Author Topic: How to fit ArcaOS 5.0.1 ISO into a CD  (Read 9515 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
How to fit ArcaOS 5.0.1 ISO into a CD
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:39:31 pm »
Hi

I got this question by e-mail, and now I also want to try it for an old computer.
ArcaOS 5.0.1 ISO burns and works nice a DVD, but I want to try it on a 700MB CD and it is obvious it doe not fit.

Any ideas, tricks, or it just imposible? I want to install ArcaOS 5.0.1 on a old Aptiva (Only CD, no DVD) that I have here just for the fun of it.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:26:59 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Re: How to fit ArcaOS 5.0.1 ISO into a CD
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »
How old is this old computer? What is the make and model of this old computer?
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:06:12 pm »
Hi

I got this question by e-mail, and now I also want to try it for an old computer.
ArcaOS 5.0.1 ISO burns and works nice a DVD, but I want to try it on a 700MB CD and it is obvious it does not fit.

Any ideas, tricks, or it just impossible? I'm want to install ArcaOS 5.0.1 on a old Aptiva (Only CD, no DVD) that I have here just for the fun of it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:01:17 pm »
Hi

ArcaOS 5.0.1 ISO burns and works nice a DVD, but I want to try it on a 700MB CD and it is obvious it doe not fit.

Any ideas, tricks, or it just imposible? I'm want to install ArcaOS 5.0.1 on a old Aptiva (Only CD, no DVD) that I have here just for the fun of it.

Regards

It might be easier looking at the DVD to install on another system with Aptiva hard drive in the system and put back the hard disc. That might be easier then to see how you can strip 500 megabyte of the ISO.

But that is just my idea.

Roderick

Dennis Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:48:46 pm »
Lewis Rosenthal has stated that most of the legacy ISA and Microchannel bus support has been removed from ArcaOS.

Even eComstation was modified enough for more modern hardware that it doesn't work on many computers produced before the late 90's.   The ABIOS.SYS and .BIO
files for Microchannel bus as well as Microchannel SCSI and IDE drivers were removed from the installation.  Manually adding them gets the installation process farther
but still eventually results in a TRAP error on the kernel with eCs 1.1 or a complete system lockup with eCs 2.0.

I have a mid 90's IBM PC Series 750 desktop that is PCI bus based with a Pentium 133MHz and I have had no luck getting eComstation to install on that as well.  OS/2
Warp 4.52 does install and work fine.

I'd be surprised if ArcaOS will install on a computer built before the early 2000s. 

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 10:18:10 pm »
I tried to do this for a high value industrial opportunity, but I could not get it to run in time. I got decent help from Arca Noae, but RPM/YUM is a significant obstacle. We could use some utilities to automatically trim repositories.

The old Microsoft/IBM installer is a bit picky, too. It's amazing how good the ArcaOS installer is considering that's still being used.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:34:14 pm »
Lewis Rosenthal has stated that most of the legacy ISA and Microchannel bus support has been removed from ArcaOS.

Even eComstation was modified enough for more modern hardware that it doesn't work on many computers produced before the late 90's.   The ABIOS.SYS and .BIO
files for Microchannel bus as well as Microchannel SCSI and IDE drivers were removed from the installation.  Manually adding them gets the installation process farther
but still eventually results in a TRAP error on the kernel with eCs 1.1 or a complete system lockup with eCs 2.0.

I have a mid 90's IBM PC Series 750 desktop that is PCI bus based with a Pentium 133MHz and I have had no luck getting eComstation to install on that as well.  OS/2
Warp 4.52 does install and work fine.

I'd be surprised if ArcaOS will install on a computer built before the early 2000s.

Providing support for ISA systems is not really an issue for eCS or ArcaOS. Having been involved with testing and discussing some of the issue's of the eCS installer at Mensys at the time, MCA systems are a whole different story.
The reason in eCS at least had MCA support was removed was to save space in the boot images used on the CD.
But also because some of the MCA support causes issue's on more modern systems. It would have been difficult to support MCA machines in the eCS installer. 

The question also becomes what the real benefit is of running ArcaOS or eCS on such old systems. Why ? Because the applications on the OS keep getting heavier and heavier (not OS/2 BTW).  Running Firefox 38 on a Pentium 133 ?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 04:30:00 am »
Hi

It is an old Aptiva S (Pentium 200Mhz). Maybe the best option is the one of installing it on the HDD on a different computer and them switching it back to the Aptiva, or if I can find a IDE DVD drive for it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Why?
...just for the fun of it.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:36 am »
You could remove the  Mozilla apps and prune the rpms, though as Neil said, it is not as simple as it looks.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:44 pm »
Hi

It is an old Aptiva S (Pentium 200Mhz). Maybe the best option is the one of installing it on the HDD on a different computer and them switching it back to the Aptiva, or if I can find a IDE DVD drive for it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Why?
...just for the fun of it.

You have a lot of SATA to IDE adapter which should help you use current SATA DVD drive   

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 02:57:38 pm »
You have a lot of SATA to IDE adapter which should help you use current SATA DVD drive   

Do you know some that you can recomend it? I used only one on the past which was very cheap and it burned my SATA DVD when I tried to use it as IDE.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster