Author Topic: Arcaos install  (Read 8657 times)

pryan74

Arcaos install
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:12:02 pm »
Hi to all:

Down loaded arca 50 and unpacked 7zip (appears to be successful)
In side, one ISO folder, one iso file
Burned to dvd +R , again seems to be successful
Tried to boot dvd on three different computers (two of which
have last verision of ECS) one usb external and two internal drives
I got two lines at start of boot process, these two lines and boot stopped

CD Loader 2011.05.01
Loading second code portion ...<9F:0>

I am pleased to see OS/2 being taken forward, been looking for tis for
some time. I have been a big fan of Os/2 since mid 1992.
Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Phil

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Arcaos install
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:02:34 pm »
Something is going wrong with the preboot code. The fact 3 machines it dies nit work hint a badly burned dvd.
The text you posted is from the os2 memoir code that is used to boot Arcaos from Dvd.
At that point Arcaos is not even loaded, it's all in real mode code.

Suggested you burn a new Dvd it clearly is a media error of some sort.

Roderick

pryan74

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:26:25 pm »
Rodrick:
Thank you, I will reburn and try again
regards
Phil

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 02:10:06 am »
As Roderick mentioned to me, DVD RW often seem to be problematic, use a DVD R instead. Also might help to limit burn speed.

pryan74

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:52:40 pm »
Guzzi

Thanks for your input, I did not try dvd rw.  I did burn twice using dvd -r and dvd +r. same results

regards Phil

mhoney

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:12 pm »
Phil,

I too had issues burning to DVD+R and DVD-R.  After several attempts at creating non-bootable copies, I went to a different machine with a different brand burner and the ISO burned and booted first try.   Strange thing is the first machine burned and even verified the burns using ImgBurn.  Hope you get things worked out.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:17:28 am »
Phil,

I too had issues burning to DVD+R and DVD-R.  After several attempts at creating non-bootable copies, I went to a different machine with a different brand burner and the ISO burned and booted first try.   Strange thing is the first machine burned and even verified the burns using ImgBurn.  Hope you get things worked out.

Speed of burning, and using, or not using, RW media, is pretty much false information. If you have a burner that is working properly, AND you have good media (any type), you should be able to burn a good copy, at full speed, every time. Unfortunately, burners tend to wear out, with use (especially if you use one of those head cleaning things), and media quality has really gone downhill over the past few years. Then there is the problem of dust balls collecting inside the burner. They float around, and get in the road every once in a while. If you can burn, and verify the burn, it should work (but even that is not fool proof). Often, the burner program will verify the burn, as good, as long as it can read it once in a hundred tries. You can hear it doing that, if you listen. Of course, it may not always work when you try to read it again. With audio/video media, it doesn't really matter if there is a glitch. With pure data, it does matter. Slowing down the speed, might prevent dust balls from floating around, but it won't work around a bad drive, or media.

FWIW, I used one DVD-RW for 18 beta versions of ArcaOS, and never had any hint that there was a media problem. One "interesting" thing, that I did see, was that i could see lots of small marks, on the surface, when using a florescent lamp, but I couldn't see any sign of them using a LED lamp.

pryan74

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 02:01:41 am »
  A belated thanks to Marc and Doug.

Got a new external usb dvd reader - writer and got a successful burn (internal dvd in primary computer failed)
I can read dvd ok (defaulted to S drive)  On reboot, computer will not boot from dvd.  Spins wheels for a brief
period and boots to existing hard drive, BIOS set to look for cd - dvd first.
Computer is HP DV9623cd 17 inch laptop

Now my success story
Same dvd - writer, same dvd in my trusty Thinkpad T-30.  Booted and installed without problem.  Running
ArcaOS thru its paces, I have to say a big hats off to ARCA NOAE.  I now have a long absent print system,
could never get a fully functional CUPS.  I cont. more testing.

Any suggestions on the HP problem would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Phil

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 04:35:47 am »
Were you trying to boot the HP's internal DVD? If so, try using the new external one. Probably have to set it to boot from USB

pryan74

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
Dave:  Thanks for your reply

No, did not try to boot from HP's internal dvd drive (problem most likely mother board,
close to time for a new computer).  Using external usb dvd ( defaults to S drive in HP, I can read dvd.
Will not Boot HP. Bios boot order set for cd dvd first, hard drive, second,usb hard drive third,
usb floppy drive fourth. resetting boot order usb hard drive or usb floppy, no change.

Regards
Phil

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 04:00:35 pm »
Hi Phil

If the BIOS speciifies usb hard drive and floppy but not usb cd/dvd I would guess that the system cannot boot from usb cd/dvd.

Regards

Pete