Author Topic: Migrating from native Ghostscript to RPM packaged one...  (Read 15747 times)

ak120

Re: Migrating from native Ghostscript to RPM packaged one...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »
I don't know why so many complicated hacks and workarounds came up here, which simply will not solve the original problem. To keep it simple:
1. Better use the official GSview 4.9, which is not broken
2. Go the "Easy" route that I outlined earlier, to get an updated printer.ini/gvpm.ini
3. After all you can do the fine-tuning of the paths
For what reason step 3 should be done first?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:01:10 pm by Andreas Kohl »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 01:59:29 am »
Hi Andreas,

I don't know why so many complicated hacks and workarounds came up here, which simply will not solve the original problem...

In the screenshot you included it looks like you do not use a Postscript printer...my issue is specific to such a printer...therefore, happy to try GSView 4.9 (no harm in going there), but having tried this with 5.0 precisely how you spelled it out the results were not good, ie no working Postscript solution.

Help me/us out though...why do you belive GSView 5.0 is "broken" anyways?

Is it because you have tried these exact steps with 5.0 and could only get them working with 4.9?

ak120

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 02:32:32 pm »
It's quite useless to reply to those false claims. Before posting here I checked everything twice also with the broken GSview 5.0 and as everybody can see from the image also with PostScript printers. Of course only with printers that support Level 2 or 3 of the PostScript language. If you still want to print with GSview to an older PostScript printer you should use the latest GS version which supports the pswrite device.

GSView 5.0 doesn't support OS/2 as everybody can read. Neither the gs 9.18 hack nor the gsview 5.0 hack are supported. The best advise I can give is to never follow any instruction from the half-RPM almost non-existing docs.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 02:39:13 am »
I am using Paul's GS 9.15 and gsview 5.0 and am able to print to both PScript and PCL printers using os2prn rather than pswrite or ps2write.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 05:11:36 am »
Hi Andy,

I am using Paul's GS 9.15 and gsview 5.0 and am able to print to both PScript and PCL printers using os2prn rather than pswrite or ps2write.

Would you mind posting your INI files? I have not gone back to attempt to compile the modified version of GSView...my development environment is primarily VAC, so I have to do an EMX setup first. I did also receive a response from Russell Lang who stated:

"...Note that pswrite is not hard coded into GSview.  It's just one of the devices for which that GSview pre-populates some configuration option.  You can add ps2write without recompiling GSview.  Just add it from the GUI, or edit the gvpm.ini file to add it (probably quicker)..."

I am hoping to continue that conversation with him. While the responses in this thread are very welcome, most of them have been a YEY/NAY type of a thing, no one has actually spelled out what specifically needs to be changed and where, meaning, the exact details of let's say gvpm.ini file, so far that means I am nowhere further to working through this.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 12:42:03 pm »
Hi Dariusz

Please find attached gvpm.ini for using gsview 5.0 with ghostscript 9.15; ps2write lines added.

Yes, gsview 5.0 prints fine using (non-rpm) cups.

Hope that is of help.

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:53:26 pm by Pete »

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 05:54:16 am »
Hi Andy,

Would you mind posting your INI files? I have not gone back to attempt to compile the modified version of GSView...my development environment is primarily VAC, so I have to do an EMX setup first. I did also receive a response from Russell Lang who stated:

"...Note that pswrite is not hard coded into GSview.  It's just one of the devices for which that GSview pre-populates some configuration option.  You can add ps2write without recompiling GSview.  Just add it from the GUI, or edit the gvpm.ini file to add it (probably quicker)..."

I am hoping to continue that conversation with him. While the responses in this thread are very welcome, most of them have been a YEY/NAY type of a thing, no one has actually spelled out what specifically needs to be changed and where, meaning, the exact details of let's say gvpm.ini file, so far that means I am nowhere further to working through this.
I built gsview 5 with the klibc gcc, not emx... not sure what is needed to build it with emx.
I did edit the ini files in an attempt to see if I could use ps2write as a result of this thread but the os2prn is stock.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 07:05:24 am »
I built gsview with EMX a long time back, the only problem I had back then was finding the zip.dll (or was that unzip.dll) requirement. Of course that was before the stdint types were common and gsview probably had EMX fixes in its tree.
In the case of Dariusz, he's probably using EMX as a synonym for GCC.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 08:58:13 pm »
Hi Pete,

...Please find attached gvpm.ini for using gsview 5.0 with ghostscript 9.15; ps2write lines added.

Yes, gsview 5.0 prints fine using (non-rpm) cups...

Well, the only difference in mine and your gvpm.ini was the actual directory location where gvpm is installed. I updated accordingly (your file), tried it, nope, same result. So I suspect there is some other issue here that I have not discovered yet.

I have not had the time to sit-down and attempt the emx build...I was actually thinking this was different from a gcc build, only since the emx runtime seems to be required. Since then I reviewed the Developer guide and I think I understand this a bit better.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 06:15:55 am »
Hi Dariusz

Are you using cups as the printer driver?

Just asking as I have run into a bit of a printing problem with cups which seems to centre around gstoraster and involves gs 9.18-5 so I'm wondering if the problems are related.

Regards

Pete

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 03:03:40 pm »
Hi Pete,

...Are you using cups as the printer driver?...

Not at all...good ol' fashioned PS Printer, Brother HL5470dw using native PSCRIPT as well as the updated PSPRINT drivers...