Author Topic: ArcaOS - new install (and a few questions)  (Read 28160 times)

zoward

Re: ArcaOS - new install (and a few questions)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 02:14:37 am »
Well, I'm not 100% sure it  bound successfully.  Here's the relevant  output from LANTRAN.LOG:

MMRE Hardware detected: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
MMRE PHY: driver=rlphy OUI=e04c MODEL=11 FAIL
MMRE PHY: driver=rgephy OUI=e04c MODEL=11 SUCCESS
MMRE Mac Address: 74:d0:2b:09:92:d3
MMRE Setup filter interrupt 16
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
+

and that's it.  Do all of the driver calls above need to report success, or just the last one?

Connectivity is also an interesting question.  Up until a while ago, all my attempts to ping the router or any local machines gave me: No known route to host.  After setting the address to 192.168.1.xxx, ping just hangs.

Tantaliziingly, I get the following line in the ARP table (arp -a):

interface      hardware address        IP address      minutes since last use
  lan0             (incomplete)                192.168.1.1                  1

The first thing I'd do is check in \ibmcom\lantran.log for possible error messages.  That should tell you whether the driver bound to the MAC hardware successfully or not.

You said that setting a manual address and route gets retained, but you didn't mention whether connectivity actually works if you do this.

If you get no connectivity even with no errors in LANTRAN.LOG and manual address/mask/gateway configured, you will probably need to open a ticket on the MMRE MAC driver and report as much of your MAC hardware information (especially PCI IDs and revisions) as possible.  This information should be contained in the machine.cfg file in your \sys\install\rsp directory.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 01:01:13 pm »
Well, I'm not 100% sure it  bound successfully.  Here's the relevant  output from LANTRAN.LOG:

I have this same problem, with an RTL8169-10ech: 8169h
I attached files with the problem.
Also mention, that the text mode installation I put a short localhost, the installer omitted the data I entered, and put the localhost with another long name ARCA-XXXXX 14 digits. In os2 the maximum length were not 10 digits?
I think I remember and I'm not sure about this.
The case is that in the ibmlan.ini appears a localhost with short name of my installation text, and in other places appears a long name ARCA-xxxxxxx
All internal net is ok, but I ca not go internet out.
I have more files but I can not put it in this forum by size. ARCAOS-EE8A0FA-20170529-MMRE-0.00.6.log - inst_log.zip - NETINST.LOG
saludos

NOTE: modify localhost by hostname , sorry my bad inglish.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:53:30 pm by roberto »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 03:22:38 pm »
Hi Howard

The lantran.log section looks right - here is mine for comparison

IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [05/21/04] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
TCPBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 6.0. IBM LAN Redirector ( May 25, 2005)

IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
Adapter 0 has 123 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS applications.
NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
MMRE NDIS device driver @#Arca Noae LLC:0.0.5#@##1## 4 Dec 2016 21:33:03      DAZAR1    ::::5::SVN63@@RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S/8168/8111/8101E P
MMRE Hardware detected: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
MMRE Mac address: fc:aa:14:2f:a1:23
V-SWITCH 1:  searching for "PSWCH00$" section.
V-SWITCH 1:  searching for "DSWCH00$" section.
V-SWITCH 1:  found section "DSWCH00$".
V-SWITCH 1:  found section "PSWCH00$".
V-SWITCH 1:  "DSWCH00$" successfull registered.
V-SWITCH 1:  "PSWCH00$" successfull registered.
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
V-SWITCH 1:   100 NDIS-Buffers allocated.
V-SWITCH 1:  PROTOCOL-Driver was bound to lower MAC "MMRE_NIF/RealTek 8139C+/8169/816".
V-SWITCH 1:  MAC-Driver was bound to upper PROTOCOL "TCPIP_NIF".
TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is bound to TCP/IP interface lan0.

The V-SWITCH entries above are related to VirtualPC and can be ignored.

arp -a shows:-

ARP table contents:

interface     hardware address         IP address   minutes since
                                                                                          last use
  lan0       30:91:8f:6 :21:38        192.168.1.254           12
  lan0       (incomplete)        192.168.1.255            0

You may want to post your \ibmcom\protocol.ini file contents.

Regards

Pete

zoward

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 05:31:08 pm »
Thanks Pete!  Here's the contents of my PROTOCOL.INI:

----

[PROT_MAN]

DRIVERNAME = PROTMAN$

[IBMLXCFG]

TCPIP_NIF = TCPIP.NIF
  MMRE_NIF = MMRE.NIF

[TCPIP_NIF]

DriverName = TCPIP$
  Bindings = MMRE_NIF
  IFTYPE = 6

[MMRE_NIF]

DriverName = MMRE$

---

Hi Howard

The lantran.log section looks right - here is mine for comparison

IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [05/21/04] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
TCPBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 6.0. IBM LAN Redirector ( May 25, 2005)

IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
Adapter 0 has 123 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS applications.
NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
MMRE NDIS device driver @#Arca Noae LLC:0.0.5#@##1## 4 Dec 2016 21:33:03      DAZAR1    ::::5::SVN63@@RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S/8168/8111/8101E P
MMRE Hardware detected: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
MMRE Mac address: fc:aa:14:2f:a1:23
V-SWITCH 1:  searching for "PSWCH00$" section.
V-SWITCH 1:  searching for "DSWCH00$" section.
V-SWITCH 1:  found section "DSWCH00$".
V-SWITCH 1:  found section "PSWCH00$".
V-SWITCH 1:  "DSWCH00$" successfull registered.
V-SWITCH 1:  "PSWCH00$" successfull registered.
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
V-SWITCH 1:   100 NDIS-Buffers allocated.
V-SWITCH 1:  PROTOCOL-Driver was bound to lower MAC "MMRE_NIF/RealTek 8139C+/8169/816".
V-SWITCH 1:  MAC-Driver was bound to upper PROTOCOL "TCPIP_NIF".
TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is bound to TCP/IP interface lan0.

The V-SWITCH entries above are related to VirtualPC and can be ignored.

arp -a shows:-

ARP table contents:

interface     hardware address         IP address   minutes since
                                                                                          last use
  lan0       30:91:8f:6 :21:38        192.168.1.254           12
  lan0       (incomplete)        192.168.1.255            0

You may want to post your \ibmcom\protocol.ini file contents.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 08:49:19 pm »
Hi Howard

My protocol.ini does not have the line starting IFTYPE in the [TCPIP_NIF] section. Might be worth a try without that line as it seems that " If no value is explicitly specified, the medium type reported by the underlying network device driver is used to determine the most appropriate value. " - quote from MPTS Configuration Guide.

If you are still not getting a dhcp response

1] Is the dhcp server working? - if a router is the dhcp server enabled?

2] Try setting a static ip address - use System Setup ->Network->TCP/IP->TCP/IP Configuration

Sorry, cannot think of anything else to try at the moment - apart from following Alexs suggestion of file a bug report.

Regards

Pete

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:49 pm »
Hi Howard,

I am using the Realtek mmr driver and have no issues with my Realtek device id 10EC , 8136h. under ArcaOS.

Has your netcard been enabled and set for receiving DHCP ? Check that in TCP/IP configuration under network - tcp/ip in system setup.

René

zoward

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 12:48:55 am »
Thank you all for the feedback!  To address a few of the questions I've gotten above:

- The "6" in PROTOCOL.INI was the interface type (Ethernet) assigned to the adapter in the Adapter settings.  I tried assigning it shortly after I found the driver didn't work.   It doesn't seem to make a difference if I have it set to 6 or leave it blank.

- I'm sure the hardware works - I booted the machine from a Linux USB drive this morning and the DHCP server assigned an address to the RealTek adapter.

- The DHCP server is my home router - it's the DHCP server for a dozen or so computers (Linux and Win10) tablets, phones, video game consoles, etc.  It's working with everything else.

- The only thing setting my card to a static IP did is stop the DHCP client requester from running.  I manually assigned the IP on the router, but was still unable to ping it.

- I finally realized why I'm getting the incomplete entries in my ARP table - when I go to ping an IP address, the TCP/IP stack is creating a temporary placeholder for the IP address of the machine in the ARP table, which never gets completed because it never gets the MAC address of the target machine back from the router.

- The adapter is very simple, it has only one parameter (interface type), and behaves no differently if I set it to Ethernet or just let the system determine the value.

- The TCP/IP configuration is mostly stock, just set to DHCP, one adapter, and one protocol (TCP/IP).  I'm not trying to run any other services on top of it.  I tried adding NetBIOS to the list of protocols just to see if anything would change, and it did: now, the system waits for the DHCP to timeout during boot and once WPS comes up, I get an error message telling me the DHCP request was unsuccessful.  If I pull up the DHCP monitor, it unsuccessfully retries every 30 seconds or so.

Is there anything else i can do?  manually specify the PCI address of the card or something?  I'm at a loss.  The only things I can think of right now are:

1. The CONFIG.SYS file somehow got corrupted during the installation or post-installation of other software and is no longer loading something I need.

2.  Some other setting I changed while testing and subsequently forgot about is preventing the system from working as it should.

3. The driver doesn't work with this hardware, even though the product and vendor ID and rev match the doc for the driver.

If I can't solve this in the next day or two, I'll see if I can get it working from a clean reinstall.  If not, I'll enter a ticket with AN.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:29 am »
You could try reinstalling the driver. System Setup-->Network-->Adapters and Protocols. Basically remove it and reinstall the same driver, with a couple of reboots in between. At least it should reset everything to the defaults.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:18 am »
Does your driver read the MAC address from the NIC? IIRC one of the netstat commands should show you this.

In the past there were some cards with Realtek chips which could not read the MAC address from the hardware and you had to add it manually in NAPS - Adapter options or directly in protocol.ini. No clue if this is still true.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 10:30:52 am »
Hi Howard,
In my case it solved the problem, it was in the tcpip, look at the configuration, in hostnames-- name resolution --- and replace 255.255.255.0 by 192.168.1.1 or the ip of your router or dns server.
Now I have another question, I wanted to uninstall or reinstall the
Ibm files and print clien for networking. Now I have it installed but after so many failures the requester fails me and in principle it will not let me reinstall it.

saludos

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 04:58:21 pm »
Hi Howard,

One thing does your Lan card load during bootup , I have set in my config.sys the /V after my driver like this "c:\imbcom\macs\mmre.os2 /V "

Then during bootup it will show you if driver gets loaded or not.

Have you tried the pci.exe  tool that tells you what HW that you have. And check the id for the REALTEK Lan driver.

PCI tool is placed in C:\sys\install\DETECT\pci.exe

the MMRE driver supports the following ID according to the https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/multimac/:

1186:4300, 1186:4302
10EC:8139, 10EC:8136, 10EC:8168, 10EC:8169, 10EC:8167
1259:C107, 1737:1032, 16EC:0116

If the ID match and still can get it to work raise a ticket a Arcanae

René

ak120

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 07:02:25 pm »
Does your driver read the MAC address from the NIC? IIRC one of the netstat commands should show you this.

In the past there were some cards with Realtek chips which could not read the MAC address from the hardware and you had to add it manually in NAPS - Adapter options or directly in protocol.ini. No clue if this is still true.
It's quite simple to run netstat -n checking for this behaviour.

zoward

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 01:16:02 pm »
Remember when I said that I installed NetBIOS temporarily and the boot process moved the DHCP server call further up in the boot process?  Well, when I went to try removing and then restoring the RTL8111 adapter, the PC no longer boots. It just hangs at the point where it used to try to hit the DHCP server.  I tried booting it from the CD, and if I choose boot from hard disk, it hangs as well, but this time it give me an error, a crash with register values and all from PROTMAN. Booting to maintenance does not seem to give me access to the C drive,so I can't restore my backups of PROTOCOL.INI, the MMRE driver files and CONFIG.SYS.  I booted from a linux stick which recognizes the JFS drive, but throws a bad superblock error if I try to mount it.  It's an older kernel, though, so I'll try again with a modern one. 

A few questions: if I boot from the CD ROM in install mode, configure the network card, boot, and then go straight to System Management before starting the install process, should the network be up and running at that point?  I could do this, trying different drivers and parameters without wiping my hard drive.  Beyond that, is there a way to access the hard drive from the CD or a boot drive?  Booting from the CD in maintenance mode only recognizes that a C drive even exists, and will let me switch to it, but the minute I try to do a DIR it throws an error.

Anyway, for now I'm just using my working install in Virtualbox on my main machine (Ubuntu linux), which works well enough (including networking), but it would be nice to have this running on bare hardware.  I may keep an eye peeled for a good used older Thinkpad as a host for this.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 03:21:03 pm »
...that a C drive even exists, and will let me switch to it, but the minute I try to do a DIR it throws an error...
Which error? That one that says a chkdsk is required? If yes then easy enough do a 'chkdsk /F' from C:\. I suppose you do this and your 'dir' from a OS/2 command prompt or 4os2 command prompt and not from DOS.

zoward

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 03:10:18 am »
After settling down and doing some Googling, I found I could use the jfsutils package in Ubuntu to check and mount the OS/2 drive, which I did.  I then restored my config.sys and protocol.ini files from my backup copies, and successfully rebooted my system - whew!   I also discovered that my cats had eaten one end off my 25 foot cat5e cable, so I replaced it with a shiny new cat6 ... and I'm back to square one.  Yes, I've run PCS.EXE, checked the driver against the vendor, product and rev numbers, run netstat -n to see lan0 bind successfully i tthe MAC address, set the params using ifconfig lan0 statements, tried it in both DHCP and static mode, reserved an IP on the router, and tried pretty every combination of parameter settings for the adapter(s) and TCP/IP stack. 

At this point I'm going to document what I've tried and found, and submit a ticket to AN.  Thanks to everyone who responded with helpful suggestions - I'm still not connected, but I've learned a helluva lot about the OS/2 boot process and network subsystem in the interim!  I'm toying with the idea of picking up a not-too-expensive used Thinkpad to continue tinkering with ArcaOS on.