Author Topic: ArcaOS - new install (and a few questions)  (Read 28155 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS - new install (and a few questions)
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »
Hi Hovard,
The card of realtec 8169, which I have. I have been torture for me for two days. Finally, cancel it.
The funny thing is that this card worked with the ecs22b2, without problems. I understand that with an old OS2 driver,
 because with the new Arcaos driver, the copies were made in about half the time.
The computer is a hp z400, which had a broadcom57X on motherboard , I was not able to make it work with the ecs22b2,
and buy the realtec as an option.
In the installation there were lots of errors, causing different results according to which programs I selected,
I was given a trap000e in OS2krnl when I started.
In this case of faults, what worked best for me to install it, was to reduce the programs to the basics by default,
 and to select NONE network adapter. In all cases the installer automatically selected the realtec adapter, not the broadcom adapter.
In tcpip it worked perfect and fast, but when installing Ibm file and print ... with netbios over tcp,
 strange things started. Network connections that worked for only minutes....
Just by adding two ip (192.168.1.1)(255.255.255.0)in Hostnames --- Name server addreess-- the system gave me a trap at startup.
Finally I put the broadcom57x and it is running like a rocket.
Howard, which adapter tells you the file pci.exe >c:\pc-hard.txt that you have? It has to be similar to RTL8169 - 10ech: 8169h My adapter.

saludos

zoward

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 12:23:23 pm »
Roberto, you bring up some good points - thank you.  I know for a fact that the RTL-8111 vendor/product ID's are listed in the driver doc, so it should just work.  I've done a lot of tinkering since install, and may have changed something I shouldn't have.    Up until now I've been a little nervous about reinstalling the OS outright, so I've been testing after the fact by botting form the CD and going into System Management.  At this point I'm going to back up everything and  try a outright reinstall, with the NULL driver which the OS originally selected, and see if it installs the MMRE driver.  If it doesn't,  I'll try manually installing it on the clean system.  If still no go, I can try another reinstall, with MMRE chosen.  This will also keep me from "settling in" on the desktop I already have set up.

Based on what I saw, and what you told me, it looks like if you install only a TCP/IP protocol using DHCP with an adapter, the boot process invokes the DHCP in a certain spot, but if you install any additional network services that run over TCP/IP (like NetBIOS), it moves the DHCP driver to an earlier spot in the boot process, so the TCP/IP stack is up and running when it goes to load the additional network drivers.  Based on what you wrote above, it sounds like that's you saw as well.

Hi Hovard,
The card of realtec 8169, which I have. I have been torture for me for two days. Finally, cancel it.
The funny thing is that this card worked with the ecs22b2, without problems. I understand that with an old OS2 driver,
 because with the new Arcaos driver, the copies were made in about half the time.
The computer is a hp z400, which had a broadcom57X on motherboard , I was not able to make it work with the ecs22b2,
and buy the realtec as an option.
In the installation there were lots of errors, causing different results according to which programs I selected,
I was given a trap000e in OS2krnl when I started.
In this case of faults, what worked best for me to install it, was to reduce the programs to the basics by default,
 and to select NONE network adapter. In all cases the installer automatically selected the realtec adapter, not the broadcom adapter.
In tcpip it worked perfect and fast, but when installing Ibm file and print ... with netbios over tcp,
 strange things started. Network connections that worked for only minutes....
Just by adding two ip (192.168.1.1)(255.255.255.0)in Hostnames --- Name server addreess-- the system gave me a trap at startup.
Finally I put the broadcom57x and it is running like a rocket.
Howard, which adapter tells you the file pci.exe >c:\pc-hard.txt that you have? It has to be similar to RTL8169 - 10ech: 8169h My adapter.

saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 01:57:53 am »
Hi All

Recently i posted that I had managed to get an ArcaOS install completed almost to my satisfaction and that the Realtek nic was working fine - see last post in this thread http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1407.15.html

At that point I was using dhcp. A little later I switched to a static ip, rebooted and had no problems.

When I booted this morning there were no connectivity problems. A friend phoned with a Win7 question around midday so I rebooted into Win7 to check how to resolve his problem. That sorted I shutdown and went for lunch.

A couple of hours later I booted ArcaOS - and discovered I had no connectivity. Booting my laptop proved the router was working so I started looking into what was wrong with ArcaOS connectivity.

What I did notice is that the lantran.log looks very different to what I expect it to look like based on logs I have seen previously - and checking against my 2 eCS volumes on this system it is definitely different. Here is that lantran.log:-

IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [05/21/04] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
MMRE NDIS device driver @#Arca Noae LLC:0.0.5#@##1## 4 Dec 2016 21:33:03      DAZAR1    ::::5::SVN63@@RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S/8168/8111/8101E P
MMRE Hardware detected: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
MMRE PHY: driver=rlphy OUI=e04c MODEL=11 FAIL
MMRE PHY: driver=rgephy OUI=e04c MODEL=11 SUCCESS
MMRE Mac address: fc:aa:14:2f:a1:23
MMRE Setup filter interrupt 16
IBM LANPDD is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
TCPBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 6.0. IBM LAN Redirector ( May 25, 2005)

IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
Adapter 0 has 123 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS applications.
NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is bound to TCP/IP interface lan0.

For comparison here is lantran.log from this boot with working connectivity:-

IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [05/21/04] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
TCPBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 6.0. IBM LAN Redirector ( May 25, 2005)

IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
Adapter 0 has 123 NCBs, 96 sessions, and 6 names available to NETBIOS applications.
NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
MMRE NDIS device driver @#Arca Noae LLC:0.0.5#@##1## 4 Dec 2016 21:33:03      DAZAR1    ::::5::SVN63@@RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S/8168/8111/8101E P
MMRE Hardware detected: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
MMRE PHY: driver=rgephy OUI=e04c MODEL=11 SUCCESS
MMRE Mac address: fc:aa:14:2f:a1:23
MMRE Setup filter interrupt 16
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is bound to TCP/IP interface lan0.

This successful log is the same as those stored from last boots of eCS2.1 and eCS2.2 on this system - and connectivity works. I suspect the failed log(top) possibly indicates nic related items in the config.sys file loading in the wrong order.

Before I tried sorting out the ArcaOS connectivity problem I booted eCS2.2b2 and discovered that was also having a connectivity problem. Very strange as I had not been using eCS for a few days and had definitely not made any configuration changes during last use.

Well, I had been running Win7 when I last connected to anything so I rebooted into Win7. No problems with Win7 connectivity although it seemed to take a little longer than usual for the nic icon on the taskbar to show as connected.

Having proven the nic working I rebooted into eCS2.1 - the only OS/2 installation not tested so far. That booted fine, no problems with connectivity.

I then rebooted into eCS2.2 and connectivity had been restored.

This looks suspiciously like a windows related problem; maybe something had glitched during Win7 shutdown affecting the nic and causing the connectivity problem. I have had hardware in the past that struggled to work with OS/2 based systems and the problems had (mainly) gone away after using the hardware in windows. I can only guess that the windows driver does some sort of initialisation or reset of the hardware.

So, I can only suggest that those people struggling with Realtek nics boot into windows, if possible, to check whether the nic works with that system. If it does it may then work with OS/2 based systems.

I must admit that I did not boot into ArcaOS until I had spent a few hours rearranging the ArcaOS config.sys file to closely resemble my eCS2.2 config.sys file especially the order of nic/networking related lines. It may not have been necessary but the lantran.log now looks like I expect it to and connectivity works - although I suspect that may be more to do with having run Win7 to check that the nic works.

I hope this is of some help to other Realtek users having connectivity problems despite all drivers loading OK.

Regards

Pete

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:27:18 am by Pete »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:24:25 am »
Wild guess from the xwlan/genmac discussions - could it be that the Win driver put the network card in 'Energy saving' (or something similar) mode? All power related settings in Win driver for wireless (and wired) adapters should be set to 'max. performance' instead 'power saving'. Such settings often survive reboots especially on Notebooks. Maybe worth to check.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »
Hi Andi

Yes, worth checking "turn off to save power" or whatever is not Enabled although that was not the case here.

I suspect Win7 glitched during shutdown although I would also guess that something went wrong with nic driver loading during the ArcaOS boot. Either way booting Win7 seems to have been the resolution.

No views on the lantran.logs shown? - Does the top log indicate a useable wired nic?

Regards

Pete