Author Topic: PCL6 Printer driver  (Read 8142 times)

ivan

• View Profile
PCL6 Printer driver
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:25 pm »
I am wondering if anyone has a better memory than I.

Do we have a PCL6 printer driver in OS/2?  I have vague memories from way back in the days of Passport Advantage that there was such an item and my notes from that time are long gone.

If we do I will have saved a local charity some money and they will have a couple of reasonable laser printers for nothing. 

Pete

• View Profile
Re: PCL6 Printer driver
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:16 pm »
Hi ivan

I'm not that familiar with PCL but seem to recall that newer versions of PCL accept older PCL3 commands. That seems to be supported by this page http://www.geocities.ws/os2_shutterbug/os2-printers.html

You may also want to check if the printer is supported by cups plus any required "addons" eg foomatic.

Regards

Pete

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »
In my OS/2 travels I found information that IBM does not have source code for the PCL driver.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ak120

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:59 pm »
I am wondering if anyone has a better memory than I.

Do we have a PCL6 printer driver in OS/2?  I have vague memories from way back in the days of Passport Advantage that there was such an item and my notes from that time are long gone.

Everything is in the LASERJET.DRV by choosing the right model - at least HP LaserJet 4100 imo.

Later versions were only available via PPA. But were also provided by some manufacturers support websites (e.g. Kyocera).

For Win-OS/2 additionally ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/winpclen.exe may be required.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:53:44 pm »
I have IMBPCL5.EXE here...what are you looking for?

ak120

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 02:12:34 pm »
It's quite easy to download recent OS/2 printer drivers (hobbes etc.). Even version 30.800 has PCL6 support.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:26:06 pm »
Thanks everyone.  One of my people found our CD cache of PA files and has been testing the drivers in her spare time. 

Although non of the IBM drivers specifically mention PCL6 it does seem to fall back to PCL5 without too many problems.  A few more tests, mainly involving this printer working over the network, and we may have a goer.

ak120

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 11:25:56 am »
Although non of the IBM drivers specifically mention PCL6 it does seem to fall back to PCL5 without too many problems.  A few more tests, mainly involving this printer working over the network, and we may have a goer.
LASERJET.DRV definitely supports PCL6 Enhanced (and also ColorSmart and ColorSmart II). Of course it's possible  to use PCL 3 drivers (HP LaserJet). So almost any old DOS application can play.