Author Topic: About FAT32 and AN  (Read 8276 times)

Lars

• View Profile
About FAT32 and AN
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:10:01 am »
Looks like quite a few people are having probs with FAT32 as it comes with AN:

the new version that is being worked on still needs some fixes. What I fixed with SVN revision 250 was some prob with extended attributes in conjunction with the /largefiles switch which would lead to a complete system hang when opening a FAT32 drive object. Currently we are working on a problem when double clicking on a file with a program association​ (say a zip file associated with the arcview.exe utility).
We know where the resulting system hang occurs but we don't yet know why ...

For the time being the solution is to revert back to version 0.9.13 which you will find at Hobbes.

To find out about what SVN revision is delivered with AN:
open a commandine, change to directory \os2\boot and do a "bldlevel FAT32.IFS" (without the quotes).
The returned info contains a 3-digit value (apart from other info) which is the SVN revision.

If it is older then 250 you can try newer version here (as I said:not yet ready for prime time):
trac.netlabs.org/FAT32

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: About FAT32 and AN
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 05:42:56 pm »

I have had a problem with special characters in the folder, or file, names. They just don't match what the older FAT32 driver , or windows, uses. That can also result in a case where the files "disappear" while copying (they are still there).

Personally, I always turn off EAS. The file system, itself, doesn't support them, and you will have nothing but problems with them, if you try to use that feature (true for older FAT32 versions too).

The easy "fix" is to get FAT32 9.13, from HOBBES, and replace what comes with ArcaOS.. Eventually, somebody will listen to what i tell them, and the problem will be fixed.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:26 pm »
Even if you dont intend to use extended attributes, the file system driver still has to support them.
If the file system does not support them the file system driver has to return some minimum response on a request for extended attributes. This has now been fixed for the /largefiles support.
It's more complicated as it seems ...

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:09:39 pm »

I have had a problem with special characters in the folder, or file, names. They just don't match what the older FAT32 driver , or windows, uses. That can also result in a case where the files "disappear" while copying (they are still there).

Personally, I always turn off EAS. The file system, itself, doesn't support them, and you will have nothing but problems with them, if you try to use that feature (true for older FAT32 versions too).

The easy "fix" is to get FAT32 9.13, from HOBBES, and replace what comes with ArcaOS.. Eventually, somebody will listen to what i tell them, and the problem will be fixed.

Please open a problem report for this defect so that it does not get lost. With some luck, this project is going to pick up speed:

http://trac.netlabs.org/fat32/newticket

You will need to create an account with Netlabs but I think you have that already.

Lars

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:54:08 am »
r280 seems to have fixed the main problem. I am traveling, so I am very short of time, at the moment.  I should be back at it by Thursday, if all goes well.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:29:59 am »
2Doug Bissett: Are you sure you installed fat32.ifs correctly? I changed nothing related to unicode, so filenames should be shown the same as in 0.9.13. The only change is the Unicode translate table loading is now located in uunifat.dll, and if it is not on the LIBPATH (or, an older ufat32.dll version is on the LIBPATH), the unicode to local codepage translation may not work. Also, all components versions are checked to be consistent, so if you have, for example, an older cachef32.exe, but newer uunifat.dll and fat32.ifs, then cachef32.exe will not load successfully, and unicode translate table will be not loaded. Are you sure it has been loaded? What does cachef32.exe write on start? Is there any errors?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:13:23 am »
2Doug Bissett: Are you sure you installed fat32.ifs correctly?

I used the WarpIn installer, but it does seem that something didn't work out the way it was supposed to. The initial install was done by the ArcaOS 5.0 installer, and it had problems, as described earlier. Installing (WarpIn) test versions caused some very strange things, including Trap 000d at boot. After I carefully searched out the FAT32 parts, and manually removed them, then installed r280, using WarpIn, it started to work. I haven't done much testing with it though. I won't be able to do that until Thursday.