Author Topic: os4: KEE update notification  (Read 14036 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: os4: KEE update notification
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 11:41:01 pm »
The W4 kernels, which give better performance (10% or so) in a single processor environment.
To be honest, I've never tried to load a PSD with a W4 kernel, was just told that they required the SMP or UNI and from what Lars says, I may have been wrong.
Should be a W4 kernel in OS2\INSTALL\W4 in later systems.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 11:52:50 pm »

Then you will be delighted to hear that since about 14.104 or so the W4 kernels can also load a PSD !
You can try out (and switch to native FPU exception handling):

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/os2pcat3.wpi

It's a PSD that I have written to fix some prob with the W4 kernel and to switch over using native FPU exception reporting (instead of going via IRQ13 on the external interrupt controller). It was meant as a personal learning excercise.
It also comes with full source code (well there is not much ...).

Lars

I'll test it out at some point. Don't use Warp too much as it has Snap installed and it doesn't support my current monitors resolution. On the other hand it doesn't suffer from the FPU control word bug.

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 05:40:01 pm »
Another benefit of a new kernel is also to avoid to add patches to PSDs, drivers and other places to fix or add workarounds to the kernel but adding new functions and fixes to the krnl itself, which is the right place. When i remember correctly its only possible to load one psd so 'every' psd in use need to add this code to provide it to old krnl based systems,