Author Topic: Unable to install ArcaOS  (Read 14379 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Unable to install ArcaOS
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 01:20:20 am »
Hi Paul

I think I may be gradually winning my war with ArcaOS  :-)

I am not really sure what the log file names mean but "regedit2" appears in the files DIALOG.L1, DIALOG.L2 and warpin.log

Not sure about the Power problem - I see a Power object in System Setup that basically reports the state of power.

What should the screen resolution be?

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 02:01:23 am »
Pete

Glad you're making progress.

As far as REGEDIT2.EXE is concerned I opend a DOS session, went to the apprpriate folder and tried to launch directly. I came up witha message "System cannot find PMWINX".

I have the Power icon but I get the message I mentioned before when I click on it.

My laptop has a resolution of 1280 x 800 so I was wondering how I might get that.

Also how do I log onto my wi-fi internet?

Paul

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 02:50:11 am »
Weird that PMWinx is not installed as it is a basic part of OS/2.
You will have to install Panorama or Snap, depending on whether Snap supports your video. They're both S:\CID\SERVER (assuming your DVD drive is S:). Read the READMEs for how to install and if you still can't get the correct resolution, report here for more help.
Assuming you have a working wifi driver installed, easiest is to add the wireless widget to the Arcabar by right clicking and choosing "Add new widget"

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 03:10:24 am »
Dave

Thanks.

I was under the impressionn that Firefox, Thunderbird and one or two other applications were included with ArcaOS but I can't find them anywhere - there are no entries in the Installed Software folder within the desktop Programs folder.

Ref wifi, looking at the Hardware Manager I have the Intel PRO/1000 Network Adapter listed (as well as the ACPI interface - see my earlier comment about lack of power management). What is the Arcabar? I have the Toolbox open at the bottom of the screen but right-clicking doesnt have the option to Add widget'.

Paul

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 04:38:24 am »
You have to right click on the right spot. Isn't the Intel PRO/1000 Network Adapter a regular adapter? You never did say what hardware you're installing on, but on my T42, I had to choose the correct wireless adapter during installation.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 05:16:59 am »
Dave

I've right-clicked everywhere on the Toolbar (that's the bar that sits along the bottom of the screen) but no 'Add widget' option shows.

I just accepted the defaults shown on the Hardware Configuration on installation. Is there anyway to go back and review these choices?

For the record:

Model: HP DV6000z
CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-56 (1.8GHz/512×2 L2)
Memory: 2GB PC5300 DDR2 2 DIMMs 0 Open
Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM Seagate ST9120821AS
Motherboard: Quanta 30B8
Screen: 15.4″ WXGA Glossy
Optical Drive: LG GSA-4084N
Wireless: Broadcomm A/B/G with Bluetooth

Paul

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 05:25:44 am »
Try getting the pointer on the edge of the toolbar where it turns into a double arrow and right click.
I don't know if there is a driver for the Broadcomm A/B/G with Bluetooth. You can install more network adapters with MPTN, I'm away from my ArcaOS desktop so forget exactly where it is, under system setup network IIRC.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 05:43:28 am »
It seems clear that you have a broken/incomplete installation.  How severe an issue this is depends on where/how the installation encountered the error.  This is basically impossible to diagnose without the detailed support file from the system in question (as described in the user guide, second-to-last page).

The procedure for getting support for ArcaOS installation (and other) problems is to start by opening a problem ticket with Arca Noae (see Appendix G of the guide). Unless you do that, we really can't help you.

FWIW, the most important installation logfile is LCU.L2 (not an especially intuitive name, I know). This shows the overall status of the install process, and will generally allow you to see where the installation was interrupted.  However, for full diagnosis, all the logs AND response files will be required for analysis. The support file (see above) will contain this.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 06:36:05 am »
Alex

Something very weird has just happened. I went into Selective Install and the page with many options had only Symmetric Multiprocessor checked. So I clicked the install button and when the installation had finished and after a reboot I found that the missing features, that I have mentioned in these posts, were all installed including e.g. the registry editor and the power management application plus Firefox, etc.

So it appears I now have a working ArcaOS installation. The one thing I haven't got, and I need, is a wi-fi connection.

I suppose it would be a good idea to backup my installation but I can't find a backup application.

I appreciate yours and everybody else's contributions to my fraught journey.

Paul

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 03:37:10 pm »
Hi Paul

Glad to read you are winning your war as well  ;-)

If you need a working wireless nic then the only possible answer at the moment is to see if the Broadcom nic can be swapped out for an Intel nic. I gather some laptops do not allow this but it has worked for me on an Acer 5320 and Dell E5500 both of which had Broadcom wireless nics replaced by Intel equivalents and now have wireless connectivity.

Before going ahead with that you will want to check if there is a driver package for the Intel nic - probably best done by asking in the genmac newsgroup news.gmane.org:gmane.org.netlabs.genmac.user

Also worth knowing is that you will need genmac2.21 - check in above ng for download link - rather than the version of genmac supplied with ArcaOS which did not seem to want to work with my non-ArcaOS supplied driver package for an Intel 5100:- kept getting a "No valid hardware found..." when trying to load driver during boot.

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 03:44:53 am »
Pete

Thanks for the info on NICs, I'll have a look. Good luck with your installation.

Paul