Author Topic: Are you getting ready for ArcaOS?  (Read 112154 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Are you getting ready for ArcaOS?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2017, 03:18:59 pm »
Hi All

Maybe the ArcaOS beta testers can answer this: Is it possible to deselect ANPM/yum/rpm and all associated packages during installation?

Reason: Having established that the rpm release of cups is a non-working release I will need to install cups from zip/wpi and do not want to encounter any problems caused by yum/rpm installed software.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2017, 08:28:23 pm »
Maybe the ArcaOS beta testers can answer this: Is it possible to deselect ANPM/yum/rpm and all associated packages during installation?

Not easily. You can install without CUPS, and the older CUPS should work as it always did. However, I suggest at least trying CUPS with ArcaOS, because it does work well, for me (although I don't know what you can do about BJNP).

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02:23 pm »
For me it seems as if the best way is to fix it if there are problems. Pete, you've made the entry in the bug tracker, which is essential.

I don't understand, why you make the other noise here. The only dependency that I see is that the next Arca OS will probably contain a version of CUPS that won't work with the subsystem for Canon printers. It's not an Arca OS bug and it's not an RPM bug. If your analysis will be proved as true (I think it will), then finding out where the bug lies is much more valuable as posting a general warning here, in this forum.

The amount of people, who test stuff before it gets released, is much, much too little. Therefore inputs like the current one from you are extremely important.

(This is my individual opinion.)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2017, 10:33:34 pm »
Hi

@Doug
Hmmm....
The problem is that ANPM/yum/rpm installs some files as standard which may cause problems with the non-rpm cups.
It is totally pointless trying cups included with ArcaOS as there is no means of connecting to the printer - no bjnp for wireless connectivity and usb does not work for "wired" connectivity.

@Andreas
The reason for "the other noise here" is that other users can point out my mistakes and help get software/hardware working - sometimes using a "work around" rather than a fix. Without the help of people in another discussion - see http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1341.0.html - I would probably have given up on trying the rpm cups when cupsd simply would not start.

Regards

Pete

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2017, 11:00:44 pm »
I sure hope Acranoae is not going the way of Microsoft which would release "vapor" ware and would never come anywhere close to deadlines when they did release.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2017, 11:08:21 pm »
Microsoft releases are pretty much on time these days.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2017, 12:17:39 am »
Hi

I don't think that ArcaOS is vaporware, I haven't seen the signs of it. One of the signs of vaporware is announcing unrealistic things and for the moment Arca Noae has offered very "down to earth" features for ArcaOS, and of course, we have the evidence that some people in the community (closer to Arca) are playing with the Beta versions. So it is not VaporWare, I'm 97% sure that we are going to see ArcaOS released. (The rest 3% involves deaths, global destruction, nuclear wars, etc)

Maybe (I'm being sassy here) there are some kind of Rock Stars problems. We can see on Arca Noae's team that there are very...very...very OS/2 skilled people involved, so there may be too many opinions that want everything perfect... and perfect is the enemy of good. I'm being very sassy and speculative about this, so there is there is no need to reply, since my guessing may not be real.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:09:25 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2017, 04:13:06 am »
ArcaOS itself is basically done, it's just the installer, which is hard. People have different systems and people want to install in different ways and Arca Noae wants it working well.
The truth is that 5.0 is probably going to have some rough edges, mostly when it comes to install and reading the documentation is going to be important.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2017, 08:32:38 am »
Maybe (I'm being sassy here) there are some kind of Rock Stars problems. We can see on Arca Noae's team that there are very...very...very OS/2 skilled people involved, so there may be too many opinions that want everything perfect... and perfect is the enemy of good.

There are no "rock stars" involved, and you are correct that those who are doing the job are exceptional people. The main problem is that there are not enough of them, and every one of them is overloaded. Unfortunately, one section of the installer has proven to be somewhat dangerous, as it was implemented, and it is not easy to change it to make it more difficult for a user to hurt themselves.

The truth is that 5.0 is probably going to have some rough edges, mostly when it comes to install and reading the documentation is going to be important.

I will second that statement. The rough spot is in selecting what to install, and where, Be sure to READ the documentation, and be very careful to check that your selections are correct in the summary, before you continue. We, the testers, are not sure what they are doing to it, but it should be okay, if not elegant. This whole section will probably be changed for ArcaOS 5.1.

I will reiterate that users should have a GOOD backup of everything, and it would probably be a good idea to try the new installer on a test system, or in a virtual machine, to see what the new installer does, before you try it on a live system. The installer is similar to the eCS installer (after all, how many ways are there to install OS/2?), but there are some differences, and if the user isn't paying attention, they can get themselves into trouble.

Those who are planning to install to a machine that has a "factory" windows installed (especially if it has a recovery partition), will need to do some work to adjust the windows partitions to make room for ArcaOS, and to make the partitions fit the OS/2 way of doing partitions. Do NOT attempt to do that with any windows, or *nix, tools, or you will probably make things worse, unless you are very, very, lucky. There is a tool in ArcaOS to do it, and it works. The hard part is to shrink a recovery partition that extends past the last full cylinder on a disk. The tool does not have a good way to do the smallest required adjustment, so you need to move a large bar, by the smallest possible amount. Tricky, but possible, and you may lose a little more than what is necessary. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to matter (at least on my Lenovo ThinkPads T510, and L530). A working eCS installation should be simple, but there is no migration (which never worked anyway, even if it looked like it was okay), and there are a few differences in directory layouts, which may require a bit of adjustment, after install. I would suggest adjusting to the ArcaOS layout, when necessary.

At the moment, the installer should be workable, and the final result is actually pretty spectacular, if not perfect. I am pretty sure that there will be some problems that slip past the testers, but we tried.   :)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2017, 10:19:57 am »
DY> The truth is that 5.0 is probably going to have some rough edges, mostly when it comes to install and reading the documentation is going to be important.

Rough edges on an OS/2 operating system? Documentation needed? Sounds familiar and like back then with IBM. *hehe*
Joking aside, imo the ArcaNoae team is doing very well, also keeping in mind, that man power and ressources are limited (in comparisation to back then with IBM). Coming up with an amazing project like this and finishing works in such a short development time, I think, is truely great!
Good stuff will take it's time and we have waited for such a long time, I think we can also spend a couple of more weeks before "boxing day.." ; )

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2017, 02:04:28 am »
Well I have to say I am as anxious as anyone for Arca OS 5.0 to be released.  I do have to say I do think it is wise for Arca Noae to be sure it is working as right as possible. So I have a machine ready to put it on. so I eagerly await its arrival, but understand the reason for the delay.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2017, 01:56:24 pm »
There is a new post by Lewis Rosenthal on the Arca Noae website:

https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-5-0-licensing-fits-together-existing-subscriptions/

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:41 am »
I just saw the basic install screenshot of ArcaOS5 and noticed the multiple desktop manager. Will Object Desktop 2.0 still run on ArcaOS? I currently have it on my eCS 1.2MR install.

Anxiously waiting the release, even picked up another Thinkpad T43 to put it on. 

Thanks,

Kev

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2017, 04:16:53 am »
I just saw the basic install screenshot of ArcaOS5 and noticed the multiple desktop manager. Will Object Desktop 2.0 still run on ArcaOS? I currently have it on my eCS 1.2MR install.

I don't have a copy of Object Desktop to be able to test it but there is no reason I know of for it to not work.

Rich442

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2017, 10:14:44 pm »
Hi
Do you have any plan on where to try it out?
Regards

My problem with the new release is that I am still using Merlin and Warp Server for eBusiness on some of my production machines. I would like to listen and visit with others to hear any negative or positive reactions, whether ArcaOS can identify more than 4GB RAM on a 32-bit and if it will work on semi-new machines. Other than that, it would be nice to have some more diagnostic tools and easy access to server equipment (I mean currently supported servers like Dell PowerEdge or Lenovo ThinkServer. Otherwise, I am watching carefully. :)