Author Topic: Change the Forum Headings?  (Read 9502 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Change the Forum Headings?
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »
Perhaps one could change the forum headings from 'OS2 eCS' to OS2 eCS BL' so that Blue Lion is considered part of it?
 ;D
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Change the Forum Headings?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:56:33 pm »
Hi

Do you mean the text and headers of this page?
http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php

I will check out it, but I would not include Blue Lion, since it will be called ArcaOS :)
So it will be OS/2, eCS and ArcaOS.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 09:15:44 pm »
ok, it seems that nothing for broken when I changed the description of the forum boards.

I was wondering if there can be something to simplify putting together "OS/2, eComStation and ArcaOS". Just like when you say Linux you know there are like a million distributions, but they all belong to the Linux family.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »
Just say... "OS/2 and derivatives".

For search bot purposes, OS/2, eComStation and ArcaOS are still going to be mentioned in posts post headings anyway.
:)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:50:03 am »
Hi

Do you mean the text and headers of this page?
http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php

I will check out it, but I would not include Blue Lion, since it will be called ArcaOS :)
So it will be OS/2, eCS and ArcaOS.

Regards

I think ArcaOS sounds better than Blue Lion.

Just say... "OS/2 and derivatives".

For search bot purposes, OS/2, eComStation and ArcaOS are still going to be mentioned in posts post headings anyway.
:)

I think that is a good idea.
 8)
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »
Hi

My other idea was to call us "The Warp Community" and start consolidate the OSes calling those "Warp based operating system", but that will require to start calling it "Warp" instead of OS/2 so just saying "Warp" will mean "OS/2 Warp, eComStation and ArcaOS".

Too radical, right ? And "WarpWorld.com" is already taken :(

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 05:17:57 pm »
I like that idea.
 8)
BigGoofyGuy

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »
I've always thought of Warp as being another derivative of OS/2.
Warp is OS/2 v3 and/or 4, it is IBM's version of OS/2 going forward from the IBM/Microsoft split.
Now we have other versions going forward from IBM's OS/2 but OS/2 is still the common link.
Just the way I view the OS/2 world :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 06:29:25 pm »
OS/2 version 2.0 was the first version after the split. I still have a copy. The name Warp was used for version 3 a few years later.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:30:32 pm »
Hi Greg,

Note I did say going forward from the IBM/Microsoft split :)

You could get MS or IBM branded OS/2. I have IBM branded OS/2 v1.1EE, v1.3, v2.0, v2.1 etc. I dont think I own an actual Microsoft branded OS/2.

I've been told that OS/2 v2.11 was the first version released after the split by some, and other IBMer's have told me that it was the last version that was a collaborative effort but still released after the official split. I do know that MS management had already decided that Windows was the way forward for MS well before they told IBM they were dropping OS/2 so reduced the resources allocated to IBM and OS/2. I got the impression that IBM themselves had to be hit over the head with a clue bat.

v2.xx's were still being produced with half hearted help and lack of enthusiasm from MS at the tail end of Microsoft's agreements with IBM. A lot of politics involved in v2.xx's. When IBM put more effort into it, as well as replacing more Microsoft code with there own was about the time they did there own confused marketing push. One part of IBM wanted OS/2 Warp to succeed, the other saw more money to be made supporting only MS-Windows. Being an ex IBM contractor I would have to say back in the mid 90's the money was certainly in the MS-Windows support on IBM (and other) hardware. There was little money to be made in pushing OS/2 compared to pushing MS-Windows. Bean counters ruled.

I believe it was this push that prompted the major release number increase as well as the term Warp.

I'll have to go looking through my old notes I had from Chuck Norcutt who died recently, and others to refresh my memory.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 02:41:47 pm »
Hello Ian:
You are correct that Microsoft helped develop V 2 but the roll out was muddled by the sudden interest of Microsoft in pushing Windows 3.1 so that by the time V 2.0 hit the street it was IBM only.
As to Warp. Even before it was released IBM had agreed to basically pull the plug on OS/2.
I had contacts with a leading OS/2 executive who was part of the discussions with Microsoft.
The topic was the price of 3.1 paid by IBM which had a lower price than other PC makers.
The PC division saw Windows 3.1 and IBM PCs as a cash cow.
Microsoft told IBM that if they did not stop pushing OS/2 on t he public the price for IBM to buy Windows was going
to go way up. IBM then agreed to only push OS/2 to corporate customers. That accounted for the very disjointed
add campaigns for OS/2 and the quick abandonment made obvious by 1995. The policy of only "targeting" corporate
customers became public bu not the reason.