Author Topic: Backup software  (Read 6580 times)

karotlopj

Backup software
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:33:29 pm »
Does anyone know of any backup utilities for OS/2 which restore an OS/2 installation from a network? I'm thinking of something like Clonezilla...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Backup software
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 05:08:53 am »
Does anyone know of any backup utilities for OS/2 which restore an OS/2 installation from a network?

I use ZIP to zip up my drives, then store the ZIP file on a network drive. You do need a network capable alternate boot system to unZIP it. I use bootAble for that. but I haven't tried to make a bootAble system from ArcaOS, yet.

ak120

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:04:14 am »
Does anyone know of any backup utilities for OS/2 which restore an OS/2 installation from a network?
It's not the task of "backup utilities" to restore an installation from a network. A full network-enabled backup/restore solution can do this work. But you're not writing about the target. Restoring to local drives can be done by any bare metal recovery solution. For smaller environments without TSM also SRVIFS can be used.

I'm thinking of something like Clonezilla...
Clonezilla is an program for imaging partitions, that's different from backup/restore. It doesn't run from inside the OS.

karotlopj

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »
I'm thinking of something like Clonezilla...
Clonezilla is an program for imaging partitions, that's different from backup/restore. It doesn't run from inside the OS.

Clonezilla can create images of partitions and disks and can be run from a network or local media, but unfortunately it can't handle OS/2.
I even tried using Unix 'dd' to create an image file of a FAT partition, but was unable to restore it as a bootable system.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57:53 pm »
Clonezilla can create images of partitions and disks and can be run from a network or local media, but unfortunately it can't handle OS/2.
Then use dfsee from stick/CD/other partition/same partition/... when you only want to make images. But for backing up an OS/2 system a simple xcopy/zip/... is enough.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:03:18 pm by Andi B. »

ak120

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:33 pm »
I even tried using Unix 'dd' to create an image file of a FAT partition, but was unable to restore it as a bootable system.
Some transfer block sizes can cause restore failures with dd on some filesystems.
This depends on which input file was used. Additionally all data that belongs to volume managers has to be handled also. I cannot recommend to misuse dd for backup and recovery. Even with real old Unices there should be something like ufsdump and better tools to create emergency boot images.