Author Topic: configuring the rpm release of cups  (Read 31619 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: configuring the rpm release of cups
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 01:35:05 am »
Hi All

As a result of reporting the cups-files.conf problem we now have the answer as to why cupsd -t reports ""/@unixroot/etc/cups/cups-files.conf" contains errors.".

It seems that something called klusmgr (KLIBC User management) *must* be installed and run to setup users/groups.

I am informed that ArcaOS handles this as does the latest version of klibc - probably why Doug was not having this problem.

The gstoraster problem has also been reported so will post update when/if resolved.

Regards

Pete

ak120

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 12:49:29 pm »
Hi All

As a result of reporting the cups-files.conf problem we now have the answer as to why cupsd -t reports ""/@unixroot/etc/cups/cups-files.conf" contains errors.".

It seems that something called klusmgr (KLIBC User management) *must* be installed and run to setup users/groups.
RPM should do it automatically. But almost every RPM package is broken in several ways or is missing the correct dependencies. And as with most pre-alpha software there's no documentation.

How well this KLIBC user management integrates with UPM?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »
Hi Andreas,

Can you prove your claim that almost rpm package is broken? Everything I have installed here (>100) seems to work fine.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 07:11:36 pm »

Apparently, that isn't true. The Samba server Users and Groups thing will do the job.

I am informed that ArcaOS handles this as does the latest version of klibc - probably why Doug was not having this problem.

No, that has nothing to do with ArcaOS, although it will appear when you do the ANPM (RPM/YUM) update that includes it. I never saw it, before a few days ago, and it was not part of ArcaOS, until it got installed by ANPM. Certainly not required for the CUPS that ArcaOS installs.

So far, there are no real docs for it, so I really don't know what it is all about. Ask Bitwiseworks, it is something that they did.

The gstoraster problem has also been reported so will post update when/if resolved.

Somehow, this would seem to be that you need the "which" package installed (mentioned earlier, I think). Without it, CUPS cannot find the programs that are needed. However, that won't stop CUPSD.EXE from running, unless there is something different in what ArcaOS did.

Can you prove your claim that almost rpm package is broken? Everything I have installed here (>100) seems to work fine.

I will agree with that statement, up to a point. There are a few packages that do have problems. I have never tried to figure out which ones, and they usually get fixed shortly after the problems get reported. I suspect that most problems are harmless. I will also state that RPM/YUM was a bad choice to manage these things, but that is what it is. If you don't like it, either do something about it, or, stop using it.

Let us know, when you figure it out. It doesn't mention UPM (whatever that is), so it probably doesn't have anything to do with it. From what I see, it is basically the same program that handles the Samba server Users and Groups stuff.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
There are enough RPM packages that seem to be missing a dependency that it can be a hassle. Perhaps I see more due to installing developer stuff. Things like having to guess which of the 50 perl packages is needed by autoconf, now git wants to be updated but one of those 50 odd perl packages won't allow it. Need to file some bugs I guess. It's easy to forget what I did.
klusmgr just sets up the users and groups stuff in @UNIXROOT/etc, which is needed for some ports, sometimes it seems randomly. I had one git repository where git wanted a user and I ended up installing the samba server to make it happy as the samba stuff also set up the user and group stuff.
Don't seem to have it installed in ArcaOS but I haven't done anything with cups, no printer here.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 08:20:29 pm »
I will also state that RPM/YUM was a bad choice to manage these things

I learned to not mix up the requirements of all ported POSIX apps and components with the requirements of a POSIX installer. We have that unpopular @UNIXROOT tree on our disk, but as you can see it from Dave's posting, the apps need it.

About the quality of available RPM packages: Yes, there exist bugs. New packages usually introduce new bugs. Note that the POSIX subsystem is really complex and it takes some time to be able to build a first RPM package, understanding the meaning of its macros.

We all can help to improve these packages. (Actually, everything I have installed woks well. BTW: I don't have CUPS installed.) Creating new entries (after searching the tracker for existing ones) in the bug tracker is valuable for everyone. The people at bww are quite responsible on that and make fixed versions available almost immediately.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 09:28:59 pm »
RPM should do it automatically. But almost every RPM package is broken in several ways or is missing the correct dependencies. And as with most pre-alpha software there's no documentation.

Given your infinite wisdom I wonder why you did not do any correct package by yourself. Or any other valuable contribution to the community. Or did I overlook any ported or written by yourself piece of software from you? Please point me to your work to try it out. It's a shame that a genius like you produces only drivel :-(

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 11:22:13 pm »
Hi Doug

I'm not using Samba so would not know about that option.

As regards inclusion of klusmgr in ArcaOS and klibc I am only repeating what I was told.

Yes, i have "which" installed but the problem is not that gstoraster cannot be found but that it fails in a resource deadlock.

I do not want to get drawn into any arguments about yum/rpm but this attempt at installing cups and required packages via ANPM/yum/rpm could have gone a lot better and it would be preferable if I had a working printer as a result.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03:30 am »
As regards inclusion of klusmgr in ArcaOS and klibc I am only repeating what I was told.

I have one test system where it has not been installed. The RPM/YUM version of CUPS works well, but I do use Samba server, so I had the password file to work with. AFAICT, the user ID and password are only needed to log in to look at the log files, but there may be other things internally. It certainly won't stop CUPSD.EXE from loading.

I do not want to get drawn into any arguments about yum/rpm but this attempt at installing cups and required packages via ANPM/yum/rpm could have gone a lot better and it would be preferable if I had a working printer as a result.

Installing CUPS, and getting it to work, has always been a problem, but the ArcaOS installation works right out of the box, for me. There is obviously something in ArcaOS, that isn't in the CUPS packages. I have no idea what that might be. My HP D110a printer configures, and works well, with it. I use the printer with WiFi, because the USB port is physically broken. When I visit my brother (in June), I will see what happens with his Canon printer.

I haven't looked, but there may be some updated packages in the netlabs-exp repository. I would suggest that you look, but you need to be very careful with that stuff, because it hasn't been released to the netlabs-rel repository for a reason (not enough testing).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 02:31:10 am »
Hi Doug

Well, cupsd.exe would not start due to errors in cups-files.conf, cupsd -t reports errors with cups-files.conf

After installing and running klusmgr - which creates the files group and master.passwd in %UNIXROOT%/etc - cupsd works fine, cupsd -t no longer reports errors with cups-files.conf

So, Yes, in this instance it was necessary in order to get cupsd.exe running. Obviously if you already have the above files generated by another app it is unnecessary.

It may be worth trying the later builds in the experimental repo - after all, I am experimenting to see what works  :-)

Regards

Pete

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:20 am »
....There is obviously something in ArcaOS, that isn't in the CUPS packages. I have no idea what that might be....
I don't think so. I've running rpm/cups since the beginning when no ArcaOS exists. But given Pete solves the problem with klusmgr it seems to be some user rights management problem. Probably you do not see it cause Samba is always installed with ArcaOS AFAIK. Samba users have the full 'user right management thing' (whatever this is) installed and do not need klusmgr. And so cups seems to be happy for ArcaOS users or people like me who have samba running anyway.

From Petes experience it seems you need either the Samba 'user rights thing' or that one from klusmgr (NOT BOTH). Didn't look into the documentation but maybe this is missed in the cups readme and worth to create a ticket for.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:15 pm »
Hi Andi

What cups readme? - that is also missing.

It seems that a user needs to know where to look for documentation despite never having used yum/rpm to install software previously.

That is something that the yum/rpm people need to look into.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 07:47:33 am »
What cups readme? - that is also missing.

It seems that a user needs to know where to look for documentation despite never having used yum/rpm to install software previously.

That is something that the yum/rpm people need to look into.

Have you opened an incident for it (assuming somebody else hasn't done so already)? That is really a packaging problem, that should be fixed. Building RPM packages is more of an art, than a science, and CUPS is probably the most complicated package in the whole works (not a good one to start learning with). The people responsible won't know that you have a problem, if you don't tell them. I am pretty sure that they don't have time to hang out here.

FWIW, the last time I looked, the documentation was at netlabs, where it has been for a long time. Whether it has been updated, is a whole different question.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 03:52:31 pm »
Hi All

At the moment it seems that the gstoraster problem is caused by attempting to use the non-rpm supplied bjnp.exe plus cups17.dll to provide the correct backend.

Sadly this means that at this point in time the rpm releases of cups are of absolutely no use to anyone with a recent/current Canon inkjet printer that uses the bjnp port as there is no way of outputting to the printer.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 08:16:43 pm »
At the moment it seems that the gstoraster problem is caused by attempting to use the non-rpm supplied bjnp.exe plus cups17.dll to provide the correct backend.

The problem may be with the handling of cups17.dll. Dlls, in RPM/YUM, have been modified to provide multiple forwarding capabilities (or something like that) to account for different versions. Open an incident, and see what they have to say. I will try it with my brother's Canon MP620 printer, sometime in June, but I will probably use ArcaOS to do it. You could also try an older BJNP, if you can find it.

It is also possible, that the sockets backend will now support the Canon WiFi printers (but I wouldn't bet on it).

Have you tried a USB connection?