Author Topic: Laptop advice please  (Read 6926 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
Laptop advice please
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:05:16 am »
My T43P is nearing the end of its life - my it rest in peace.

I am looking to replace it with a Thinkpad T530 or some such, and for an excuse to purchase BlueLion. I notice that Doug Bissett is using an L530, which is similar. So questions:

Does the accelerated GRADD for Intel work with the Intel HD4000? (Doug you have an HD3000 - what is your experience?)

Suggestions on which PCIe Mini Card I should get that will work with GenMac?

Any other issues that should steer me to a different machine or I should be aware of?

Thanks

Doug Clark

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: Laptop advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:50 am »
L530 and T530 are very different. Different internals (BIOS, ..). Yes, logo is the same.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:23:35 am »
My T43P is nearing the end of its life - my it rest in peace.

You can't kill a T43. Only the battery dies.   :-[

Does the accelerated GRADD for Intel work with the Intel HD4000? (Doug you have an HD3000 - what is your experience?)

Panorama works well, but be sure to get a 1600x900 screen, The 1368x768 screen isn't that great. Acceleration is a moot point, nothing is accelerated any more. Panorama has a buffer that helps, and the machine speed makes up for the rest. SNAP will also work, but it is not accelerated, and doesn't have the buffer.

Suggestions on which PCIe Mini Card I should get that will work with GenMac?

None of them will work with GENMAC. It is most likely that Intel will be the first to be supported by MultiMac, when it is done (no ETA, yet). MultiMac works well with Intel, and Realtek, wired NICS.

Any other issues that should steer me to a different machine or I should be aware of?

I am happy with the Lenovo ThinkPad L530 (and my older T510), but it does have problems. Sound sort of woks, but not well (the T510 works with UniAud). Sound is pretty marginal on all laptops, unless you use external speakers anyway. The L530 has a UEFI BIOS, but that hasn't been a problem.

YMMV...

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:18:46 am »
So no wireless connectivity then? ouch

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:10:24 pm »
So no wireless connectivity then? ouch

I use an external WiFi device (specifically a D-Link DIR-506L), so I am not totally cut off. Arca Noae is getting closer to releasing MultiMac WiFi support, but they aren't there, yet.

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 04:55:47 pm »
I know it is not a big step from T43, but my Lenovo T61 works fine with ArcaOS, including WIFI and sound support. It works better than with ECS 2.2, which had frequent problems at start-up.

The installation was smooth, using an HPFS partition which previously had an ECS 2.1. I had to switch from SNAP to Panorama, because SNAP (which works OK in ECS) distorted the images in ArcaOS.

The connection to WIFI is much faster than before, and I have no problems with mi gmail, which in ECS worked only with the basic HTML.

The only thing I miss from ECS is Flash. The ECS version does not work in ArcaOS.

I am also waiting for a modern Laptop with full support from ArcaOS

Eduardo Vila Echagüe
Santiago, Chile

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:40 pm »
Hi Eduardo

I think Flash checks that it is working on an eCS system. I am not sure what it checks but you could try creating the [Boot]:\ecs directory and then copying the file ECS_INST.FLG from an eCS installed system.

Regards

Pete

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:44:59 pm »
IIRC, \ecs\dll\SECURIT2.DLL is required.

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »
Pete and Andreas:

I implemented both you suggestions, installed ECS Flash (warpin), opened Firefox 38.8, and it crashed.

Thenks anyway

Eduardo