Author Topic: ArcaOS keeps rebooting  (Read 44887 times)

Paolo_Ricardo

Re: ArcaOS keeps rebooting
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 04:18:01 am »
Dave

Thanks. Ran CHKDSK /F C: from the DVD Install. It rebuilt the File/Directory Allocation Map and the Disk Allocation Map, told me the file system is clean and LVM reported 0 bad blocks.

So I rebooted off the hard disk. I got the message that CHKDSK was replaying the Journal Log and that the file system was clean. The desktop showed with its icons for about 6 seconds then it bombed out to a black screen. Rebooted again, went through the same process, half-built the desktop icons and then totally froze. Had to pull the power plug.

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 04:39:50 am »
Have you turned off hyperthreading in your BIOS. If the above still does not make a difference boot the system with the option /MAXCPU=1 behind ACPI.PSD.

Roderick

I've tried most things (see the thread!) There is no hyperthreading option in my BIOS. How do I boot with the MAXCPU option? Normally ArcaOS boots automatically and ACPI.PSD is the first thing that shows up on the screen so I'm not sure how to enter that option.

Paul

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 04:49:46 am »
You'll have to do it from the DVD's maintenance partition. Not sure what editor is available but there should be one.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 04:52:50 am »
Dave

Ive just discovered that. Edited CONFIG.SYS via a command prompt.

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 04:56:50 am »
Ah well, the /MAXCPU option didn't solve the problem - I get the half-built desktop and a total freeze.

Do I have any more options? :-)

Paul

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 05:34:27 am »
Press ALT-F1 at the boot blob at the beginning of the boot and restore an archive? Perhaps the oldest. You'll lose some of the stuff that you've done but hopefully it is just a corrupted ini file.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 07:25:39 am »
Dave

I went through all of the archives including the one created when I installed ArcaOS - no joy I'm afraid, boots to desktop and freezes.

I'm afraid I am losing confidence in an OS which screws up the way ArcaOS has.  One night everything works perfectly, next morning I'm stuffed. I don't think it's anything to do with my hardware, certainly not the hard disk, so I presume it must be the OS. Even if I had restored from a backup there seems to me no way of guaranteeing that that would have worked.  CHKDSK apparently repaired my file tables, it boots to the desktop (presumably having processed the INI files) and then just freezes.

Anyway thanks for your help (and thanks to everyone else who contributed.)

Paul

xynixme

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 07:48:16 am »
As I said, running CHKDSK with /F did not repair the situation.

CHKDSK /F:2

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 08:05:03 am »
One night everything works perfectly, next morning I'm stuffed.
As even your older archives do not work anymore this is very strange. Usually you install new stuff or change some drivers and problems start arising. But when even the oldest archive do not work config.sys and os2x.ini entries do not trigger the problem. Even more basic things are only bios settings and hardware changes which I can think of. AHCI/IDE settings, overclocking, broken PSU (yes I've that one time in the past where most of the time the system works but sometimes the WPS came not up fully), ....

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 08:17:17 am »
CHKDSK /F:2

Andre

No change, I'm afraid

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 08:21:55 am »
One night everything works perfectly, next morning I'm stuffed.
As even your older archives do not work anymore this is very strange. Usually you install new stuff or change some drivers and problems start arising. But when even the oldest archive do not work config.sys and os2x.ini entries do not trigger the problem. Even more basic things are only bios settings and hardware changes which I can think of. AHCI/IDE settings, overclocking, broken PSU (yes I've that one time in the past where most of the time the system works but sometimes the WPS came not up fully), ....

Andi

I didn't change any drivers. I installed a lot of applications but apart from one issue which I solved with Dave's help I wasn't having any problems. No hardware changes.

So if you're puzzled imagine how I feel  :(

Paul

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 04:06:45 pm »
Hi

I am not using the cutdown version of xwp that ArcaOS installs so cannot test this myself but the full xwp has a Panic mode.

Try pressing the Shift key during Desktop startup (press just as the screen changes from black to colour) and run xfix from the displayed menu. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 06:51:33 pm »
Now that you've tried all these random suggestions (some germane, some just W-A-G's), it's time to attack the problem systematically. Initially, the goal is to determine if the issue lies in the WPS, PM, some hardware driver(s), or the base OS.

If you haven't done so already, it would be a good idea to make a backup of your unmodified config.sys.  Post a copy here as well for future reference. Also, if you see a file named popuplog.os2 in the root directory of your boot drive, please post it - it may identify the cause.

The first step is the WPS: yea or nay. In config.sys, locate "SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE" and 'rem' it out. Now enter "SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE". Save the file then reboot.

The system will come up with a blue screen and an OS/2 command prompt window. Let it sit there a while. If the system does not reboot, then something in the WPS is triggering the problem. Confirm this by starting the WPS: at the command prompt, enter "PMSHELL". What happens next? If it reboots, we know the general location of the problem and I can help you zero-in on it in a subsequent post. (If it runs OK then it's going to be a lot harder to figure out what's wrong.)

Note: if the WPS simply crashes rather than causing the system to reboot, you should be returned to the command prompt. However, on my system that doesn't happen. Instead the window (labeled "Workplace Shell") remains minimized in the lower left corner of the screen. If so, dbl-click to restore it, then press Ctrl-C to kill the still-running WPS process. (You can ignore the various messages you may see in the window.) If you're lucky enough to get to this point, try running PMSHELL again to see what happens.

Next... if the system reboots while sitting at the initial command prompt, then we have to see if PM is the cause. In config.sys, locate "PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE". Again, 'rem' it out and replace it with "PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE". Save and reboot. The system will come up to a full screen command prompt. Hold your breath and see what happens  :)  If it still restarts then we'll have to start disabling drivers (we may need to do so, regardless).

I'll leave it at that for now. Please try these relatively simple steps and report back when you can.

I am not using the cutdown version of xwp that ArcaOS installs so cannot test this myself but the full xwp has a Panic mode. Try pressing the Shift key during Desktop startup (press just as the screen changes from black to colour) and run xfix from the displayed menu. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Honestly, I think this is fairly misguided advice. What would a newbie know about editing the file-handles table? In any case, if IFX ran and reported no errors, it's highly unlikely this is the source of the problem.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 04:52:57 am »
Rich

Thank you very much.

First weirdo - I booted up this morning and ArcaOS loaded perfectly - apparently, all my original icons and apps on the desktop. Anyway I backed up CONFIG.SYS - attached along with POPUPLOG.OS2. Note I realised I hadn't copied the original CONFIG.SYS to my USB drive and tried later - see below.

Made the changes you suggested, rebooted, got the blue screen and command prompt. Waited about 10 seconds and there was no reboot. Entered PMSHELL. The desktop and icons came up but the mouse completely froze. I couldn't get to the Workplace Shell icon, obviously, so pulled the power plug (equivalent to killing the WPS process I presume.)

At this stage I've stopped. I changed CONFIG.SYS back and rebooted. Mouse didn't freeze this time. Tried to copy my backup CONFIG.SYS to my USB drive and I got a black screen:

"
The system detected an internal processing error at location ##0168:fff68389 - 000f:00067389.
60004, 4038

0f8606f6
Internal revision 14.200_SMP

The system is stopped...
"
 I don''t know how far forward this takes us - I'm not an expert which should be patently obvious by now  :)

Paul

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 04:56:52 am »
Sorry

Don't think POPUPLOG.OS2 uploaded properly.