Author Topic: Share your ArcaOS screenshots  (Read 28487 times)

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
Re: Share your ArcaOS screenshots
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 05:51:28 pm »
My desktop, using an old OS X image which I rather like. (Running in VirtualBox on OS X 10.11)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:55:59 pm by Jean-Yves »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:14 am »
Hi Remy

Maybe the SSD is causing problems... I suggest unplugging it - or turn off in BIOS? - and retrying the install to see what happens.

Regards

Pete

xynixme

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 03:10:47 am »
My desktop, using an old OS X image which I rather like.

Is (Stardock's game) Links for OS/2 a component of ArcaOS? If so, with which course files?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 04:34:57 am »
Is (Stardock's game) Links for OS/2 a component of ArcaOS? If so, with which course files?

No

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 01:04:54 pm »
Re: Links game - As Dave says, I'm afraid not - I bought it way back when OS/2 software was still available to find relatively easily.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 04:47:52 pm »
ArcaOS on a Mircosoft Surface Pro 4 i7 doesn't look that bad, doesn't it?  ::) 8) ;D

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »
ArcaOS on a Mircosoft Surface Pro 4 i7 doesn't look that bad, doesn't it?

Did you notice that the installer leaves the video set at 64K colors? Change that to 16M colors, and it will probably look even better.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 07:20:27 pm »
Hi

Since the ArcaOS 5.0 news got slashdotted, I think I need more screenshots :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 09:44:03 pm »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:46:14 pm by ivan »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 01:09:54 am »
And soon on Tech Republic and golem.de

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
It seems that "by popular demmand" Arca Noae included some screenshots:
https://www.arcanoae.com/glimpse-new-arcaos-desktop/

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

xynixme

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 06:37:34 pm »
It seems that "by popular demmand" Arca Noae included some screenshots

Do be careful with claims like "a fully-compatible DOS environment". We may have to tell potential users that DOSBox is required to, for example, be able to enjoy the sound of their ancient DOS game. Most of the screenshots are pretty basic, but that's a choice and we're already familiar with eCS.

Derived question: I'm not into 4OS/2, but which version of 4OS/2 is included? ISTR there were two releases.

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 10:52:00 pm »
I noticed the screenshots that Arca Noae posted and there is 2 that I haven't figured out how to do.

The 5th one says "Open a drive or folder object in a split view as a mini-file manager." I've messed with folder view settings and can't seem to recreate the split view.

Also the 6th one shows thumbnails. I haven't figured out how to do that as well.

I'll admit, I haven't spent a lot of time trying to duplicate those features, but I did give it a go and didn't find anything obvious.

xynixme

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 11:06:22 pm »
I noticed the screenshots that Arca Noae posted and there is 2 that I haven't figured out how to do.

Video sometimes may work better nowaydays. Not only for your how-to question. The USB screenshots with text could be compressed into a few seconds of video, showing the expected behaviour. Show a few cool features of objects instead of explaining that a GUI isn't a OOUI. Just a suggestion, and cheating with video is possible. Many screenshots are fine, so as such I'm not advocating video. Sometimes a Youtube-quality video will work better, that's all. With screenshots, if you are used to GUIs and have never worked with an OOUI, then you won't really know what an OOUI is.

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 11:48:10 pm »

Sorry about that, Kevin. I guess we should add some stuff to our wiki on how to do cool stuff on the ArcaOS desktop!

The 5th one says "Open a drive or folder object in a split view as a mini-file manager." I've messed with folder view settings and can't seem to recreate the split view.

Xview is a new folder view available from the folder context menu. Find your Drives object in the Computer folder. Right-click it to open the context menu. Select Open as > Xview.

To set that as the default "Open as" action, hold down either shift key while selecting Xview.

Now, once you have XView open, you may do a few more things to tweak the layout. Go to the View menu, and select Options. Hopefully, the four sections of that menu will be self-explanatory. Also, to switch from icon view (on the right) to details view, just use View | Icon view (the default) or View | Details view. The options you set will be used for whichever view you choose here.

If you have a folder open in Xview and the folder has a background configured, it may be less distracting to view the contents without the custom background. In the view options, there is a toggle in the "This folder" section for "Backgrounds" - just click it to toggle.

Also the 6th one shows thumbnails. I haven't figured out how to do that as well.

That folder is a light table, not a regular folder. there are a couple light tables which come pre-installed, namely, \sys\icons (if you opted to allow the installation of Dynamic Icons) and \MMOS2\IMAGES and its subfolders.

A light table object is a special Workplace Shell class which displays thumbnails of recognized image formats. One method to create a new light table is to open the Multimedia Templates subfolder of the Templates folder in Computer. Once you have Multimedia Templates open, simply drag (right mouse button; this is OS/2!) the Light table template onto the desktop, right-click to open the new object's context menu, and give it a name. Drag it wherever you like from there (if you have a directory open in Xview, just drag it there, for example), and fill it with whatever images you'd like to present as a light table.

When the light table is open, select View | Display to change the thumbnail size from Normal to Small or Dynamic, the latter of which opens a submenu which allows you to select a size in px. You may also change the arrangement of the "slides" in the light table from the same Display submenu.

HTH, and thanks for your business and for contributing to the community discussion here! Enjoy your new OS/2!

PS - I just got done doing an hour-long interview with Bryan Lunduke (of Network World fame) for his Lunduke Hour YouTube show. It should be up in a few hours. No neat usage tips, but some background as to why we did this crazy thing (release ArcaOS) and the fun we had with licensing and dealing with IBM!
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com