Author Topic: I need help!  (Read 12527 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
I need help!
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:21:10 am »
I'm giving up my desktop PC. Or the PC is giving  me up. Or I'm giving up eCs after about 25 years!!
So far I have had  desktops, but I think it is stupid to buy a new one. I need a laptop where I can install both OS2/eCs and Win10. The short question is: what do you recommend.
I am using  programs like Scribus (does not work any more under eCs), GenealogyJ and a lot of picture handling. I don't mention the programs like Thunderbird,  Firefox, OpenOffice, PMView etc. I use the PC every day and often for many hours.
I should absolutely like to run these programs under OS2.  I have connected scanner (does not work under eCs), printer (have to be postscript to print).
As you see, this is not a very special installation.
I want to be able to connect a "normal" keyboard and  a "big" screen
Some years ago I installed a SSD disk. I guess that was the time when AirBoot started to give me a lot of trouble. Today I reboot "manually".

So what can you recommend. 

Thank you.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: I need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »
From my position here reading your problems it sounds as if you have a very messed up system.

OK, I don't have eCS but we use the OS/2 version it is based on.

Scribus v1.4.5 works without any problems and even our Epson flat bed USB scanners work with Tame.

Now the question is what size laptop do you want and how portable does it have to be?  Then you need to consider how you connect to your peripherals (scanner, printer etc.), do you use wireless or a wired connection?

One thing I am wondering about is why you would want slurp10 (what win10 is called in most IT department because of its reporting everything you do back to Redmond).  If you do get a notebook with 10 on it it is very unlikely to allow you to install anything else because the UEFI lockdown.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but you need to define exactly what you want to do and what programs you want to run then look for hardware specifications that will support that.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:06:31 pm »
I doubt that you can get a new laptop that'll take a new install of OS/2 (eCS, AROS) and be worth using. Too many things unsupported.
One option is to find a Linux friendly laptop, install something like Linux Mint and run eCS and Win10 in virtual machines.
Win 10 has so much wrong with it, from the spying to the rolling updates that you have to pretty well take that running it in a virtual machine is safer. Easy to roll back and can be used only when really needed.
eCS gets the benefits of the hardware being translated to supported hardware. USB3 is seen as USB2, the wireless is seen as a regular network, similar with the video.

ak120

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 05:38:03 pm »
The best option nowadays is a notebook preinstalled with Windows 7, so it's capable to run Virtual PC 2007 SP1 with OS/2 guest systems. Of course the useable PM screen size will be limited to 1600x1200. But that's much better than using OS/2 guests inside of VirtualBox which limits the PM screen size to 1280x1024 or 1024x768 and has no folder sharing and a non-working mouse integration inside Win-OS/2 full-screen sessions.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »
Martin send to me this in this foro :

That the machine/processor is 64bits it is not a problem. A 32bits can run on a 64bits processor, for the majority of PCs I was able to try.

To be honest, I can not know which modern laptop model to recommend, I can only dare to say:
- Check if the BIOS has UEFI legacy mode available. You will need put UEFI on Legacy mode if you want OS/2-eCS to boot.
- I recommend that the machine has V-TX .. or AMD-V, in case you want to run VM's (for example OS/2 as guest on Windows host).

I think you will have  hard time finding a modern Wifi card that is compatible. We really require new drivers about it.
For the moment some idea is to get a laptop that allows you to remove the wifi card and install an older one buying it from ebay. (and that may also be a lottery)

I really hope that this changes in the future with the release of Blue Lion, but that is on 3Q of 2016.

My opinion:
Lenovo or Hp, i7, 4gb ram minimun, nvidia more mb better, and leave some money to upgrade with www.Arcanoae.com
At this point I am thinking of using only OS / 2 with a VitualBox as guest xp or win10. Although for now I am using dual boot.
Saludos

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Blonde Guy?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 06:06:56 pm »
They might not be new but there are a couple of laptops with eComStation pre-installed.
http://www.blondeguy.com/ComputersForSale.html

Arca Noae has software for eCS - OS/2
https://www.arcanoae.com/

It would be nice to get a computer with eComStation or Blue Lion pre-installed.

eComStation.RU - Howto: Install eCS 2 on modern Laptop keeping ...
http://en.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=214
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 08:48:51 pm »
Hi Roberto, just to correct my own quote:

I really hope that this changes in the future with the release of Blue Lion, but that is on 3Q of 2016.

I really hope that this changes in the future with the release of Blue Lion, but that is on 1Q of 2017 :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:07:10 am »
Hi Einar,

I'm giving up my desktop PC. Or the PC is giving  me up. Or I'm giving up eCs after about 25 years!!
So far I have had  desktops, but I think it is stupid to buy a new one. I need a laptop where I can install both OS2/eCs and Win10. The short question is: what do you recommend.
I am using  programs like Scribus (does not work any more under eCs), GenealogyJ and a lot of picture handling. I don't mention the programs like Thunderbird,  Firefox, OpenOffice, PMView etc. I use the PC every day and often for many hours.

In what way does Scribus not work under OS/2 any more?

Cheers,

Paul.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Blonde Guy?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »
They might not be new but there are a couple of laptops with eComStation pre-installed.
http://www.blondeguy.com/ComputersForSale.html

Arca Noae has software for eCS - OS/2
https://www.arcanoae.com/

It would be nice to get a computer with eComStation or Blue Lion pre-installed.
Thanks for the mention. I've got the last laptops to support WiFi on eCS. Even so, they are old. I'm not interested in Windows 10. I use an iPhone instead. I'm more interested in interoperability between devices. FWIW, buy a good OS/2 machine and maybe a Windows 10 phone if you must have Windows.

When Blue Lion is released, I plan to offer pre-loaded laptops.[/td][/tr][/table]
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »
From my position here reading your problems it sounds as if you have a very messed up system.

OK, I don't have eCS but we use the OS/2 version it is based on.

Scribus v1.4.5 works without any problems and even our Epson flat bed USB scanners work with Tame.

Now the question is what size laptop do you want and how portable does it have to be?  Then you need to consider how you connect to your peripherals (scanner, printer etc.), do you use wireless or a wired connection?

One thing I am wondering about is why you would want slurp10 (what win10 is called in most IT department because of its reporting everything you do back to Redmond).  If you do get a notebook with 10 on it it is very unlikely to allow you to install anything else because the UEFI lockdown.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but you need to define exactly what you want to do and what programs you want to run then look for hardware specifications that will support that.

Thank you Ivan.
The problems with win 10 I didn't know about. I have installed win 10 on my desktop together with eCs, and that has worked fine. But I can't see why the wired method should matter. My printer (EPSON WorkForce Pro) is wireless and my CanoScan 2000F is wired (USB), and so is my Brother laser printer.
I need an external "big" screen for working with Scribus.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 05:56:39 pm »
I doubt that you can get a new laptop that'll take a new install of OS/2 (eCS, AROS) and be worth using. Too many things unsupported.
One option is to find a Linux friendly laptop, install something like Linux Mint and run eCS and Win10 in virtual machines.
Win 10 has so much wrong with it, from the spying to the rolling updates that you have to pretty well take that running it in a virtual machine is safer. Easy to roll back and can be used only when really needed.
eCS gets the benefits of the hardware being translated to supported hardware. USB3 is seen as USB2, the wireless is seen as a regular network, similar with the video.
Thank you.
I have to let my son look into this as he is an Linux expert.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 06:11:07 pm »
Martin send to me this in this foro :

That the machine/processor is 64bits it is not a problem. A 32bits can run on a 64bits processor, for the majority of PCs I was able to try.

To be honest, I can not know which modern laptop model to recommend, I can only dare to say:
- Check if the BIOS has UEFI legacy mode available. You will need put UEFI on Legacy mode if you want OS/2-eCS to boot.
- I recommend that the machine has V-TX .. or AMD-V, in case you want to run VM's (for example OS/2 as guest on Windows host).

I think you will have  hard time finding a modern Wifi card that is compatible. We really require new drivers about it.
For the moment some idea is to get a laptop that allows you to remove the wifi card and install an older one buying it from ebay. (and that may also be a lottery)

My opinion:
Lenovo or Hp, i7, 4gb ram minimun, nvidia more mb better, and leave some money to upgrade with www.Arcanoae.com
At this point I am thinking of using only OS / 2 with a VitualBox as guest xp or win10. Although for now I am using dual boot.
Saludos

Thank you.
It seems to be a bit complicated to find the right laptop. And now I wonder if there really are anyone out there that runs eCs and Win10 on the same modern laptop.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »
The reason I mentioned a wired network connection is that it is generally faster than a wireless one plus there is a much greater probability that OS/2 eCS has a driver for the network chipset.  Other than that we use an all wired network for security reasons because wireless can be easily hacked.

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:20 pm »
Hi Einar,

In what way does Scribus not work under OS/2 any more?

Cheers,

Paul.

First of all - I don't want to use much time on this for now. Daily I run Scribus 1.4.5 in Win 10, and that works. But I will try to make it running again in eCs when my HW problem is solved. I will anyway tell you what happens now.

Running Scr 1.4.0. The start up works fine and I can create a new document and save it, but after a restart of 1.4.0 it crashes when I try to open this  newly created document or any other document. No error messages.

Running Scr 1.4.4 Displays the splash screen and checks for fonts and crashes. In the second start the splash screen was displayed and begun checking for fonts and crashes immediately.  Here Scr was started in a command box and from former run these messages were displayed in the box.

Running Scr 1.4.5 The splash screen shows up and crashes.

Both last year and this year I had a lot of communication about bugs  with Mantis Bug Tracker: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=13807 . And back in 2011 and 2012 you and I tried to solve other problems with Scribus.

Cheers

Einar

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:24:17 pm »
I will not tell you if scribus works in Ecs2.0 or 2.1
But I have installed it in Ecs 2.2 beta2 without any problem and in a few minutes. The probe simply worked perfect and erased it,
Because I like the True Spectra more, it is smaller, it is simple and it has the Rexx Api. And now it's free was in Hobbes.
Nor do I make extreme use of the program, small advertising campaigns.
What I can tell you is that in Ecs2.0 or 2.1, you have to be very careful not to have duplicate dlls, or old versions installed.
In Ecs2.2b2, this is greatly facilitated with the application anpm.exe, which helps you to have updates to the day with a few clicks,
And warns you of potential dll problems that are not compatible with the new ones.
To find duplicate dlls you can use BSinfo, or other programs. I think if you fail it is for an incorrect installation.
Saludos