Author Topic: USB support in original CP2 CD  (Read 15944 times)

karotlopj

Re: USB support in original CP2 CD
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 08:56:44 am »
Hi John,

Use hcimonit in your x:\os2\boot directory, this program will tell you what your chipset is.

Hi Ian,
How are you keeping?

I don't have such a program. I don't think it comes with the Convenience Pack.

The following is what I have.

[C:\os2\boot]hcimonit
You have 4 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s)
You have 1 PCI USB EHCI host controller(s)

[C:\os2\boot]

Booting from my PXE server and running System Rescue CD, there is a program lshe which shows I have 4 USB controllers. 3 x uhci_hcd  and 1 x ehci-pci, so I'll adjust config.sys accordingly.
[
quote]
Take note of the host controller type, UH, OH, EH
EHCI is for USB v2.xx so it should come after the v1.xx drivers.

In my config.sys file I have (for the above controllers)

REM BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS     (one copy of this statement for each UHCI controller reported by HCIMONIT)
REM BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS     (one copy of this statement for each OHCI controller reported by HCIMONIT)
REM BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS     (one copy of this statement for each EHCI controller reported by HCIMONIT)
REM USBEHCD.SYS must be placed AFTER USBUHCD.SYS and USBOHCD.SYS
REM BASEDEV=USBOHCD.SYS /FS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1 /REMOVABLES:4
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBRESMG.SYS

USB works well on your model laptop as well as R41 and R61's
Note "BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /FLOPPIES:1 /REMOVABLES:4"

/FLOPPIES:1   is for reading from my usb stick
/REMOVABLES:4 is for my card reader which has 4 sockets.
Defaults are probably fine but I've got those defaults there, well, just because they have been there for um, decades :)

Using the USB drivers which are installed from the CD doesn't seem to give me access to any USB stick I've tried.. maybe it's a hardware problem, but having said that, I can boot from USB, so it must be OK.

karotlopj

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
Hi John,

I assume you have a working CD/DVD drive on the T41.  You can use a CD to transfer the necessary drivers to your system.  If you send me an e-mail to ivanjt at free dot fr I can send you an ISO that contains the drivers and a few odd utilities (we use it when we re-image a WSeB (CP2) computer.

That's very kind of you Ivan, but there's no need. I have working versions of OS/2 on half a dozen laptop disks. I'm just trying to document how I got them installed last year when I started to re-visit OS/2. I don't remember using USB, so maybe I installed it on an old laptop which had drivers on the CD which supported its NIC.

karotlopj

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 09:07:39 am »
Hi John

Do you have the usb device monitor running? - I think this is \os2\boot\usbmon.exe on a cp2 system

This is the bit that "notices" when a usb drive gets attached and pops up a message.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Are you sure that usbmon.exe is included on the CP2 CD? I haven't been able to locate it anywhere...

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:36:13 am »
FYI - depends if you want to go further than CP2. I would recommend you do.

I cant remember if usbmon was on the CP2 CD or not, to difficult for me to find in one of many boxes to check but files listed below are the last USB packages from IBM.

usb10162.zip  Last IBM Base USB package. This is the same file as usbbasic10162.zip. If you are doing a fresh USB driver install, start with this one. Includes hcimonit.exe, usbd.sys, usbehcd.sys, usbhid.sys, usbohcd.sys, usbuhcd.sys.

usbp10157.zip Last IBM Printer USB package. Includes usbmon.exe, usbprt.pdr, usbprt.sys.

usbs10162.zip Last IBM supplemental USB package. Includes usbcdrom.add, usbmon.EXE, usbmsd.add, usbwarn.EXE.

You will want usb10162.zip (20th Jan 2006)  and usbs10162.zip (20th Jan 2006).
Happy to email these to you if you like.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

ak120

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »
... hcimonit in your x:\os2\boot ...
I don't have such a program. I don't think it comes with the Convenience Pack.

You're right. It never shipped with any level of the Convenience Packages. That was the reason I gave you the resulting entries for your config.sys. Later USB driver packages from SWC/PPA included the USB 2.0 support.

If you have only CP2 the included USB drivers in \OS2\BOOT should be at revision 10.058. You can check it with the command BLDLEVEL. The OS/2 Device Driver FixPak (XR_D003) includes files at 10.070 revision level - but also no USB 2.0 support.

With a T41 it should be usually 3 UHCI and 1 EHCI. The reaseon for 3 entries of the same driver in your CONFIG.SYS.

Using the USB drivers which are installed from the CD doesn't seem to give me access to any USB stick I've tried.. maybe it's a hardware problem, but having said that, I can boot from USB, so it must be OK.

So the system installation was done from an external USB CD-ROM drive?

Simply use LVM on the USB storage to create a partion.

I attached 2 files built from ddk sources that should work with a CP2 without any fixes and additional device drivers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:05:37 pm by Andreas Kohl »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 10:37:46 pm »
Hi John

No, never having had a copy of cp2 - went the eCS route instead. I would be surprised if there is not some sort of removable drive monitor included, maybe usbmon.exe is hidden in a zip/self executing package.

I suggest following Ians advice to update usb drivers as it is a worthwhile update for most systems and usbmon.exe seems to be included in the usbmsd update usbs10162 - you should find usb10162 and usbs10162 here http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/usb/index.html

Regards

Pete

karotlopj

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 12:32:03 am »

You're right. It never shipped with any level of the Convenience Packages. That was the reason I gave you the resulting entries for your config.sys. Later USB driver packages from SWC/PPA included the USB 2.0 support.

If you have only CP2 the included USB drivers in \OS2\BOOT should be at revision 10.058. You can check it with the command BLDLEVEL. The OS/2 Device Driver FixPak (XR_D003) includes files at 10.070 revision level - but also no USB 2.0 support.
I checked all the usb* files installed and they have a BLDLEVEL of 10.57. I did noticed that there was also a USBHCD2.SYS along with the others. Never seen any mention of this anywhere.

With a T41 it should be usually 3 UHCI and 1 EHCI. The reaseon for 3 entries of the same driver in your CONFIG.SYS.

Using the USB drivers which are installed from the CD doesn't seem to give me access to any USB stick I've tried.. maybe it's a hardware problem, but having said that, I can boot from USB, so it must be OK.[/quote]

So the system installation was done from an external USB CD-ROM drive?
No, I used the internal CD-ROM. Getting OS/2 installed was relatively painless (after the first few attempts. The major drawback is lack of a NIC driver

Simply use LVM on the USB storage to create a partion.

I attached 2 files built from ddk sources that should work with a CP2 without any fixes and additional device drivers.

I can't get LVM to create a partition on a USB disk.

karotlopj

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 12:45:31 am »
Hi John

No, never having had a copy of cp2 - went the eCS route instead. I would be surprised if there is not some sort of removable drive monitor included, maybe usbmon.exe is hidden in a zip/self executing package.

I suggest following Ians advice to update usb drivers as it is a worthwhile update for most systems and usbmon.exe seems to be included in the usbmsd update usbs10162 - you should find usb10162 and usbs10162 here http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/usb/index.html

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

The subject of the thread is 'USB support in original CP2 CD'. Apparently it did work in some way, and I'm trying to find what I need to do to make it  work on a ThinkPad T41. Installing updated drivers defeats the point of the exercise, but thanks for your suggestion.