Author Topic: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions - follow up  (Read 9724 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions - follow up
« on: May 25, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »
I've now running VBox 5.0.6_OSE r143 since a few months and it works quite well. I use it mainly with my banking software which is running in the WinXP guest. Compared to the old VBox it works much better. The shared folders do not have the problem with missing files/dirs anymore which was very annoying with the old VBox. Timing seems to be much better too. My banking software uses flicker images (?) to optically transfer data to an external small device which decodes the flickering. This works way more reliable than with older VBox version. But could be a side effect of the more powerful system I use too. That cursor bitmaps does now change as they should f.i. when hovering over a window border is another major improvement.

What does not work and features I miss are -
1) clipboard sharing between host and guest
2) Another problem I have is with the software which connects to my photovoltaic inverter. This software seems to use some IP-multicast packets to find the inverter but can't from within the guest. This is one of the rare things the old VirtualPC can do better. So better network support would be cool.

Anyone knows if someone is working on this? And what are your experiences?

RickCHodgin

Re: VirtualBox 5.0.6 First Impressions - follow up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:04:05 pm »
Is this a version of VirtualBox running inside OS/2?  Or a version of VirtualBox running on another host OS that's running an OS/2 VM as a guest?

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:04:23 pm »
Yes. Host is OS/2.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:42 pm »
Yes. Host is OS/2.

Is it working well enough to install Windows XP?  If so, then I can use VirtualBox for a true Windows environment rather than working on getting win32s up to snuff / modifying ODIN.

I had actually considered porting VirtualBox to OS/2, but I figured it was a bigger job.  But if it's already working... :-)

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00:06 pm »
I think the same as Andi B, with win xp is better than xp
All the applications I use work perfectly, using OS / 2 as host and xp as a guest.
saludos

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:09:40 pm »
I had actually considered porting VirtualBox to OS/2
You seemed to miss that other people did that well before. Or would you like to reinvent the wheel again? You know http://trac.netlabs.org/vbox ?

RickCHodgin

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:36:19 pm »
I had actually considered porting VirtualBox to OS/2
You seemed to miss that other people did that well before. Or would you like to reinvent the wheel again? You know http://trac.netlabs.org/vbox ?

Yes.  My ignorance attacked me with a stick.  I didn't know it was already done.  :-)

Thank you,
Rick C Hodgin

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22:30 pm »
Does Win 7 work inside vbox with os/2 host?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 01:22:59 am »
Hi Neil

Yes - installs and runs, no sound or network capability though.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 01:56:01 am »
Hi Pete,

I agree with no sound but I do have the network up.

The big problem that I see is the instability of the mouse pointer - it has a tenancy to jump to the top of the screen at odd intervals.  Response times are rather slow as well.

ak120

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 01:04:59 am »
I have Windows Server 2008 running with the older VirtualBox 1.6 release. The Windows 7 32-bit edition should behave the same way but requires a larger footprint.

Herwig Bauernfeind

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 12:47:12 pm »

1. Win 7 works in VBox 5.0.6 for OS/2 and can be installed within a VM of VBox 5.0.6 for OS/2.
Shared sound does not work, shared clipboard does not work.

Networking DOES work for Win 7 guests. Make sure you choose the "Intel NIC for servers" as the network adapter reflected into the VM. It is a known issue that not all other NICs work.

2.) Win 7 can be made to work inside VBox 1.6 for OS/2. You have to create an appropriate .vdi image on VBox for Win and use that in Vbox 1.6 for OS/2. You have to use older guest additions (those for Vbox 2.1.2), not the latest ones. Shared sound does not work, shared clipboard does not work.

Networking works for Win 7 guests using the AMD C579 NIC and driver (not included in Win 7!). The Intel NICs do not work.

In general stability of the whole machine is better with 5.0.6 and the guest runs a lot faster in 5.0.6.