Author Topic: ArcaOS: Impossible to install!  (Read 26889 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS: Impossible to install!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »
David states that the 2 releases of os2ahci.add v1.32 are identical apart from the bldlevel info

Personally, I believe David.

If I ever knew what motherboard, and processor, that Pete has the problem with, I have forgotten (I see it was posted, after I wrote this). I have also not heard of another user with a problem (or I have forgotten). I use AHCI on multiple AMD processors, and multiple Intel processors, with no problems (with and without UEFI). The most likely source of the problem would be an early BIOS implementation, that was never fixed by the manufacturer (but that doesn't explain the difference that is seen between AHCI 1.32 in eCS b2, and AHCI 1.32, from the AN package). In that case, it would probably be a good idea to switch to IDE mode, and avoid using AHCI.

That's totally wrong. VirtualBox is quite slow and less acurate compared to other solutions. There is also no integration for OS/2. The guest driver misses all advanced features. The mouse driver integration can only be used in 1 PM session - better not try fullscreen OS/2 or DOS sessions including Win-OS/2-fullscreen.

I did a lot of ArcaOS testing in VBOX under win 10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad T510, using various settings. It works quite well, and performance is only a little slower than in a real machine (in fact, it may be faster in some ways). Not sure what you mean by "less accurate". It either works, or it doesn't. The guest driver doesn't handle shared folders, but network folders work fine. What else is missing? FWIW, I probably didn't try DOS/WIN16 in VBOX.

I do have a problem with VBOX under win 10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530, but I am convinced that it is caused by a bad BIOS update. It suddenly broke both ArcaOS and eCS, under VBOX, after the last BIOS update (which I haven't tried to fix, yet).

VBOX under OS/2 has problems, but the new 5.0.6 version works about the same as the old 1.6.1 version, with a winXP guest. Neither one is considered to be more than Alpha code anyway.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
I do not see any point in running an operating system to run an operating system. Either ArcaOS installs to real hardware  or it does not get installed.

That's your choice of course.

I typically use Linux for everything, except I have software apps I've developed for Windows.  So I use a VM in Linux running Windows for those apps only.  It lets me freeze the machine where it is, and then restart it right where it left off.  I can have a backup of a machine in case it gets infected.  There are several reasons to run an OS in an OS.  So much so that Intel and AMD have invested 10s of millions in adding VM extensions to their CPU's instruction set.

It's not a trifle to run VMs.  I actually envision the future of all computing being something like that.  VMs clients of various sorts running inside a very thin outer OS host, allowing seamless integration across multiple different OSes.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 08:51:59 pm »
Hi All

Out of interest I copied os2ahci.add from the ArcaOS installation on my laptop to the desktop that I cannot install on and rebooted to load the driver. Result: Booted to desktop.

Double checked the driver in use:-

[L:\OS2\BOOT]bldlevel os2ahci.add

Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#Arca Noae LLC:2.01#@##1## 6 May 2017 11:25:04      DAZAR1
::::::@@AHCI Driver (c) 2017 Arca Noae LLC
Vendor:          Arca Noae LLC
Revision:        2.01
Date/Time:       6 May 2017 11:25:04
Build Machine:   DAZAR1
File Version:    2.1
Description:     AHCI Driver (c) 2017 Arca Noae LLC

[L:\OS2\BOOT]

So, the driver is definitely the ArcaOS version.

Copied loaded driver detail to text file:-

[L:\OS2\BOOT]copy os2ahci$ os2ahci.trc
        1 file(s) copied.

[L:\OS2\BOOT]

The generated file os2ahci.trc contains:-

Adapter 0: PCI=0:17:0 ID=1002:4391 AMD SB700/800 irq=19 addr=0xfeb0b000 version=10200
  Port 0:
    Drive 0: 9729 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors per track (76316MB) (LVM)
             Model: SAMSUNG HD080HJ                       
  Port 1:
    Drive 0: 60321 cylinders, 255 heads, 127 sectors per track (953855MB) (LVM)
             Model: WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB0                   
  Port 2:
    Drive 0: atapi removable
             Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0               
  Port 3:
    Drive 0: atapi removable
             Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0               
Adapter 1: PCI=3:0:0 ID=1b4b:9172 Generic Generic irq=47 addr=0xfe810000 version=10000
  Port 0:
    No drive present

So os2ahci.add will work on an already installed system as it recognises the disks - still "loses" Adapter1 Port1 though...

The above prompts the question: Anyone have any ideas why this driver does not recognise the hard disks attached to Adapter0 Ports0 and 1 during ArcaOS install as it almost works fine added in to a working system?

@Doug
I believe that David believes he is correct. However, the very different behaviour of the 2 1.32 builds tells a different story - the binary code must be different in some way otherwise the 2 drivers would behave the same on the same hardware.

Regards

Pete

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 09:48:09 pm »
Hi,

I have a problem which could be related to the OS2AHCI as ArcaOS is looking into this way...
I have a MSI mainboard with onboard M.2 PCIe disk. As soon this M.2 disk is installed, getting the first install panel takes more than 10 minutes ! and LVM is unable to process my SATA SSD on which I would like install ArcaOS. With the M.2 removed, the install panel is available in about 1 minutes and I have to use no disk check to be able to find the SSD and after I could pass this first install part, reboot on the SSD will never proceed !

It looks like something is going wrong, LVM is not able to handle correctly the SATA disk while my system is AHCI only.

Please see open tickets at high priority.
To push forward investigation and debugging, may be it would be nice to open a ticket too. Thanks

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »
 Hi Remy,

I have a motherboard with AHCI ports that will only boot with BASEDEV=OS2AHCI.ADD /!R. I originally just transferred my hard drive from the old system to the new so have never actually installed an OS on it, so I don't know how ArcaOS will install ( I plan on just updating all the components one at a time anyway - don't want to have to re-create my desktop). You might want to try adding /!R to the OS2AHCI.ADD line (if that is possible) and see what happens.

Regards,

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:06 am »
Hi David

I had not really looked into parameters as the eCS version does not need them. I'll have to give /!r a try as it looks like it may help. Will report back later...

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 02:22:29 am »
Hi All

Have now tried using the os2ahci.add parameter /!r during installation. This does allow the installer to "see" the connected hard disks, but only Port0  on Adapter1, and installation proceeds - but not very far. The installer gave a lot of beeps at 2% and further beeps until crapping out at 10%.

Just for fun I thought I'd reset the BIOS to use native IDE and install using the danis drivers - can always change back to os2ahci later.

I did not realise the installer played tunes - Oh, hang on, it is just a continual stream of beeps. Despite all the beeps it got to reboot into phase2 where the installer crapped out at 50%.

A quick look through a few of the log files that exist does not offer any clues. Any particular logs to look for that may indicate why installation crapped out?

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 04:16:14 pm »
Hello Pete,
And you tested it with another hd, in case it is a hard failure?
saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »
Hi roberto

The install is to a volume on a hard drive that has eCS2.1 and 2.2b2 boot volumes on it and running without problems.

I think we can discount hard disk failure and having performed multiple installations to a laptop to get a working system that I was vaguely happy with I doubt there is a dvd problem - unless I have worn it out  :-)

I currently have a partial installation on my desktop system that boots and may be something to build onto...
From the logs it is possible that the problem happened during yum/rpm software installation, \var\log\lcu.l1 seems to be where events are stored and that ends with

[Fri Jun 02 14:31:48] RPM/YUM install is starting.

All other entries have a corresponding entry "... install was successful." except yum/rpm

Anyway, I have finally found some hardware that ArcaOS installs to without any problems at all - the BIN  ;-)

Must admit to being exceedingly underwhelmed by ArcaOS.

Regards

Pete

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 11:16:51 pm »
Hi Pete,

Can you check your disk is ok under DFSEE on both system ?
I've got a strange issue where my disk was ok under an older system but under the new one, I've geometric errors !
Correcting it makes the disk having errors on the older system !

Cheers

ak120

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 11:45:22 pm »
That's totally wrong. VirtualBox is quite slow and less acurate compared to other solutions. There is also no integration for OS/2. The guest driver misses all advanced features. The mouse driver integration can only be used in 1 PM session - better not try fullscreen OS/2 or DOS sessions including Win-OS/2-fullscreen.

I disagree with you Andreas and your "That's totally wrong" statement is your own personal opinion. My installation of eCS under VirtualBox is working fine, it may not be perfect but it is very comfortable to work with OS/2 on a VM, specially when you are testing different kind of software and configurations.

I was not talking about a working limited set of features that may be suitable for testing purposes. In real world applications it's only possible to utilise 1920x1200 resolution inside a DOS full screen session of an OS/2-VM by using Virtual PC. Which also offers more reliable networking btw. If you can disprove the nuisances mentioned earlier then please show an evidence!

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 12:28:49 am »
Hi Remy

I have not seen the problem with geometry changing, no problems accessing volumes from either ArcaOS installer or when booted from either eCS boot volume on the disk. The only thing I have noticed is that my D: volume, fat32, always gets a chkdsk when booting eCS after the ArcaOS installation attempts.

What driver is involved? - if os2ahci.add then the only thing that will help is a rewrite/update of the driver based on the experience I have had with it. During my last - and most successful - install attempt I opted for System Management at the end of phase1 of install, opened a command window and deleted the just installed os2ahci.add replacing it with the version from eCS2.2beta2 - and remembered to edit config.sys to remove the /!R parameter.

End of os2ahci.add problems  :-)

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 12:42:36 am »
Hi All

I have now managed to get a very basic ArcaoS installation up'n'running by the simple expedient of a Custom install   deselecting all software apart from CAD, NewView and IBM Tools and Games. The result was a very basic Warp4 desktop that is being rapidly modified.

After reading a few posts about people having problems with the Realtek 8168/8111/8169 nics I must admit that I was a little concerned as this system has 1 of those - but known to be working with the Arca Noae MMRE driver already. No problems here; tcpip, File and Print Client working fine - and I've just hooked up my already installed Seamonkey to get online.

And I thought this was going to be my first ever OS/2 install failure since picking up a copy of Warp3 in 1992...

Time to go get some more Desktop customisation and already installed applications hooked up  :-)

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 02:48:16 am »
Hi All

I spoke too soon about not having Realtek nic problems as I had no connectivity earlier today. The problem got resolved and my experience was added to an ongoing Realtek discussion http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=1392.msg13614#msg13614

Regards

Pete

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 10:27:25 pm »
Hi Remy

I have not seen the problem with geometry changing, no problems accessing volumes from either ArcaOS installer or when booted from either eCS boot volume on the disk. The only thing I have noticed is that my D: volume, fat32, always gets a chkdsk when booting eCS after the ArcaOS installation attempts.

What driver is involved? - if os2ahci.add then the only thing that will help is a rewrite/update of the driver based on the experience I have had with it. During my last - and most successful - install attempt I opted for System Management at the end of phase1 of install, opened a command window and deleted the just installed os2ahci.add replacing it with the version from eCS2.2beta2 - and remembered to edit config.sys to remove the /!R parameter.

End of os2ahci.add problems  :-)

Regards

Pete

My ahci issue ticket under ArcaOs progressed and it seems a fix will be available and may be a new ISO build for the fix test... wating for more news..