Author Topic: Vbox5.06 beta  (Read 30913 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Vbox5.06 beta
« on: November 10, 2016, 06:02:09 pm »
A couple of points.

Where do we get the additions iso from?
Has anyone got a zip of the required DLLs that they could send me?

With thos two items I can try this out on several different computers.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Vbox5.06 beta
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:32:15 pm »
Hi Ivan.

Here you can get the ISO of the "additions" for that version:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.0.6/

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:56:54 pm »
2ivan: Additions iso can be downloaded from www.virtualbox.org download section: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.0.6/. All needed DLL' can be downloaded from yum repo (They are listed at Netlabs project page: http://trac.netlabs.org/vbox/ or in the readme file). Not sure why release maintainers didn't put the iso in distribution (I always put it in each build)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:34:25 pm »
Thanks both of you.

It appears that the missing DLLs are all available as zips so it will fun unzipping them all just to get what is needed.  Logic says that since these DLLs are needed they should be available either as a zip in with the program or as a separate zip.  That would make life easier for those of us that don't, and can't, have RPM/YUM on our computers (don't ask it is part of a contractual obligation).

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 08:54:18 pm »
but I don't see any reason to not use yum/rpm. It were created to make life easier. And yes, all DLL's are available as zips -- every rpm package is doubled by a zip archive. These zips are uploaded in parallel to rpm's to the same http/ftp server where the repository resides. Just look at http://rpm.netlabs.org/, for example, http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/. But you'll need to cherry-pick each zip, which is way harder than to just install a list of rpms with deps.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 12:02:33 am »
Under normal circumstances there would not be a problem but until someone pays to have the OS/2 implementation of RPM/YUM certified to work with all combinations of OS/2 Warp our contract precludes its use.

Any program we install on the production and office machines has to be a) an update of what is already there, and we have to produce full test reports before it is accepted (even any hardware updates have to go through a testing program before they are brought on line) or b) be certified by a government approved certifying agency. 

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:17:17 am »
2ivan: but I doubt that if rpm/yum is not certified to use on your environments then VBox will be certified, So, to install VBox it should be the same problems with VBox being accepted for use. Also, I doubt that the beta version of VBox should be at all installed into production machines for critical use :) So in those places, where Vbox can be used, yum/rpm can be used too.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 01:12:03 am »
Strange as it may seem when we first quoted for this contract we had the first Vbox port from Paul in the system we proposed.  They put the full disk image through the certification process and it passed.  Thus this port of Vbox will be an update which is acceptable provided we pass and package it according to the terms of the contract.  Not the actual beta version but by using that we get a head start on the testing.

As a matter of interest we managed to get OpenOffice accepted because we could show it was an 'update' of StarOffice even using many of the SO file names.  I also know that at some stage in the future we are going to have some problems with running OS/2 on some future hardware.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:01:16 pm »
Hi All

After a bit of faffing around I finally got vbox running and have a win7 vm installed.

Thanks to the developers for all their efforts but could I ask them to Please include a list of the zip packages required for us "non-yum/rpm users" as trying to figure out if the required libraries are already installed and at the correct level can take a while.

I could not find these libraries but vbox runs without them:-

libcurl - I do have the curl mentioned separately as required in the readme but could not find this library
libgcc-fwd - is this part of the libc/gcc libraries and included in the zip/warpin packages?
libqt4 - presumably part of qt4? I have 4.7.3 installed
libstdc++6 - presumably stdcpp6?
libstdc++ - presumably stdcpp?
libsupc++6 - presumably supcpp6?
libsupc++ - presumably supcpp?

The only problem that I have run into when running my Win7 vm is that windows update seems to have screwed up. I was sure that I had installed the SP1 update and it shows in the list of applied updates. However, when I tried to update Internet Explorer to IE11 the update failed because "SP1 is not installed". Looking at the Windows system information I believe it should show SP1 as installed but it does not.

How do I get windows update to re-apply the SP1 update?

Regards

Pete

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:21:22 pm »
2pete:
curl is curl7.dll
libgcc-fwd is gccXXX.dll and forwarders to it
libqt4 is all Qt libraries (QtCore, QtGui, QtNet etc.).

The list of DLL's requited is: aio, crypt32, crypto10, curl7, expat7, jpeg, libvpx2, libxml2, libcx0, png1616, pthr01, SDL12, ssl10, ssp, stdcpp, stdcpp6, supcpp6, urpo, vncclie0, vncserv0

Not sure if it's complete, but it seems. All required packages in zip archives are at Netlabs rpm repo server, http://rpm.netlabs.org, so you can take them one by one.

PS: I can try repacking all required DLL's if you'll acknowledge that all I listed above is sufficient (it was sufficient before, but I did not tested after that as I have no machine without UNIX ports installed).
Regarding Win7 SP1 -- I don't know. Maybe, someone else will help.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 10:24:38 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 11:27:40 pm »
I had some strange errors until I installed libidl and and on first start it failed due to missing libaio

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 12:58:45 am »
2Dave Yeo: libidl seems to be only needed for VBox/XPCOM IDL compiler (xpidl.exe). It should be not needed to run VBox, only to build it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:42 am »
@Valery, you'd think that libidl is used for idl files but test it by moving idl20.dll out of the way and try to create a new virtual machine.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:07:23 am »
How do I get windows update to re-apply the SP1 update?

Try: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15090/windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 06:10:49 pm »
2Dave Yeo: Just tried to remove idl20.dll from the LIBPATH -- VM creates and starts successfully without it. So, see no problems here.