Author Topic: Are you getting ready for ArcaOS?  (Read 112182 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Are you getting ready for ArcaOS?
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
As an Arca Noae reseller, I don't have more information than you about products and pricing.

But for video problems and ACPI problems, I will make this comment. It is very useful to developers if you go on to the Arca Noae website and make a good bug report. The bug reports you submit and follow up on make a kind of ToDo list for developers. There is no guaranty that the issue will be fixed, but it really helps your odds.

Also, if you have filled out a bug report, please post a link to it here.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2017, 04:57:43 pm »
Hi

I'm just exited for the milestone (ArcaOS release) to be complete this Saturday.

From that point I think it will be interesting to:

- Do testing and start submitting bugs of what it does not work as suppose to.
- Start discussing which is the priority of required missing drivers.
- and.. my favorite and the one that everyone fears,... discussing the future of the platform and the close source components that nobody has access to the source code.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2017, 05:04:33 am »
Hi Neil,

...But for video problems and ACPI problems, I will make this comment. It is very useful to developers if you go on to the Arca Noae website and make a good bug report...

Great point, in my case the issue with SNAP and my monitor occured well ahead of AN even being formed...so I would say it was that in-between/twilight-zone period where there was no place to go...LOL

But...you made me curious enough to go out there and search through the tickets, what I did find was actually a very recent https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=777 ticket which appears to show the very same symptoms I experienced.

Anyways, I updated the ticket with my info, hopefully David is interested enough in this to get to the bottom. As it happens I did offer to get involved in troubleshooting this and literally working on the drivers/utility programs themselves some time ago...we are going back to early 2016 actually. Discussed this with Lewis who concluded by saying he appreciated my offer and would contact me when the work started...well, at this point in time I have yet to hear back. Again, I am not privy to the details of AN's priorities, however as a paying customer who has shown his willingness to volunteer I do doubly stand by what I said: we all should be getting a little more clarity from our vendor of choice.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
@Dariousz - I don't think your observations with SNAP are related to the ticket which is for Panorama. But that's all to much OT for this thread anyway. If you think your problem is in SNAP then I guess it would be better to open a ticket for SNAP and explaining exactly which 2 bytes are corrupted (position). The difference which what you think is correct (Win reads it correctly?) and which you think is wrong (what SNAP reports). Anyway to much OT here....

In general the mantis bug tracker is the right place for SNAP tickets. There's even a SNAP project listed. Reading the various WSE presentations about good tickets (AFAIR David hold a presentation about at last WSE) is recommended too.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:48 pm »
I am waiting for the Japanese version, but I plan to buy an English version.
I want Japanese version. Want Japanese version. Jap...

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2017, 12:49:31 am »
Hi Andi,

@Dariousz - I don't think your observations with SNAP are related to the ticket which is for Panorama. But that's all to much OT for this thread anyway. If you think your problem is in SNAP then I guess it would be better to open a ticket for SNAP and explaining exactly which 2 bytes are corrupted (position)...

Great point, I went ahead and logged an official ticket for the SNAP issue I am experiencing. For those interested, in case you also run into this, please see https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=938.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2017, 11:22:19 pm »
Any news yet ?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2017, 11:49:51 pm »
Any news yet?

No info at all. Pennsylvania local time is almost 18:00 now. I'm curious.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2017, 12:18:10 am »
Why am I getting a deja vu feeling here?

Maybe next week or the week after, maybe.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2017, 12:27:28 am »
I have heard a rumour that they are really quite close to release. I'd expect it really really soon.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2017, 01:01:34 am »
Here April 15 is not over yet !!! :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2017, 02:25:22 am »
I expect an announcement shortly from Lewis if he hasn't dropped dead from overwork. It's hard to get an installer working right.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2017, 09:19:12 am »
I expect an announcement shortly from Lewis if he hasn't dropped dead from overwork. It's hard to get an installer working right.

There is an announcement from Lewis Rosenthal on the Arca Noae website, titled "ArcaOS 5.0 to launch this week" :

https://www.arcanoae.com/arcaos-5-0-launch-week/

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2017, 11:37:29 pm »
And now that the week has passed what do we tell those that were interested?

At the moment we don't even have any ides about the hardware it is supposed to run on.  Maybe some of the beta testers could enlighten us as to the hardware they used.

Will it run on AMD processors with integrated video like the 2650 AM1 APU or the latest AMD Ryzen 7?

Can it run the hard disks in AHCI mode or do they have to be set to IDE?

How well does it work with UEFI and what setting are important?

These are the type of concerns that both old and new users will have.  I know we do because we are looking to equip a client with mini-ITX AM1 based units as replacements for systems dating from 1988 (these mini_ITX units will fit in the existing cases and if we use the ASRock AM1H-ITX we don't have to worry about trying to fit the power supply because they use a standard 19v laptop supply which even powers the SATA hard disks).

Will we get answers or will there be a deathly silence aka eCS?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2017, 01:05:25 am »
Hi ivan

I am not a tester for Arca Noae but I think I can answer some of your questions.

UEFI: 1 setting is most important for OS/2 based systems - Legacy or Compatiblity Mode must be On. Other settings relate to the hardware in use eg whether to use SATA disks in (E)IDE or AHCI mode.

AHCI: As Arca Noae have released an AHCI driver, 1.32, in the past and David responded to a bug report with words to the effect of "Version 2 of the driver should resolve the issue in the near future" I would be very surprised if AHCI support was absent - it may even contain Version 2.

If you need to know whether this, hopefully soon, release will work on specific hardware that no-one else has tested or used you will probably have to do the research yourself - half the fun of OS/2 based systems  :-)

Regards

Pete