Author Topic: ArcaOS5 and VMPlayer12 the fastest Virtual OS/2 I have ever seen!  (Read 14111 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Yesterday I tried to install ARcaOS5 inside VM Player12. Everything went well until the System started to copy files.

My experience with other Installation was, that copying:

- using a full Installation stops in the second stage at 44% (on X200T, W700 Latops), while it goes through in Virtualbox...

- stops at 2% in the first stage in VM PLayer 12. At this Point there is usually a "Beep" in all installations I tried. The Beep occurs in VM Player as well, but the System then stops copying and the "beep" is repeated after a while for 3 or 4 times and then the System reboots.

-> Has anyone an idea what exactly the "Beep" at 2% means, what files are copied/installed at that stage? I tried different preboot choices, but None of them has gone pass this Point.

-> Can anyone reproduce the failure at 44% in case of a "Full Installation" (every box checked)?

Thanks in Advance!

What makes me wonder: inside VMPlayer the PrebootMenue recognizes a SCSI Controller.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:49:50 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ak120

Re: ArcaOS5 and VMPlayer12
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:55:56 am »
What makes me wonder: inside VMPlayer the PrebootMenue recognizes a SCSI Controller.
VMware only supports emulated SCSI HBA for older operating systems. VMware Workstation/player can use IDE, but that's not really supported.
You have to choose and configure the right SCSI adapter (BusLogic BT-958) for the VM. The LSI SCSI is not working with all releases of OS/2 and also can fail with VirtualBox on supported releases. With the BusLogic setting machines can be transferred between VirtualBox and VMware. But the emulated audio adapter is different under VMware (SB AudioPCI).

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07:03 pm »
imho, sounds like copy protection!

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 02:26:46 pm »
Thanks for the hints but None of them helped. The solution was as simple as this:

Do not use JFS!

While I was thinking about what the System is doing during the first 2% of "Copying" in Phase 1 I guessed it may be: Formatting. Seem to be the right guess  8)

In Addition I changed some Things in the advanced Settings of the VM, added i.e. USB and 2 Cores.

So I have got a running System now with:

Internet Connection
2 cores
No Problems with DOS/WinOS2

What I have to test is USB, but the Drivers loaded at least so far and all the rest  ::)

What did not work is the UNIAUD Driver, it failed during boot, I guess I will give another one a try (Like Andreas wrote about SondBlaster).

All in all: very promising so far!

Please see Pictures!

(Yes, could be a Thing for the Bugtracker, but I do not have the best experience with this....  ;)  )

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »
Isnt that cool?  8)

ArcaOS5 running simultanesly in Virtualbox and VMware under Windows 10 1703 Pro 64

(Thanks to 16GB of RAM  8) )

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
Hi Sigurd.

That picture is super cool.  8)

Will it be ok to use them on the OS2World Wiki?

Do you think this "non-install issue on VMWare Player" should be some kind of limitation on the JFS boot driver?
Maybe it can be interesting to try to find out more about this issue and if it applies to open a ticket on Arca Noae's site. But if it is a VMWare Player limitation that's another story.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:09 pm »
Hi Martin,

yes, I send you the Picture in higher Quality to your Hotmail address. If I remeber correctly ecs 2.1 could have been installed inside VM with JFS, but I am not sure.

ak120

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:19:15 pm »
Thanks for the hints but None of them helped. The solution was as simple as this:

Do not use JFS!
It's not a general problem with JFS but with the Boot Manager. As long you're using HPFS for installation volume (without boot manager) there's no problem with additional volumes formatted with JFS.

What did not work is the UNIAUD Driver, it failed during boot, I guess I will give another one a try (Like Andreas wrote about SondBlaster).
Zur Sicherheit einfach mal "rmview /dp | grep 1274" ausführen. Eigentlich sollte der ES1371-Treiber (Hobbes) passen.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:57 pm »
@Andreas,

thanks, I will give it a try!

Here, you may know it already, that is the Maximum Resolution using Gengradd that is provided for me with the SurfacePRO4,

1920X1440

but this is hard to work with with the Standard Resolution of the Surface Pro 4, 2736X1824

@Martin

the mail I sent has been denied. Please send me a mail to Sigurd.FastenrathATt-onlineDOTde and I will Reply.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:42:22 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:24 pm »
Well,, loading the 1371 Sound Driver leads to a frozen WPS.....  :-\

But on the other Hand:

I have never ever seen such a fluent and speedy virtual OS/2 Installation before!

Even html5 Videos in Fullscreen are running fluent (Sound still missing though)!!!

Absolutly fantastic!

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS5 and VMPlayer12 the fastest Virtual OS/2 I have ever seen!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »
And really astonishing (for me) - the Hardware Support!

It does not matter if the SurfacePro4 is in the Dockingstation with cabled Internet or at home with Wirelessinternet - it allways works! No switch needed!

The SurfacePro4 Typecover inlcuding the touchpad is supported as well and working like a charm, here is the HardwareManager, the most complex one I had so far  ::)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:54:56 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:39 pm »
Bravo, Sigurd!

Nice work, and thanks for the compliments about the hardware support.  ;)

I did an installation yesterday in VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.6 on Linux, and it felt pretty good (though not as good as on native hardware on the same box, which is a ThinkPad T520 dual core i5-2520M with 8GB; on bare metal, ArcaOS is truly amazing).
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

ak120

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:24:37 am »
You can manually change the emulated audio adapter to ALC888, but there's no driver support for OS/2. It's better to change the machine settings to values recommended by VMware for OS/2 guests.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 03:11:10 am »
Lewis: The interview is live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oXKMZ56R2o
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 06:02:32 pm »
Does anyone know how to get Arca to actually fill the screen on VMware? If I set to higher res I get a screen that scrolls, but in full screen it only fills the middle of the screen. Curious if anyone has found a way around this..

Rick