Author Topic: H.P. 3630 - anybody got one of these working on OS2?  (Read 8098 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
H.P. 3630 - anybody got one of these working on OS2?
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:44:57 am »
Got this printer working on Linux & Windoz but havn't been able to get it working on OS2 (surprise, suprise!)
Using the new H.P. Drivers it prints a test page with OS2 using CUPs but seems it's not capable of working using USB connection.
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks  klipp

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: H.P. 3630 - anybody got one of these working on OS2?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:04:35 am »
Hi Klipp,

Got this printer working on Linux & Windoz but havn't been able to get it working on OS2 (surprise, suprise!)
Using the new H.P. Drivers it prints a test page with OS2 using CUPs but seems it's not capable of working using USB connection.
Anybody got any ideas?

Which install of hplip are you using? my builds or the rpm ones? Make sure you have the latest usbresmg.sys/usbcalls.dll/usb drivers installed from Lars.

it should be possible to make it work if the test page works....

I would also try printing a pdf or postscript file from the command line using lpr.exe to rule out an issue with the configuration of the port driver.

debug logs are also useful.....

Cheers,

Paul

dpshea

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:29:55 pm »
I have this printer - it works with my eCs 2.2Beta - I have only connected via wireless not USB.  Works quite well with CUPS ver 2.1.0.

regards

David

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:43:53 pm »
Thanks Paul, I'm using HPLIP-3.16.9. This is the latest release from H.P. which they claim to be necessary for the printer to work with Linux. However I do not have Lars's usb drivers installed, I'm using 11.13 from Arca Noah.  I'll give what you suggested a try and and post the results.

David, thanks for you're response. Would you describe in a little more detail how you set it up to work with wireless using eCS?  Thanks

klipp

dpshea

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:17:22 pm »
Hi

I set the printer to use a fixed IP address (I had first set it up using windows) then having updated my ECS with the latest Cups files - I use ver 2.1.0 - I just used the printer install routine to select the printer (cups wizard program) and selected the Deskjet 3630 series which is listed under HP.  I then input the IP address of the printer in the manual settings field and selected create printer.  I use socket:// instead of LPD:// to access the printer which appears to be quicker. You can then adjust the settings using the CUPS localhost:631 page in your browser.

As the printer is an all-in-one - I could not get the scanner to work with Paul's HPLip port - however the printer allows you to remote scan using its web interface in ECS - which works really well and is cool!!

Hope that helps.

David (from down-under in Australia)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:43:35 pm »
Thanks David for the help, you're solutions works! (on most machines! but not the one I need it to work on!) I use a Lenovo MT-M 6088 for compiling and it won't install on it, but does on three other boxs (non-Lenovo) using GENMAC drivers for wireless.

Hey Paul, this printer is really great, low priced, until you buy ink cartridges for it, then its not so great if you do a lot of printing. The reason it can print a "test page" in CUPS but not actually print with eCS is because it has no RJ-45 port. So David's solution seems to be the only way to make it work, but it is a very acceptable solution.

klipp

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 01:36:56 am »
Hi Klipp,

When you say 'it won't install on it,'  What won't?  If it is wireless drivers do you actually need to do that?

I assume your computer is connected to some network.  If that is the case and you have a wireless router there is no need to install any wireless drivers in the computer because the printer should be able to talk to the wireless router.

I have that setup here and our HP colour laserjet connects to the USB port of a wireless print server and everyone can print to it by going to its IP address because we have a wireless access point attached to our wired network.  I assume that David has a similar setup.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 10:15:22 am »
Hi David,

As the printer is an all-in-one - I could not get the scanner to work with Paul's HPLip port - however the printer allows you to remote scan using its web interface in ECS - which works really well and is cool!!

I'd be interested in seeing some logs from sane + hplip if you're interested in getting it working?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 10:16:44 am »
Hi Klipp,

The reason it can print a "test page" in CUPS but not actually print with eCS is because it has no RJ-45 port. So David's solution seems to be the only way to make it work, but it is a very acceptable solution.

Not sure what you're trying to say here? My HP printer has no rj45 port but can print from CUPS via either USB or wireless...

Cheers,

Paul

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:58:08 pm »
Hey Paul, Mine does too now thanks to you and everybody else's help. I've never gotten along well with CUPs but I finally gotten it straightened out and it now makes sense to me, and as you already know an RJ45 port is not necessary.

Thanks to all of you, I'm a happy CUPS'er now!

klipp