Author Topic: Firefox 38 - DLL Hell  (Read 4484 times)

Jasmine

Firefox 38 - DLL Hell
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »
Hi all,

I've just made a clean install of eCS 2.1 on a VM as a testbed, to see if it (or ArcaOS) may make a decent migration path from Windows XP for my Thinkpad X201. However, I'm having an absolute nightmare with installing Firefox 38. An up to date browser is absolutely essential for me, so I am really frustrated. Basically I'm stuck in DLL hell and have no idea how to extricate myself. I am doing a clean install of eCS to get back to the start, but want to avoid getting myself in this mess again.

Is there anywhere where I can a simple warpin package for Firefox 38 that includes all the relevant dependencies? Failing that is there at least a guide that I can use to find out where on earth everything is meant to go, an exactly what I do and don't need?

All help much appreciated! :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 38 - DLL Hell
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:15:48 pm »
Well the correct way to install the Mozilla dependencies is to use RPM/YUM/ANPM. ANPM is the best as it is a graphical frontend to RPM/YUM. Available at https://www.arcanoae.com/resources/downloadables/arca-noae-package-manager/. Then just follow the instructions in Firefox's README.OS2 after installing ANPM.
ArcaOS will come with the basic RPM/YUM environment installed so Firefox will just work out of the box.
Otherwise you can follow the directions at http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:51:46 pm »
Hi Jasmine, welcome to the forum.

I just use Arca Noae Package Manager (RPM/YUM) and get the libraries from there. Just install all the required DLL's from there. 

libstdc++6 nspr nss libicu pixman cairo pango fontconfig freetype libkai

The most easy way that had worked for me to fight against the DLL Hell is to use a little function of XWorkplace.

Just go to "Local System - System Setup - OS/2 Kernel", go to "System Paths" and look for the LIBPATH DLLs that you have duplicated. Remove/rename any duplicated DLL, just let the ones inside x:\usr folder.

I hope it helps.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:53:57 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:09:21 am »
Hi Jasmine

The alternative to using yum/rpm is to visit this webpage and download required zip packages http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Regards

Pete

Jasmine

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 08:03:13 pm »
Thanks, all :) I didn't know about ANPM - will get going on that