Author Topic: Someone has seen this before os2.ini  (Read 16337 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Someone has seen this before os2.ini
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:08:25 am »
Every approximately 2 minutes shows me the message of the photo.
The c: drive with the system is a 30gb partition with the system occupying only 1gb approximately.But if I open drives it shows me zero free space.

The system is an updated ecs22b2
The hard drive is a ssd thosiva.

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Someone has seen this before os2.ini
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:21:23 am »
Yes. But only when the drive where the ini files want to be written is full or absent. I never use a 30GB boot partition but 1GB only and usually do not have such problems. Except some program wants to fill up all space on the boot drive (which does not occur when it is correctly set up).

If you have zero free space the message is perfectly understandable. Find out what fills up your boot drive. Maybe \temp or FF \cache or download folder or... There are dirsize utilities as well as FileCommanders which shows you the occupied size of dirs.

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:51:43 am »
Are the full disk size and the free disk size, as reported by manually executing "CHKDSK", roughly the expected sizes?

If not, then what are the partition (order & sizes)? There may be an exceeded limit.

Same experience here as Andi: disk (almost) full.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:59:02 pm »
Another question.  When did you last clean up the ini files?  I have seen this when the ini files get too large because of 'junk' getting left in them.

I also agree with AndrĂ© and Andi.  Who in their right mind uses that size boot partition for OS/2?  It is the boot partition not the dump space for things like HOME and PROGRAMS.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:34 pm »
I have not explained well, the error is in the hard disk space that the system thinks it has free.
The sistem show 0kb free aprox. 30.600.000kbtotal

The new laser comander1.07.04 show:
Total size allocated 29.944M (error)
But if I sum all the folders with lcm 755.700kb (ok)

After I made a backup, format, and restore:
The sistem show 29.909.140kb free, 30.683.344kb total (ok)
The lcm show total size allocated 764.336k (ok)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »
Since no one has used a boot volume that size (although I use 20 GB a lot), maybe it's too big. Try reducing free space a little bit. It would be interesting to know if there is some limit.

This really ought to work, because OS/2 was actually supported in the days of 64 GB max partition size.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:10 pm »
Could it be you do not look at your hidden files? Or the files in \DELDIR? I doubt LarsenCommander sum up all files with 700MB when actually 30GB are used. HIDDEN and SYSTEM files are usually not see by dir or FileCommanders when not set up to do so.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 06:32:30 pm »
Andi - I completely discard them as hidden or other files. Because what I did was move the hplip folder to free up space, and that the ini error, was saved correctly. Then I did the backup, and restore.

Neil - What you propose I do not think that alone is the problem. Among other things because I have another computer with two bootable partitions of 30gb without that problem.

On the pc with problems, I leave it on day and night on, for backups. And this affects the Samba client, forcing me to restart it every day. Also the memory does not recognize it correctly, with 4gb, and the virtualaddress in 3072mb, shows me approx. 3500mb. Or a combination of several things.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »
To get a reasonably good idea of partition used and free size use FREEPM from Daniel F. Valot.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 09:13:09 am »
After leaving tonight on, making the copies, I find this:
Drive c: jfs boot partition in SSD
Yesterday - Lcm total size allocated 755.700kb (ok)
Today lcm - total size allocated 1.691M
The sistem show 28940692kb free, 30.683.344kb total
I lost this night 936.000kb

What does the computer do at night?
It only runs a few cmd s that call rar32 to make the copies to Nas units or to different units in the network.Running automatically with schedule

At this rate of almost 1gb per day, I have for 28 days before having to restore.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:49:22 am »
Have a look at the log files you may need to clean them out.  This is especially necessary if you are using samba and/or rsync to copy to your nas and you have full logging on.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:05:39 pm »
That's Ivan, they're the samba logs. I have modified the samba configuration, so that it does not generate such huge files.
Thank you

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 04:28:17 pm »
Ivan!

...Who in their right mind uses that size boot partition for OS/2?  It is the boot partition not the dump space for things like HOME and PROGRAMS.

Well, back in the day, one could easily do this...so my OS/2 box, with an original install dating back to (I kid you not) around 1993-4 has been upgraded many many times, moved to at least 3 different hardware platforms and subsequently, as HD space become cheap and plenty, it made little sense to re-do the install to separate out the OS from the APPS.

So yeah, big 64Gig HPFS386 partition here, this the main OS and APPS partition...with bulk of DATA stored in other partitions. I live with sins of the past, today, absolutely agree, I would never merge the two...

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 10:24:42 pm »
I just saw this problem on another pc.

The size that the system says it has, does not match the size of the backups.
The logical thing if the disk is full is to remove files to make space.
But the question is what happens if I add more files, since the space in use DRECREASE.

Saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:25 pm »
Since no one has used a boot volume that size (although I use 20 GB a lot), maybe it's too big. Try reducing free space a little bit. It would be interesting to know if there is some limit.

This really ought to work, because OS/2 was actually supported in the days of 64 GB max partition size.

I have an experimental boot partition that is 100 GBs (actually 99.996MBs), seems to work fine the few times I use it. It has my Mozilla build environment on it and currently has 18GBs free.
Lately I've been using 2-4GBs for boot partitions. I find things are much better with JFS if there is lots of free space. 4GBs is good for testing ArcaOS, installing everything on one partition takes up about 2.5 GBs. Later I'll use my regular program/build/data partitions.
I just expanded my mozprofiles partition from 4GBs to 64GBs and especially Thunderbird is much faster. The idea is to keep fragmentation to a minimal, important with large files such as mboxes that incrementally grow.