Author Topic: ArcaOS  (Read 9022 times)

xynixme

ArcaOS
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:54:58 pm »
Is there a list of "fixes" since eCS 1.x? After all OS/2, eCS and ArcaOS are different products.

An example is an eCS 2.x programmer assuming that *.MP3 works like *MP3, if there is a file extension (as long as a filename ends with *.MP3, regardless of the number of dots). Apparently that was an eCS 2.1 "fix", which breaks compatibility with older versions of about the same OS, and eCS 2 nor ArcaOS are GA for more than 1 or 2 languages.

So, is there list of generic non-GA "fixes" (changes) since eCS 1.2? Since eCS 2.x? Of course "fixes" have to be relevant for programming and for all users, so a fixed driver for a "Splectaturn 2000", documented new APIs, yet another installed utility, or a new look won't qualify.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:18:27 pm by André Heldoorn »

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
Re: ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »
There were broken pointers in Panorama, with snow on the screen etc.
I use patched driver but want to upgrade to ArcaOS as soon as possible.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:36:16 am »
"broken pointers in Panorama" ? Where ? How ?

Could you explain what you needed to patch in the Panorama driver ? I have never had the problem that you mention but I would surely be interested to know of any problems.

Lars

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:31:25 am »
At first, it didn't work with OS/4. According to AlexT, somebody missed an initialization of a global variable, that was a pointer, so, because kernel allows device driver to access all of the memory, Panorama in eCS 2.2-beta sometimes sended data to random address.

Then AlexT sent patched version to me, and then — to Arca Noae.

A snow on the screen completely gone.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:59:30 am »
I am also using Panorama and occasionally have spontaneous system reboots. I wonder if that could be the same problem. Is that driver available anywhere ?

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
I am also using Panorama and occasionally have spontaneous system reboots. I wonder if that could be the same problem. Is that driver available anywhere ?
Do the system reboots occur when launching ae.exe or newview.exe?  I often experience a reboot or a system hang when launching one of these two apps.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:35:46 am »
Fortunately there is somebody else with the same problem ...

I experience system reboots on the following:
1) when the XCenter bar has just finished constructing (drawing) itself. For me that means as soon as the WPS is "ready for use" as I load XCenter from the startup folder

2) when I open "volume.exe", the master volume control

But on both occasions it does not happen all the time but only occasionally (of course, otherwise I could not use my system at all).
I was completely clueless of what that could be but given the fact that my other OS/2 MUT partition uses SNAP and never experiences this problem I thought it might have something to do with exactly this difference ...
On the other hand, my OS/2 MUT partition only uses 1 core out of the 8 that I have, so that's also a difference.

Lars
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:37:33 am by Lars »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 03:18:33 pm »
Hi Lars,

...On the other hand, my OS/2 MUT partition only uses 1 core out of the 8 that I have, so that's also a difference....

Why just 1 core out of 8? Is it because you can not get the other ones running successfully using the OS/2 SMP drivers, or by choice?

I ask b/c I can only run 5 of the 6 cores on my machine, booting with the 6th core enabled causes me the dreaded WPS "Blue-Screen" lock...running SNAP here though.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 04:09:51 pm »
No, it's because of remote debugging. The MUT partition has a debug kernel and KBDNET.SYS in place.
KDBDNET.SYS supports debugging of one core only.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »
Well from my point of view, this problem is with certain programs that use some flash code (?) To control the usb, which are not completely compatible with the system usb.
One of the most harmful ones is usbmon.exe
Shut_down have that same problem

The problem starts with that the mouse is tried but does not obey the commands given, and if you do not do anything the system to a while closes, but if you turn off and turn on the wifi that is usb, or unplug and plug in the mouse usb, It is as if the processes continue and everything returns to normal.
On some occasions, I have to unplug and plug it up 4 or 5 times to regain control, or to do a full shut_down
I am not sure that the code is flash, but by the type of windows that I have sometimes seen I think it is flash.
Saludos