Author Topic: Installing Warp 4 on a Thinkpad 560 over network  (Read 15090 times)

NuggyBuggy

Installing Warp 4 on a Thinkpad 560 over network
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:17 pm »
I have a Thinkpad 560 from the 90s that I had in grad school and ran Warp 4 on.  I have the original CDs.  my computer only ever had the floppy drive, and a PCMCIA network card, no USB.  I do not have a PCMCIA CD drive, but I Am positive that i installed it many times over a network, maybe over NFS ?

I recall that i had to edit the boot disk somehow, possibly by dropping a driver onto the disk.  but, i cant seem to find anything on installing over the network.

Can anybody point me to a resource here ? My OS/2 chops are long gone and so is my long term recall.

Thanks!!

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Installing Warp 4 on a Thinkpad 560 over network
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:03:40 am »
Hi t Mark

I've never attempted this myself but have seen a webpage about it here http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/reminst.html

Regards

Pete

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:20:14 am »
thank you Pete.  Parts of the linked-to page sound familiar, but other parts aren't ringing bells.  looks like I'll have to get another installation running first.  Hopefully I can do that using the CDs, a modern Windows OS and a USB floppy.

Thank you !

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:26:41 am »
looks like I'll have to get another installation running first.  Hopefully I can do that using the CDs, a modern Windows OS and a USB floppy.

At least it's not as challenging as a 560Z. If using your memory's network install is not a goal on its own, then using nothing but floppies, including but not limited to floppies to install a Y2K-proof FixPak (ftp://service.software.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes), may be more efficient than finding out how a less boring  network install used to work.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:29:42 am by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:42:20 pm »

At least it's not as challenging as a 560Z. If using your memory's network install is not a goal on its own, then using nothing but floppies, including but not limited to floppies to install a Y2K-proof FixPak (ftp://service.software.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes), may be more efficient than finding out how a less boring  network install used to work.
That's true... but finding 3.5" floppies is a challenge around here. I've thrown out the ones I had,   Stores no lnger sell them and evn our IT department has only two they could spare me !

Is there a link to where i could download the stack of floppies, or can they can be created from the CDs?

Thanks!

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 03:47:42 pm »
If push comes to shove and you have another computer that has a floppy drive it is possible to install Warp 4 with 2 floppies but it is a bit of a fiddle.

I assume you have access to a windows computer that has a CD and a floppy drive.  I say windows because Daniel F. Valot has a windows version of his EMT4PM Tools (floppy disk to/from image writer) so you can write the floppies from the images in 'DISKIMGS\OS2\35' on the CD.  All you then have to do is keep up with the floppy production.

I know this will work because I had to do it for one of our clients when one of their tool controllers HD died (fortunately the main board had provision to run a floppy drive) but it is a PITA to do. 

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »
If you create a bootable CD, with the contents of the floppies (preferably updated), you can boot that. When it goes to a command line, remove the CD, and put the install CD into the drive. Go to the CD, and start the install program (don't remember what it is called, but it is pretty obvious). With a little imagination, you can make a bootable CD that also has the install stuff on it. I did that many years ago, using the bootAble method to make the bootable CD, and simply added the contents of the install (or DVD if you like). https://hrbaan.home.xs4all.nl/bootAble/

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:14:58 pm »
The problem is Doug that t Mark is trying to install on a computer with only a floppy drive for input and no USB ports - not an easy thing to do.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 12:30:24 am »
The problem is Doug that t Mark is trying to install on a computer with only a floppy drive for input and no USB ports - not an easy thing to do.

Hmmm. Guess I didn't go back far enough in this thread.   :(

Actually installing from floppies is pretty easy, if you have a floppy drive (but it is very slow). Just create ALL of the diskettes from a CD (should be possible on an older windows machine, but one, or more, of them are in XDF format so you may need an XDF driver). There are some batch files, on the CD, that will build the diskettes (of course, you also need good diskettes). Look in MAKEDSKS.BAT (or .CMD) in the root of the CD.

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 02:16:56 am »

Actually installing from floppies is pretty easy, if you have a floppy drive (but it is very slow). Just create ALL of the diskettes from a CD (should be possible on an older windows machine, but one, or more, of them are in XDF format so you may need an XDF driver). There are some batch files, on the CD, that will build the diskettes (of course, you also need good diskettes). Look in MAKEDSKS.BAT (or .CMD) in the root of the CD.
Actually, the length of the install is not as big a problem for me as actually finding 3.5" disks !!

@Doug Bissett: You mention I need an "older windows machine"... how old do I need that machine to be ? Will the BAT file run from a Windows 7 Command Prompt ?

The other thing I'm toying with: I have one of those USB3->2.5" IDE adapters. I'm thinking I could attach the laptop drive to a modern computer, running VMware/VirtualBox, and boot the Warp installer into a VM that could then install to the 2.5" drive.... Anyone thing that would work ?

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 03:28:02 am »

So, I downloaded the CD ZIP file from from https://archive.org/details/IBMOS2Warp4Collection, trying to bypass pulling out my installation CDs.

However, I couldn't mount the ISO corresponding to the actual CD, under OS X.  Should that ISO be mountable or is it something weird about OS X ?

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 04:27:24 am »
Well, I can answer one of my questions.  It looks like the utilities in the DISKIMGS folder on the CD will NOT run under Windows 7.

Grr.

However, the ISO itself mounts fine under Windows 7, so my prior inability to mount seems to be an OS X thing.  This gets complicated... I'll have to look for a bootable floppy for a version of DOS that can work with the executables on the Warp CD.  Then I guess I will find out whether my USB floppy is bootable from my Windows laptop.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:58 am »
Actually, the length of the install is not as big a problem for me as actually finding 3.5" disks !!

I haven't seen any for sale, for many years. One thing that might work, is to create the disks one at a time, use it, then create the next one, and use it. It would seem like "forever", but it should work. You may even get lucky, and not need all of them.

@Doug Bissett: You mention I need an "older windows machine"... how old do I need that machine to be ? Will the BAT file run from a Windows 7 Command Prompt ?

I suspect that it needs to be a DOS based version. In fact, you may need an IBM DOS, and not a MS DOS, to get the XDF driver.

However, I couldn't mount the ISO corresponding to the actual CD, under OS X.  Should that ISO be mountable or is it something weird about OS X ?

It is more likely that the ISO is bad, but it may be okay if it mounts in win 7. It may be some stupid permissions thing in OS X.

This gets complicated...

That is exactly why it isn't done. I did, at one time (25 years ago), try to set up an install over a LAN. I seem to recall getting it to work, but it never did work well. With modern networking, you haven't got a chance. You would need to have OS/2 installed, or some other antique network support, at the other end of the wire, to make it work. Even trying to make the diskettes will probably prove futile, because finding a good diskette is difficult, today. It would probably be easier to find a CD drive for the machine, but most of them would probably be broken, if you do find some.

One thought, is to install OS/2 in  a virtual machine (VirtualBox works well under win 7, and probably with OS X too), then set up the network link for the laptop in that. You should be able to attach the floppy, and CD, images to the virtual machine, and install OS/2 that way. Whether you can convince the network to play nice, to connect the laptop, is a question that I cannot answer. In fact, it might be a better idea to use VirtualBox to run OS/2, rather than than trying to get an old laptop, with no CD drive, to work.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:34 am »
Regarding the problem of making the floppies from the images on a windows machine.  There is an answer to that - EMT4WIN.  Unfortunately it is a bit too large to attach here and Daniel no longer has it on his site (moved on to win 8 and 10 but the OS/2 programs are still there).

Anyone wanting a copy send an e-mail to ivanjt at free dot fr and I will send it to you.

NuggyBuggy

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 03:06:34 am »
This gets complicated...

That is exactly why it isn't done. I did, at one time (25 years ago), try to set up an install over a LAN. I seem to recall getting it to work, but it never did work well. With modern networking, you haven't got a chance. You would need to have OS/2 installed, or some other antique network support, at the other end of the wire, to make it work. Even trying to make the diskettes will probably prove futile, because finding a good diskette is difficult, today. It would probably be easier to find a CD drive for the machine, but most of them would probably be broken, if you do find some.

One thought, is to install OS/2 in  a virtual machine (VirtualBox works well under win 7, and probably with OS X too), then set up the network link for the laptop in that. You should be able to attach the floppy, and CD, images to the virtual machine, and install OS/2 that way. Whether you can convince the network to play nice, to connect the laptop, is a question that I cannot answer. In fact, it might be a better idea to use VirtualBox to run OS/2, rather than than trying to get an old laptop, with no CD drive, to work.
When I did it in the old days (how exactly, I can't remember) I don't think it was too hard.  I don't remember what was on the other side of the wire - I thought it was an NFS server , but it seems it was probably another OS/2 installation - but I recall it was fairly straightforward.  The only rub I remember is that I had an IBM PCMCIA LAN card and I think I needed to copy drivers to one of the install floppies. 

I am indeed looking at installing OS/2 as a VirtualBox guest and think that's my likeliest route to getting the LAN install working.  I *think* it should work with a crossover cable to my NIC card.  The rub is finding the driver, getting floppies that I can use, and then seeing whether the OS/2 guest will be able to write to a USB floppy drive mounted by the host. 

A few years ago my wife convinced me to toss hundreds of them out, as well as some vintage PCs that would have served this purpose well.  Also threw out some laptops with floppy drives. I will never let her forget that !!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:09:32 am by t Mark »