Author Topic: Blue Lion Beta testing...  (Read 28461 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Blue Lion Beta testing...
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:11:00 am »
While I am happy about Blue Lion reaching beta stage a bit more Information about the product would be highly appreciated.

The questions I have are really easy to answer:

- is UNIAUD updated - and if - what additional Hardware is supported ?
- is an updated SNAP included - and if - what additional Hardware is supported ?
- is the INTEL WLAN Mulitmac included - and if - what additional Hardware is supported?

It would be really nice to have some more Facts, thank you very much in advance!

I repeat my offer to test it on a (more or less) recent Laptop - Lenovo T450s (running my updated WSeB so far) if it is usefull to Arca Noae.

Sigurd

Michaelhz

Re: Blue Lion Beta testing...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 03:54:23 pm »
I'd like to add:

- what about > 2TB capability?

BR
Michael

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 05:02:46 pm »
How about the memory problems. Does the new kernel flame out when the high memory runs out?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:58:30 pm »
I can't answer your specific questions, but I will point out that the first attempt will probably not include very many major changes. Doing that would cause a nightmare for support, because they would have a lot more trouble trying to determine if it was something new that was causing a problem, or if the new install procedure caused the problem.  From what I have seen, so far, some bugs have been squashed, what has been updated already will be included, and a few new tools have been created. Nothing major (except a new installer, which is not, yet, complete), but there are a few weeks left, and I hear that some new stuff is still to be added to the beta.

Don't expect miracles, this is a first step, after all. The miracles come later.

How about the memory problems. Does the new kernel flame out when the high memory runs out?

I will point out that the current high memory problems are not caused by "running out". It has something to do with unloading whatever needs to be unloaded. ECS 2.2b2 contains a partial fix for the problem. Low shared memory runs out, and programs (usually Firefox, in my case) seem to assume that that will never happen, so they just crash when it happens.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »
Before Lewis answers, another guess from me:

o  Uniaud: not ready.

o  SNAP: probably not ready.
    Updated SNAP accelerated video driver (see: Current release timetable ...)

o  WLAN: not ready.

o  Above 2 TB: I don't know.

o  Kernel: improvements, esp. for shared memory above 512 MB.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:09:26 am by Andreas Schnellbacher »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:59:48 pm »
Are they going to test it AMD processor servers?  I do hope that AMD multi core processors get as much beta testing as Intel ones.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:03:46 pm »
Are they going to test it AMD processor servers?  I do hope that AMD multi core processors get as much beta testing as Intel ones.

What is wrong with AMD processors?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:32:16 pm »
Miracles do happen. OS/2 is still here.
I will buy ArcaOS5 on day one.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 10:53:14 pm »
Nothing as far as I know Neil.  We use them exclusively and recommend them to our clients.

My question was based on the problems a few people have mentioned here about eCS and 6 core AMD processors and the fact that most off the shelf machines come with Intel processors.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:27 am »

I don't have an AMD server, but I am testing what is available on a triple core AMD, and later, I will test on a quad core AMD, and a much more recent AMD A6 with UEFI.

Since the base OS has not really changed, I doubt if any big surprises await, good, or bad. If it works today, it will probably work with ArcaOS. If not, you will probably still have the same problems. I haven't seen any surprises, yet. It hasn't been perfect, but that is what beta testing is for.

As I posted earlier, the main objective now, is to get this thing off the ground with as few surprises as possible. Then, they will start to work on the new stuff.

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 12:53:20 pm »
It is good to hear that you are beta testing on AMD CPUs.   In my experience UEFI is the biggest roadblock when installing eCS 2.2b2 on modern hardware.   eCS 2.2b2 runs OK on my 8 core AMD FX CPU and on my TP EDGE E555  with an AMD A10.  Installing eCS 2.2b2 directly on the TP E555 was impossible though.  My workaround was to do the install on a SSD in a Thinkpad EDGE E525 and then to remove the SSD and reinstall the SSD in my TP E555.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 07:55:09 pm »
It is good to hear that you are beta testing on AMD CPUs.   In my experience UEFI is the biggest roadblock when installing eCS 2.2b2 on modern hardware.

Can you describe the problems, so I can test for them?

I didn't have any trouble installing eCS 2.2b2 to my A6 with UEFI. The only problem that I had installing to my Lenovo ThinkPad L530 (Intel) with UEFI, is that I need the QSINIT loader to have access to more than 512 meg of memory. Sound doesn't work properly in either one, but that is UniAud, not eCS 2.2b2 itself. ArcaOS beta is still waiting for a new UniAud (don't know what will be in the GA).

Installing eCS 2.2b2 directly on the TP E555 was impossible though.  My workaround was to do the install on a SSD in a Thinkpad EDGE E525 and then to remove the SSD and reinstall the SSD in my TP E555.

I suspect that may have something to do with the SSD. I don't have one of them, but I do know that boot timing, on faster systems, can cause problems. SSD speeds it up even more, so it is entirely possible that something messes up during boot. So far, I haven't seen any hint of boot timing problems, with ArcaOS, but that depends on the hardware, and I haven't tested with all of my systems, yet.

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 09:12:45 pm »
Hi
I have tested so far BL beta with a AMD FX-8320E  8core  and a Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 hard disk, and MB is a M5A78L/USB3 and 4GB mem
Install runs ok , so far only some small known glitches.
It's looking promising so far :)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 09:33:04 pm »
Hi
I have tested so far BL beta with a AMD FX-8320E  8core  and a Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 hard disk, and MB is a M5A78L/USB3 and 4GB mem
Install runs ok , so far only some small known glitches.
It's looking promising so far :)

Fortunately - So you might be able to answer my three simple questions?
Thank you very much in Advance!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:35:00 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:19 am »
Maybe someone will answer your questions. I signed an agreement with Arca Noae that says I won't disclose the details of what I'm testing.

Since you already know everyone who is working on the project, and what they are doing, I think you can pretty much guess what will be in the 5.0 release.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com