Author Topic: files (and directories) not showing up in WPS  (Read 6639 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
files (and directories) not showing up in WPS
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:22:17 am »
I recently (last week) installed from scratch ECS beta 2.2. I noticed tonight that I have a file which does not show up in the WPS drives object. It does show up in and command window with a DIR, and it does show up in Larsen Commander and FM/2 stuff, but it does not appear in a DETAILS, or any other WPS view of the directory.

This particular file is on an ECS server which I recently recreated. But I have seen the issue before locally, with entire directories not showing up in the WPS when they do show up other ways, e.g. DIR from command line and in other file managers.

Anyone have any idea what is going on, and how to fix it?

Oh - to make matters even stranger,  the file that doesn't show up is a data file, and I cannot set the default action to something other than Properties and have it stick.  When I double click on it (in one of the file managers like FM/2 or Larsen) it doesn't follow the association - meaning it doesn't start the program associated with the file. And when i open the properties to change the default action on open to the one associated with the file it ignores the setting and goes back to Properties.

system: ecs beta 2.2. xWorkplace 1.0.11,

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: files (and directories) not showing up in WPS
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:48:35 pm »
That sounds to me as if the EAs of that file are corrupt.

You can use noEA.exe from the lxlite package to remove them. Most likely you need a WPS restart to make the changes take effect, because of the WPS caching.

I would first test that locally: Copy the file to the client and try it there. After success, go to the server and fix it there.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:10:02 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:45:46 pm »
Excellent advice!

Removing the EAs - running noEa filename - fixed the problem. The file now appears in the WPS drives/folder on the server.

Thanks for the help.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:06:25 pm »
BTW Andreas,

Off topic but thanks for your work on NEPM. The package is excellent.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »
I've had that problem too, but it was a whole disk drive. And solved the problem by turning it off and on.
Saludos

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:31:41 pm »
Doug,

Was this a single filename? Or multiple ones?

The reason why I ask is that I occasionally see this with XWP 1.0.11, but I am literally missing the whole directory listing...in your case, given that EA was the culprit I will review the EAs of all files located in the "missing" directory, maybe that is actually what causes the symptom I am seeing?

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:03:07 am »
actually a couple of files in a directory