Author Topic: MMRE.OS2 not installed during ArcaOS installation  (Read 5466 times)

Saenger39

MMRE.OS2 not installed during ArcaOS installation
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:39:18 pm »
On the first pass (booting from the DVD), a message stated that the Realtek 8139C+ was loaded; however, on the second pass an error message said that the device MMRE.OS2 was not installed.  The lantran.log file showed "PRO00025:  An error occurred when the program tried to bind TCPIP_NIF to MMRE_NIF."  This is a machine that I've used for several years, running eCS 2.0.  Any helpful hints appreciated.

Regards,
Wes

roberto

• View Profile
Re: MMRE.OS2 not installed during ArcaOS installation
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »
Look
http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1392.0.html
It would be interesting to know if the old drivers can be installed in arcaos?

saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:25:32 am »
Hi Wes

The problem seems to be "the device MMRE.OS2 was not installed." so the question is: Why not? - Is it the correct driver for the nic? - Is the nic Enabled in the BIOS?

I have just resolved a sudden connectivity problem with a Realtek nic that uses the mmre.os2 driver and posted my experience to the discussion mentioned by roberto. The main point that you will be interested in reading is that booting to Win7 seems to have reset/initialised the nic and my OS/2 installations on the system now have connectivity restored.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:43:32 am »
I am not sure that the MMRE driver is correct for the 8139C, although it *may* be selected by the installer. The MMRE driver is for gigabit NICs, while the 8139 series is 10/100 Mbs. I am pretty sure that the RTSND driver will work with the 8139C. Use NAPS (System Setup-> Network-> adapters and Protocols), to change the driver.

I will remind people, that MMRE is the new, on going, driver for Realtek Gbs NICs. You should NEVER use the ancient R8168 driver, because it can do some nasty tricks, like disable the NIC, until the machine is totally powered down (pull the plug). Even windows, and Linux, failed to turn it back on, for me. I have one realtek NIC that will do some very strange things with the R8169 driver, but all of the Realtek Gbs NICs, that I have, work with the MMRE driver. Strangely, MMRE does claim to support a couple of 8139 10/100 Mbs chips, but I am not so sure that it actually does (I haven't tried it myself).

Any driver should work with ArcaOS, if it is designed to work with warp 4. Whether it will work any better than what is supplied with ArcaOS is highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Saenger39

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:12:15 pm »
I am not sure that the MMRE driver is correct for the 8139C, although it *may* be selected by the installer. The MMRE driver is for gigabit NICs, while the 8139 series is 10/100 Mbs. I am pretty sure that the RTSND driver will work with the 8139C. Use NAPS (System Setup-> Network-> adapters and Protocols), to change the driver.

I will remind people, that MMRE is the new, on going, driver for Realtek Gbs NICs. You should NEVER use the ancient R8168 driver, because it can do some nasty tricks, like disable the NIC, until the machine is totally powered down (pull the plug). Even windows, and Linux, failed to turn it back on, for me. I have one realtek NIC that will do some very strange things with the R8169 driver, but all of the Realtek Gbs NICs, that I have, work with the MMRE driver. Strangely, MMRE does claim to support a couple of 8139 10/100 Mbs chips, but I am not so sure that it actually does (I haven't tried it myself).

Any driver should work with ArcaOS, if it is designed to work with warp 4. Whether it will work any better than what is supplied with ArcaOS is highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Thanks Doug!  By selecting the realtek8139/8130/810x adapter, instead of the realtek8139C+,  my new installation of ArcaOS has access to the outside world.  (I'm new to os2world, so I don't know how to give a 'thank-you'.)

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:56:55 am »
I don't know how to give a 'thank-you'

Top right hand corner of the persons post that you wish to give thanks for :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners