Author Topic: Samba 4.4.x Netdrive plugin for OS/2  (Read 50756 times)

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Samba 4.4.x Netdrive plugin for OS/2
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 06:16:01 am »
Samba 4.6 seems to work well here too with Win10 and latest Samba/2 server - thanks!

Thanks guys - http://smedley.id.au/tmp/ndpsmb-3.2-samba46-20170317.zip fixes an issue where the client would fail to connect if WORKGROUP was not set

Cheers,

Paul
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:23:54 am by Paul Smedley »

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:55 pm »
Paul,

I'm getting a 404 'not found' on that link....

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 12:24:27 am »
Oops - link edited above...

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2017, 03:42:51 pm »
...& a Samba 4.6.0 client (this one needed more source changes that the above)
smbcln46.dll and smbclient.exe:
http://smedley.id.au/tmp/smbcln46-4.6.0-20170312.zip

ndpsmb.dll based on Samba 4.6.0 is at http://smedley.id.au/tmp/ndpsmb-3.2-samba46-20170313.zip (needs smbcln46.dll from the above)

Feedback appreciated - Samba 4.4 is security fixes only now.

Cheers,

Paul

Took a stab at the move to 4.6 and thrilled to report a SUCCESS!!!

Thanks Paul for continuing this work and huge thanks to Greggory, as I had originally in my update process missed something which resulted in the NDFS not recognizing the updated plugin...reviewing your docs allowed me to proof things out a step at a time!

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 09:18:11 pm »
Hi Dariusz,

...& a Samba 4.6.0 client (this one needed more source changes that the above)
smbcln46.dll and smbclient.exe:
http://smedley.id.au/tmp/smbcln46-4.6.0-20170312.zip

ndpsmb.dll based on Samba 4.6.0 is at http://smedley.id.au/tmp/ndpsmb-3.2-samba46-20170313.zip (needs smbcln46.dll from the above)

Feedback appreciated - Samba 4.4 is security fixes only now.

Took a stab at the move to 4.6 and thrilled to report a SUCCESS!!!

Thanks Paul for continuing this work and huge thanks to Greggory, as I had originally in my update process missed something which resulted in the NDFS not recognizing the updated plugin...reviewing your docs allowed me to proof things out a step at a time!

Thanks for the feedback - one of the future goals is to make this easier to install - whether that ends up being rpm or wpi I don't know yet.

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2017, 03:48:55 am »
Are any of you guys running into problems attempting to do COPY/PASTE to a SAMBA target???

I was trying to do so today actually...a quick movie, attempted to do a WPS/XWP copy/paste and this would produce a SYS0266:

=== START ===
SYS0266: The specified file was not copied.

EXPLANATION: Either the source and target files are not in the same
file system or the operating system does not support COPY for this
file system.

ACTION: Check the source and target file names and retry the operation.
=== STOP ===

...and yet going to CLI I had absolutely no problem accomplishing this...any ideas?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2017, 05:54:13 am »
Wouldn't the fact that they are not on the file system trigger the sys2066?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 07:29:18 am »
Are any of you guys running into problems attempting to do COPY/PASTE to a SAMBA target???

I was trying to do so today actually...a quick movie, attempted to do a WPS/XWP copy/paste and this would produce a SYS0266:

=== START ===

file system.

=== STOP ===

...and yet going to CLI I had absolutely no problem accomplishing this...any ideas?

Hi Dariusz,

Can you open a ticket for this at netlabs Samba? Including steps to reproduce? I'll attempt to reproduce this afternoon when I get home.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 09:10:58 am »

=== START ===

file system.

=== STOP ===

Hi Dariusz,

Can you open a ticket for this at netlabs Samba? Including steps to reproduce? I'll attempt to reproduce this afternoon when I get home.

OK - I can reproduce - BUT - only if I try and copy to my q:\ - which is read only - as it's just a map of all the shares on my Samba server.  If I copy to q:\public which is a valid read/write share on my samba server - the copy/paste via wps works fine.

If you're scenario is different, please open a ticket, and preferably attach a log.ndpsmb

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »
Paul,

...OK - I can reproduce - BUT - only if I try and copy to my q:\ - which is read only - as it's just a map of all the shares on my Samba server.  If I copy to q:\public which is a valid read/write share on my samba server - the copy/paste via wps works fine.

If you're scenario is different, please open a ticket, and preferably attach a log.ndpsmb...

Alright, I double checked in my NAS box's setup that all clients had FULL access...heck, to make sure I actually went through the 'Advanced' option and expanded to specific user_ids, where 'admin' happens to be the ID I use for the samba mapping in NetDrive. So I think the NAS setups are correct, and it always works through command line interface, just the WPS that and Larsen Commander both fail.

Regarding log.ndpsmb...what do I need to do to turn this on? I have an old version of this log, which grew to some 96Meg, I then shut something off, just don't remember what. It may have been the 'Global Settings => Debug' check-box in the EVFSGUI control app, but I rarely use this, instead I am typically using NetDrive and do not see anything there to enable/disable the DEBUG. No problem going back to EVFSGUI though...

Is this a CONFIG.SYS SET=xxx I could do?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2017, 12:15:11 am »
Paul,

...OK - I can reproduce - BUT - only if I try and copy to my q:\ - which is read only - as it's just a map of all the shares on my Samba server.  If I copy to q:\public which is a valid read/write share on my samba server - the copy/paste via wps works fine.

If you're scenario is different, please open a ticket, and preferably attach a log.ndpsmb...

Alright, I double checked in my NAS box's setup that all clients had FULL access...heck, to make sure I actually went through the 'Advanced' option and expanded to specific user_ids, where 'admin' happens to be the ID I use for the samba mapping in NetDrive. So I think the NAS setups are correct, and it always works through command line interface, just the WPS that and Larsen Commander both fail.

Regarding log.ndpsmb...what do I need to do to turn this on? I have an old version of this log, which grew to some 96Meg, I then shut something off, just don't remember what. It may have been the 'Global Settings => Debug' check-box in the EVFSGUI control app, but I rarely use this, instead I am typically using NetDrive and do not see anything there to enable/disable the DEBUG. No problem going back to EVFSGUI though...

Is this a CONFIG.SYS SET=xxx I could do?

To enable logging, please add an empty file called ndpsmb.dbg into the root drive, then restart ndctl.exe

To minimise 'noise' in the log - delete %LOGS%\log.ndpsmb before attempted the WPS copy, then save a copy once the error is  created. These logs can be quite 'noisy' :)

Either email me the log, or ideally attach it to a bug report at http://trac.netlabs.org/samba/newticket

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2017, 02:39:55 am »
Paul,

...To minimise 'noise' in the log - delete %LOGS%\log.ndpsmb before attempted the WPS copy, then save a copy once the error is  created. These logs can be quite 'noisy' :)

Either email me the log, or ideally attach it to a bug report at http://trac.netlabs.org/samba/newticket...

OK, ticket logged, pls see http://trac.netlabs.org/samba/ticket/309. I detailed my steps in the ticket, attached the log.ndpsmb as well.

Thanks!

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 11:49:43 am »
Hi Dariusz,

Paul,

...To minimise 'noise' in the log - delete %LOGS%\log.ndpsmb before attempted the WPS copy, then save a copy once the error is  created. These logs can be quite 'noisy' :)

Either email me the log, or ideally attach it to a bug report at http://trac.netlabs.org/samba/newticket...

OK, ticket logged, pls see http://trac.netlabs.org/samba/ticket/309. I detailed my steps in the ticket, attached the log.ndpsmb as well.

OK this should be fixed in http://smedley.id.au/tmp/ndpsmb.zip

Basically, the copy failed as the remote FS doesn't support EA's, but the plugin must have had EA Support ticked (please confirm).

When the EASet failed, it returned a return code which was passed back to Netdrive, which didn't understand the rc, so basically just said the copy failed, hence the SYS0266.The code is now modified such that if the EAset fails, an appropriate rc is returned which says that EA's aren't supported.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 03:52:42 am »
Hi Paul,

...Basically, the copy failed as the remote FS doesn't support EA's, but the plugin must have had EA Support ticked (please confirm).

When the EASet failed, it returned a return code which was passed back to Netdrive, which didn't understand the rc, so basically just said the copy failed, hence the SYS0266.The code is now modified such that if the EAset fails, an appropriate rc is returned which says that EA's aren't supported.

OK, I tested this using the ndpsmb.dll plugin that was provided.

So the results are:

1) with the share defined as supporting EXT attributes the behaviour remains the same, the copy/paste operation still produces a SYS0266 and fails, there is a file created in the remote directory but it is of 0 (zero) bytes

2) with the share defined as NOT supporting EXT attributes the copy/paste completes successfully

For comparison, I executed the same "test.cmd" file copy/paste against other shares on my network, they were:

1) Windows XP - worked successfully with EXT ATR = Y

2) Windows Pro - worked successfully with EXT ATR = Y

I've attached the new log.ndpsmb debug output. So it appears the changes made did not have an impact.

To make sure I was using the correct DLL I used "repmod ndpsmb.dll -u" to un-load the DLL before un-zipping the new DLL into the destination directory. Once un-zipped I confirmed the size/date/time stamp reflected the new DLL.

I updated the ticket with exactly the information stated here and I attached the new log.ndpsmb file.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 04:11:27 am »
Hi Dariusz,

...Basically, the copy failed as the remote FS doesn't support EA's, but the plugin must have had EA Support ticked (please confirm).

OK, I tested this using the ndpsmb.dll plugin that was provided.

So the results are:

1) with the share defined as supporting EXT attributes the behaviour remains the same, the copy/paste operation still produces a SYS0266 and fails, there is a file created in the remote directory but it is of 0 (zero) bytes

2) with the share defined as NOT supporting EXT attributes the copy/paste completes successfully

For comparison, I executed the same "test.cmd" file copy/paste against other shares on my network, they were:

1) Windows XP - worked successfully with EXT ATR = Y

2) Windows Pro - worked successfully with EXT ATR = Y

I've attached the new log.ndpsmb debug output. So it appears the changes made did not have an impact.

To make sure I was using the correct DLL I used "repmod ndpsmb.dll -u" to un-load the DLL before un-zipping the new DLL into the destination directory. Once un-zipped I confirmed the size/date/time stamp reflected the new DLL.

I updated the ticket with exactly the information stated here and I attached the new log.ndpsmb file.

Pretty sure that restarting ndctl.exe will fix this. repmod allows you to copy over the new dll, it doesn't load it into memory.

Cheers,

Paul