Author Topic: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions  (Read 47216 times)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:09 pm »
2AndiB:

Is TAPOS2 part of VBOX? Who can fix it?

It is not the part of VBox. It was just allowed to use with VBox by GenMac author. TapOS2 support in VBox is now broken, not TapOS2 itself. It was removed from official VBox sources, for some reason, since some version, but I tried to return it back, with no success, yet. I did something wrong. Need to repair in next VBox builds.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:44:35 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 06:28:14 pm »
Does anyone know how to get rid of the 'mouse pointer integration' notice bar that is at the top of the guest program window?  clicking on any of the icons on the right does nothing (the X and /) and if I try to click on a program icon under it it just fill up more screen space.

You can click on a "Do not show this message again" button at right of the message itself.

Is vbox supposed to support more than one processor core?  The test machine we built has a 2 core processor but I get an error if I try and use more that one core (most of our machines have 4 core processors as do our clients).

No, AFAIK, for using more than one processor, you need the hardware virtualization enabled, which is not supported on OS/2 host atm.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »
Valery, I tried that and neither of the buttons on the right of the message do anything even after a restart of the VM.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 12:04:57 am »
2ivan: I don't know -- maybe, you pressed another button -- there are two buttons at the right side of each notice.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 04:44:01 pm »
Agreed, there are two buttons.  One is the X, which I assume is supposed to close the bar, and the other is the / over something that looks like a folder which you say represents the 'do not show this again'.

The problem is that neither one does anything.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
Overall I really like this beta. I am using OS / 2 host and xp as guest.
Important problem: During the optimization tests, I had to kill the virtualbox, and the memory I had in use at the time in the Vbox, it has been locked in OS2, preventing me from restarting xp, until restarting OS / 2 .
Other small problems:
The mouse notepad.exe gets almost transparent and in other similar windows, and changing the icon does not solve the problem.
During the installation of Java 8 ..., the printer, and some other program I have seen small graphical errors, that have not affected for its operation.
If I access a JFS drive it works fine. But if I access a FAT32 drive, the performance is very very slow, but it works !!!
In my case the best balance of memory and screen, have been 768mb of 4gb and 74mb of 128mb screen.
Saludos

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 08:57:58 pm »
ivan, you are right, neither button does anything (so it seems!) but after doing that,  go up to the full screen/windowed screen icon and change the screen from what ever state you were using in and then change it back and that will clear the bar, at least it does so here.

klipp

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 09:32:41 pm »
2ivan, rklipp: yes, I see the notice not disappearing from the screen, but after some clicking on "do not show this again" the message does not any more appear on further boots. This is working for me, at least. Maybe, you need some more attempts.

2roberto: So, what's the result? VBox hanged? -- Try to kill it with watchcat. Did not understood about mouse notepad and changing the icon.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2016, 11:43:19 pm »
2roberto: So, what's the result? VBox hanged?
No hang, I start with a ram aprox. 1400mb, and display a title box Vbox Guru... but I lost the graphic display, and the control over the program, and decide to kill it.
-- Try to kill it with watchcat.
I do not know this program, but go to test it.
Did not understood about mouse notepad and changing the icon.
The problem is that in a  white whidow, the mouse is white too, and I lost it to my eyes. In this capture the mouse is black (similar a I leter over the second L in hello), but repeat I see white. See photo.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2016, 01:37:26 am »
Hi.
I had try to install or run the OS, the system crashes.
eComStation 2.1(non SMP,),Panorama v1.06(1600x900) with i3 Onboard graphic.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2016, 07:51:06 am »
Hi.
I had try to install or run the OS, the system crashes.
eComStation 2.1(non SMP,),Panorama v1.06(1600x900) with i3 Onboard graphic.

Are you trying to install eCom 2.1 as a guest ?

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1189.msg11222.html#msg11222

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2016, 10:09:52 am »
Greggory Shaw、Thank you.
I did not know that eComStation is useless.
However, the system crashed also in Windows XP.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2016, 11:53:27 am »
I've tried running my WinXP guest .vdis which I used with the older vbox1.6 for years on a new box with the new vbox5.0x beta. But on that machine I see a weird window refreshing problem. Very often a window in the XP guest is not refreshed (repainted) when opened or some content changes. F.i. starting an application very often do not draw the window correctly. Sometimes only parts are drawn (menus or some content of a subwindow).

When I move over a host window over the guest (f.i. 4os2 window) then the guest graphic is correctly repainted. Is this a know issue? Maybe in conjunction with Panorama? On this test machine I use Panorama while on my regular system which works with vbox1.6 correctly I'm using SNAP.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2016, 02:10:42 pm »
nayo, why would you want to run a copy of the host operating system as a virtual machine guest on that host? 

A virtual machine will seldom run as well as the host mainly because the host is running on real hardware and the guest has to run on virtualised hardware.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
Andi, I just copied our XP.vdi over to the test machine we are using for testing this version of vbox and it runs without any problems.  The test machine uses SNAP for video.

That leads to the conclusion that the Panorama video drivers may be the problem.  We can't test that as we don't have the Panorama drivers to play with.