failed as well.

So I will try to learn more about CID Installation to see where this can lead me to. But this may take some time  ;)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:34:29 pm »
Well, this attempt was a fail as well. But thankfully Wim Brul pointet me to this:

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/updcd/conversations/messages/2444

(INSTEXIT.CMD) and I guess this is the way to go  ;)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 12:09:21 am »
There is also this information that I think came from ACP 2

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 06:14:14 am »
There is also this information that I think came from ACP 2

Hi, thanks, I tried it before but this did not work (see before Posts) as SVAECOPYFROMFLOPPY=1 does not work as it should in combination with QSINIT and the NO EMULATION BOOT.

BUT:

Wims Tip did it!

With the help of some Rexxscripts and INSTEXIT I can change the config.sys and add every  file I want from the Installation DVD to the Hdd after phase 1 of the Installation- invisible and unattended
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:33:30 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 11:25:36 pm »
Hi Sigurd,

Did you get your DVD built and operational?

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »
Work in progress, some new problems occur. A bit busy due to my job, but still in action.

I moved the whole system to the Lenovo T450s already.

I am close  ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:50:27 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »
While I was tired of manually copying and packing the files I add, I started to learn rexx to make it more comfortable.

First I moved my "Enviroment" to the Lenovo T450s.

Second I started to learn Rexx:
Once the Build process of UPDCD finishes I start my own script (first draft, working so far  ::) but in progress!) to add the files I want to have on the DVD and packes them automatically on the related bundle file. The files I copy to the EXTRAS directory  are then used by my modified instexit.cmd (Many thanks to Wim Brul to guide me!!!)  right after the end of the first phase of installation and before booting for the second.
Before I had to do all this by hand, wich took about 35 minutes, there are only 10 seconds left now  ::)

In example: Instexit.cmd copies all the DLLs I placed with this script in the \EXTRAS\DLL directory of the DVD to the directory \OS2\DLL on HDD before booting to the second stage of the installation, like libc or gcc dlls.

/* UPDCDSF2016.CMD - Version 0.1 16.10.2016 */

/* KOPIEREN */

/* Erstelle Verzeichnis EXTRAS und Unterverzeichnisse in BURN */
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS'
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\BOOT'
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\CONFIG'
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\DLL'
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\LOGO'
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\OS2'
  'md h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\QSINIT'

/* Kopiere Inhalt der Unterverzeichnisse von EXTRAS in BURN */

'copy h:\updcdsf\Extras\BOOT\*.* h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\BOOT'
  'copy h:\updcdsf\Extras\CONFIG\*.* h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\CONFIG'
  'copy h:\updcdsf\Extras\DLL\*.* h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\DLL' 
  'copy h:\updcdsf\Extras\LOGO\*.* h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\LOGO'
  'copy h:\updcdsf\Extras\OS2\*.* h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\OS2'
  'copy h:\updcdsf\Extras\QSINIT\*.* h:\updcd\burn\EXTRAS\QSINIT' 

/* Kopiere Dateien in disk_0 */
  'copy h:\updcdsf\disk_0\*.* h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0'

/* Kopiere Dateien in disk_1 */
  'copy h:\updcdsf\disk_1\*.* h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_1'

/* Kopiere Dateien in disk_2 */
  'copy h:\updcdsf\disk_2\*.* h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_2'

/* Kopiere Dateien in disk_3 */
  'copy h:\updcdsf\disk_3\*.* h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_3'

/* PACKEN */

/* DISK_0 */

/* Packe Disk_0 ROOT */
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\instexit.cmd h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\instexit.cmd /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os2ldr h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\os2ldr /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os2ldr.ini h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\os2ldr.ini /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os4krnl h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\os4krnl /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os4krnl.sym h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\os4krnl.sym /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os4logo h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\os4logo /A'

/* Packe Disk_0 Unterverzeichnis BOOT */
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\acpi4.sys h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\acpi4.sys /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\clock03c.sys h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\clock03.sys /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\clock03c.sym h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\clock03.sym /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\hd4disk.add h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\hd4disk.add /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\krnl_en.txt h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\krnl_en.txt /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\MemFiles.txt h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\MemFiles.txt /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\oemhlp.bpd h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\oemhlp.bpd /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\oemhlp.sym h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\oemhlp.sym /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os2ahci.add h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os2ahci.add /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os2ahci.sym h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os2ahci.sym /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os4apic.psd h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os4apic.psd /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os4apic.sym h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os4apic.sym /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\os4apic.txt h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\os4apic.txt /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\udf.ifs h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\udf.ifs /A'

/* Packe Disk_0 Unterverzeichnis DLL */
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\doscall4.dll h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\doscall4.dll /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\newcalls.dll h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\newcalls.dll /A'
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_0\uudf.dll h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_0\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\uudf.dll /A'

/* DISK_1 */

/* Packe Disk_1 Unterverzeichnis BOOT */   
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_1\config.x h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_1\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\config.x /A'

/* DISK_2 */

/* Packe Disk_2 Unterverzeichnis BOOT */   
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_2\testcfg.sys h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_2\bundle /H:\OS2\BOOT\testcfg.sys /A'

/* DISK_3 */

/* Packe Disk_3 ROOT */   
    'h:\updcdsf\pack2.exe h:\updcdsf\disk_3\instexit.cmd h:\updcd\burn\os2image\disk_3\bundle /H:\instexit.cmd /A'
 exit
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:14:03 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile