Author Topic: Battery charge  (Read 17310 times)

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
Battery charge
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:30:16 am »
Hi there,
has there ever been a tool for os2/ecs/Arcaos with which one could control the charging of a laptop battery?
I would like to have a possibility to change the start and end level for battery charging, for example start charging when less than 35% battery left and stop at 85%.

Cheers
Holger

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: Battery charge
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
No, we don't have such tools.

Battery Widget shows the level of battery.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »
Hi there,
has there ever been a tool for os2/ecs/Arcaos with which one could control the charging of a laptop battery?
I would like to have a possibility to change the start and end level for battery charging, for example start charging when less than 35% battery left and stop at 85%.

Cheers
Holger

I also seem to remember that the charging in electronics in a laptop do not allow you to control the charging of a battery in that way. In other words the software can not control this.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 06:00:05 pm »
I also seem to remember that the charging in electronics in a laptop do not allow you to control the charging of a battery in that way. In other words the software can not control this.

Hi Roderick,
I do not quite understand your reply. In Windows or Linux you can set the levels for charging the battery. Right now I do the following : I have a usb device with a linux mint installed. Using the TLP-Package one can set the start and stop point for the battery charging. This seems to get stored (in the bios?).When rebooting to Arcaos on the same machine the setiings remain as set. That made me wonder if there is something equivelant for os2/ecs/arcaos?

Holger

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:06:08 pm »
Hi Holger

That is an interesting feature request. It is called "Battery Charge Threshold" in some other platforms.  The idea is to help you preserve the health of the battery by making it discharge and charge according to selected limits.

For example here it is the one that cames on "Lenovo Settings" for Thinkpads. (see attachment).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:26:05 pm »
Hi Martin,
yes that is what I meant. I know this feature from Windows myself and as mentioned from Linux Mint.
As the setting do not change when booting ArcaOs I was just wondering if there would be a possibility to have something similar for os2/arcaOs.

Cheers
Holger

xynixme

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:42:34 am »
I was just wondering if there would be a possibility to have something similar for os2/arcaOs.

ACPI is a requirement ("Makes ACPI calls using the acpi_call kernel module, which is REQUIRED"). So is modern hardware. ArcaOS: maybe.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 08:16:17 am »
As the setting do not change when booting ArcaOs I was just wondering if there would be a possibility to have something similar for os2/arcaOs.
Most probably the answer is - no. Never heard of such utility. We still have problems even reading basic system health information (temperature, fan speed, ...) so I think there is very little chance someone did such sophisticated things for current Notebooks. Last time we had similar support on OS/2 (changing bios settings from the OS) was in the Thinkpad 365X/760 days IIRC.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:10:00 am »
If you have the source code for a battery program, you can modify it to use ACPI under OS/2. The developer's toolkit for ACPI is available here:

https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/acpi/
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 08:24:35 am »
We still have problems even reading basic system health information (temperature, fan speed, ...) so I think there is very little chance someone did such sophisticated things for current Notebooks.
I understand that if you are contemplating analyzing pc temperatures, it is because of the problem that some lucky like me, we have a laptop that goes off alone.
I in my case have come to the conclusion, that this problem is not because of the temperature.
With the ecs22b2 had to wait after turning off 20 minutes, and with arcaos only 10 minutes. Before turning it on again. It is an improvement but not enough.
The fact is that if I leave those 10 minutes off, before restarting it I can have it on without problems indefinitely.
But if I click on RestartDesktop ..., in 90% of cases, before 5 minutes the laptop goes off.
The question is why?
saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:52:54 am »
I have a laptop that I got for $5 since it wouldn't run for more then maybe 5 minutes. Took it apart and the fan was stuffed with dust. Cleaned it and it runs fine.
Way back, I went through a period of fan failure in my desktop. OS/2 would get unstable, I'd replace the CPU fan and everything would be good.
Possibly, the ArcaOS ACPI is set to handle a higher temperature and that's why your system stays up longer. Take it apart and blow it out. Always a good idea with older machines.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:58 am »
@Roberto - I can not follow what you're talking about. Guess it has nothing to do with the topic 'Battery charge', does it?

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 10:23:04 am »
Last time we had similar support on OS/2 (changing bios settings from the OS) was in the Thinkpad 365X/760 days IIRC.
Hi Andi,
as far as I remember: I had a Thinkpad R52 on which I installed ECS using APM and using speed step.
I do recall that using the power object->properties->performance would change the settings in the Bios
/power/speedstep enabled etc.
But ok, this was APM??
If you have the source code for a battery program, you can modify it to use ACPI under OS/2. The developer's toolkit for ACPI is available here:
Hi Neil, I wish I had the abilities to do this.
All I know are these packages/drivers for example used for linux systems on thinkpads:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi#Installation_on_Debian_and_Ubuntu

Regards
Holger

xynixme

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 12:16:00 pm »
The question is why?

If possible, try software which controls the fan to manage or understand the problem:

A cleaned fan may be capable of keeping it cool, but perhaps it has to spin up earlier because the fan is not working perfectly anymore. The goal of such an app is to minimize fan activities, but you can also use it to analyze temperatures and customize/maximize fan activities. For example, the screenshot (Windows & older ThinkPads?) above shows temperatures, RPM of the fan and customizable (temperature ranges, fan speed) settings instead of just the default settings. If this learns you that a cleaned fan is too bad to work properly, then a repaired fan will work for OS/2 too (I've never used OS/2's controlyourfans due to its hardware requirements).

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:29 pm »
Andi- It's not about battery charge

André- At this moment I have no possibility to try this software, although I have tried it in vbox, xp-guest, but it does not work as expected.
But when I was with ecs22b2, I had a partition of w10, which did not give me that problem when I was booting.
What I say is that there is something in the system boot which is the same as there is in the Restar Desktop .. and causes the same damage.
I discard the shutdown (since I have tried the 3 types of shutdown without differences), and discard the temperatures, for two reasons w10 starts and work, and if I do the rest of 10 minutes, it can be on without problems more than 24 hours in a row.
saludos