Author Topic: Firefox 45.5 Install issues  (Read 34772 times)

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
Firefox 45.5 Install issues
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:46:18 pm »
Following directions for install I cannot find "hunspell" with the ANPM and the program won't start without it.  Also can't find libjpeg-turbo.   Any suggestions or is this a mistyping by the bitwise folks?
Matt W.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 45.5 Install issues
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:29:41 pm »
In the experimental repository by the looks of it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
Hi Matt

Check Herwig's reply (Bitwise works) here - Firefox 45 Installation. There are two libraries that are on Netlabs experimental repo. We can put that repo on RPM/YUM or wait for monday or tuesday to be posted on the regular Netlabs repo.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 01:03:22 am »
You can also manually download them and install directly, yum install turbojpeg-1.5.1-1.oc00.i686.rpm for example. Note that upgrading nspr with the one in the experimental repositroy might also be necessary, at least it was for building.

xynixme

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:03:31 pm »
install turbojpeg-1.5.1-1

Yet another DLL called JPEG.DLL? Or does this one replace one of the more usual JPEG v8 DLLs?

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:18:04 am »
...Yet another DLL called JPEG.DLL? Or does this one replace one of the more usual JPEG v8 DLLs?

I'm guessing that it replaces it given that it is supposed to provide the same functionality albeit at a much improved speed(s).

I installed it on my machine, given that it was a FF 45 pre-req, no complaints from ANPM/RPM/YUM (which on it's own is questionable, it really should at least give you some sort of warning and/or notification). Anyways, things still appear to work fine here...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:28:08 am »
install turbojpeg-1.5.1-1

Yet another DLL called JPEG.DLL? Or does this one replace one of the more usual JPEG v8 DLLs?

It's a simd accelerated JPEG library, so the newer the CPU, the more simd (SSE etc) instructions it'll use. It's been in Firefox since ver 4 and is still in my builds. Bitwise seems to like seeing how many dependencies they can make Firefox require.

xynixme

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:28:20 pm »
"hunspell"

Where does hunspell look for its data files? It's FF for OS/s, so there's no UNIXROOT, but FF's non-bootdrive contains a \USR directory.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:22 pm »
Unzipped firefox into a new directory, downloaded all the listed RPMs (and as zips) and added the DLLs to the DLL directory.  Tried to start firefox and it popped up a note that a DLL was missing - that DLL was NOT in the listed requirements.  I then went digging and finally found it and added it to the DLL directory.  Tried to start firefox again and get a message about another missing DLL that is not in the listed requirements.

What is going on with these ports and why won't they provide a zip file with all the required DLLs?

The only version of firefox that just works is the one that Dave produced.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:22:22 pm »
Unzipped firefox into a new directory, downloaded all the listed RPMs (and as zips) and added the DLLs to the DLL directory.  Tried to start firefox and it popped up a note that a DLL was missing - that DLL was NOT in the listed requirements.  I then went digging and finally found it and added it to the DLL directory.  Tried to start firefox again and get a message about another missing DLL that is not in the listed requirements.

What is going on with these ports and why won't they provide a zip file with all the required DLLs?

The only version of firefox that just works is the one that Dave produced.

Unluckily, Bitwise no longer supports using zips to install the prerequisites for Firefox. Too hard?
I guess you can look in the rpms for their dependencies.
Unluckily it has become hard for me to produce a Firefox without most of these dependencies though I don't see any point in making hunspell a dependency, probably less language dictionaries available, not sure if personal dictionaries (right click and add to dictionary) survive the update.

xynixme

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:09:52 pm »
Unluckily, Bitwise no longer supports using zips to install the prerequisites for Firefox. Too hard?
I guess you can look in the rpms for their dependencies.
Unluckily it has become hard for me to produce a Firefox without most of these dependencies though I don't see any point in making hunspell a dependency, probably less language dictionaries available, not sure if personal dictionaries (right click and add to dictionary) survive the update.
So now FF + OS/2 = missing DLLs and missing requirements and missing support.

The list of packages can be used to download/update all required DLL files indeed. I guess mine's:

freetyp6.dll
hunspel0.dll
jpeg.dll
jpeg8.dll
libcx0.dll
png1616.dll
turbojp0.dll
z.dll
z1.dll
freebl3k.dll
nspr4.dll
nspr4k.dll
nss3k.dll
nssckbik.dll
nssdbm3k.dll
nssuti3k.dll
plc4.dll
plc4k.dll
plds4.dll
plds4k.dll
smime3k.dll
softok3k.dll
ssl3.dll
ssl3k.dll
libvpx4.dll

I've decided I won't install any hunspell dictionary now. There's at least one FF dictionary.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 08:08:27 pm »
So now FF + OS/2 = missing DLLs and missing requirements and missing support.
That's not true. I've no missing dlls and I got/get a lot of support.

You probably get no support for zip installation. At least not from bww for obvious reasons.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »
Andi, I also downloaded the RPMs and unpacked them.  The DLLs that were missing were not in those packages. 

The fact that you don't have any problems implies that the missing DLLs are included in something you have installed but I haven't.  This is why I was asking for a zip with ALL the dependencies.   Assuming that some DLLs from other programs will be available is very bad practice - the only time that is workable is if those DLLs are an integral part of the OS - since they are not they should be supplied.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 10:07:42 pm »
This is why I was asking for a zip with ALL the dependencies.
Of course it's possible for me to zip the whole usr/. dir and upload it somewhere. But it absolutely would not make any sense. You can unrpm all packages and look into them for yourself to find out all dependencies if you like. But it will take some time a fear. And for what reason? Not any good IMHO. But YMMV.

xynixme

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 11:21:56 pm »
The fact that you don't have any problems implies that the missing DLLs are included in something you have installed but I haven't.

A reasonable starting point of Firefox for OS/2 is OS/2, and OS/2's human package manager. The theoretical new user will experience missing DLLs which have to be downloaded "somewhere", no support because the user is not using an implied requirement, and a missing digital package manager. A reasonable starting point. Andi's starting point may be eCS or ArcaOS, and a digital package manager. It's a disadvantage of lacking competition. I'm just saying that FF for OS/2 isn't FF for OS/2, as illustrated by the formula.