Author Topic: ArcaOS - How to enable SMP  (Read 8312 times)

Remy

• View Profile
ArcaOS - How to enable SMP
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:14 am »
Anyone knows how to enable SMP mode ?
( selective install has no feature for SMP nor did I found an SMP install option and I bougth ArcaOS to use it in SMP mode ! )

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS - How to enable SMP
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 12:45:09 am »
If you did a sucessful install you should only need to bring up the CPU Moniter in Programs-Utilities and turn the processors you want to use on.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 01:24:49 am »
If you did a sucessful install you should only need to bring up the CPU Moniter in Programs-Utilities and turn the processors you want to use on.

No good idea. ( only one CPU listed )

Install was successfull but SMP mode is not enabled !   ( only one CPU is on - SMP kernel not installed ! )
Under selective install there is no option to install SMP ( the readme tells that it should be an option but there is none ) ...
No where I could find a tool or interface to allow SMP installation and make me use all BIOS available processor available !

( I already lost a full day to find where it is and could not find it... )   >:(

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:44:12 am »
What M.B. and cpu are you using and which ARCAOS install option did you use?

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:08:50 am »
This is a stab in the dark since I haven't installed Arcaos2 yet, but I suspect multiple CPUs are controlled with ACPI. Check your CONFIG.SYS file for the line

PSD=ACPI.PSD

If there is more on the line, meaning any switches (for example PSD=ACPI.PSD /MAXCPU=1)

then you are probably limited to a single cpu. 

On ECS the install turns off the extra CPUs during the install but then updates the CONFIG.SYS to turn SMP back on at the end. If Acraos2 is similar then it might simply have not made the change in the CONFIG.SYS.

You can probably find documentation on ACPI on your boot drive. Try searching for PSD_EN.INF or looking for an ACPI directory and scan that for the read me or other help.

Another alternative is to install the latest version of ACPI and let it update your CONFIG.SYS.

BTW - once ACPI is working correctly you can then use the CPU monitor to turn on or off the CPUs. But ACPI has to be working correctly.

Hope this helps.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 02:31:16 am »
Note: Sorry, I split the topic. I think it deserved its own thread.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 02:59:31 am »
There was a bug where the W4 kernel was being installed which should have been fixed. Check your kernel with bldlevel to make sure you have the SMP kernel first. If so then check config.sys for acpi.psd, without options.
If you don't have the SMP kernel installed, you should raise an issue with Arca Noae and return here where we can walk you through installing it.
ps the SMP option might only show up doing the advanced install.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »
Anyone knows how to enable SMP mode ?
( selective install has no feature for SMP nor did I found an SMP install option and I bougth ArcaOS to use it in SMP mode ! )

ArcaOS just like eCS (since version 2.0). If you install on bare metal (not in a VM). It will load the SMP kernel and ACPI.PSD by default. Is your equipped with more then 1 CPU core it will enable SMP by ACPI loading...

If SMP does not work tell us how you reached the conclusion SMP did not work. Did you install in a VM ? We can try to help you but please provide sligthly more info.

Regards,

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 voice

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:48:20 pm »
There was a bug where the W4 kernel was being installed which should have been fixed. Check your kernel with bldlevel to make sure you have the SMP kernel first. If so then check config.sys for acpi.psd, without options.
If you don't have the SMP kernel installed, you should raise an issue with Arca Noae and return here where we can walk you through installing it.
ps the SMP option might only show up doing the advanced install.

Thanks,
BLDLEVEL always show that SMP kernel is not installed, this is why I asked about how to enable/install SMP mode.

Because it didn't work, I deleted the installation disk and give a try on my new PC replacing the older one.
Under this one, unable to go forward the "detecting disk message...."
( see my comments under ArcoOS screenshots entry )

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 06:42:45 pm »
Whether or not the SMP kernel is installed depends on how the preboot system sets up the system type.

On the second page of the preboot menu, there are four system types.  "Older hardware" or "Virtual machine" will install the W4 kernel.  Either of the "modern" options should cause the SMP kernel to be selected.

We'd originally thought to make this override-able in the GUI installer, but that would have required much more convoluted logic branching, which seemed like too much for too little benefit.  We may revisit this in later versions.