Author Topic: TooLAME / TwoLAME  (Read 6346 times)

xynixme

TooLAME / TwoLAME
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:39:07 am »
Can a user of GCC please have a go at a lazy port (no changes or easy changes, if any, only) TooLAME (old) or TwoLAME (newer)?

There is a TooLAME for OS/2 (v0.2i), but that version is so old that it requires an usual GCC2*.DLL. This GCC DLL can be found in packages like 2007's MozTools, but not in common, more modern GCC DLL distributions.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: TooLAME / TwoLAME
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:23:20 am »
Is there any reason to not just use lame? I can port twolame later if you need it.

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:54:23 am »
Is there any reason to not just use lame?

Apparently. As such it's a MP2 spin-off of LAME.

Quote from: Wikipedia (edited)
TooLAME is a MP2 audio encoder written primarily by Mike Cheng. While there are innumerable MP2 encoders, TooLAME is well-known and widely used for its particularly high audio quality. It has been unmaintained since 2003, but is directly succeeded by the TwoLAME code fork (the latest version, TwoLAME 0.3.13, was released January 21, 2011)

Quote from: Dave Yeo
I can port twolame later if you need it.

If I'd really, really need it, then perhaps I would have asked for a port instead of a lazy port. So far it was worth keeping and installing it. Despite of the required, missing old GCC DLL. Hopefully just processing the makefile is about all it takes to obtain a more up-to-date EXE, without any extraordinary efforts. The latest TooLAME/2 was uploaded to Hobbes in 2001.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:03 am »
FFmpeg does MP2's. I need to investigate why libsndfile's configure is failing to detect some stuff.
Twolame has a dependency on libsndfile, which in turn has dependencies on flac, ogg, and vorbis at least.
I haven't looked at Toolame yet. it'll be a couple of days. Ping me towards the weekend in case I get distracted  :)

xynixme

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:17:46 pm »
I haven't looked at Toolame yet. it'll be a couple of days. Ping me towards the weekend in case I get distracted  :)

Take it easy, I haven't even looked at WHATSNEWs. An updated TooLAME could be fine too, because an alledged 40% speed gain isn't that important. The main page of TwoLAME does mention that librarr indeed:

Features added to TwoLAME:

Fully thread-safe
Static and shared library (libtwolame)
API very similar to LAME’s (for easy porting)
Frontend supports wider range of input files (using libsndfile)
automake/libtool/pkgconfig based build system
Written in Standard C (ISO C99 compliant)

If I really have to ping you, then I'll link you and this image to a talking arse... :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile

xynixme

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:29:03 pm »
Great, thank you. Downloaded, installed, and deleted the GCC2*.DLL file which was required by the previous OS/2 release...