Author Topic: Trying to get the forums back.  (Read 29773 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Trying to get the forums back.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »
Thanks for replying. It seems that the forum are back.

Greg, this is the first time I got a database corruption on MySQL in all the years of OS2World (the 2012 big crash was a hard drive failure). But I will also try to understand better Postgres to have it as an alternative.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:09 pm »
Sounds good. Postgres can have a steep entry curve.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 02:46:05 pm »
Hi Martin,

How is the nightly incremental backup setup and does it backup to an off site NAS?  That is how my old clients were setup and from memory the most lost data was three minutes work.

Maybe the big problem is you being in one country and the server in another.  And thanks for getting back what you have, now I can start on the odd questions again.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 02:43:47 am »
To paraphrase Vladimir Ilich Ulianov: Backup, backup, backup). Thank you for your efforts in keeping this forum running and all the other stuff you do for the OS/2 incarnations. Would you be willing to help out with a funding drive to port the open source QT5.5 to OS/2?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »
Hi

Yes, I'm discussing the backups with the webmaster, since we need a better way to have them available.

Would you be willing to help out with a funding drive to port the open source QT5.5 to OS/2?

Guzzi, I discussed it with Roderick at Warpstock and there is no problem at all with that. I think that Qt5 and Java 8 are very important for the platform and we all need to help Bitwise works to complete the funding for this.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

RickCHodgin

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 01:40:59 am »
Maximum Warp!  ;)

LOL! :-)  I like that.

Back in my Apple II days, I was transwarped,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_accelerators#TransWarp_.E2.80.93_Applied_Engineering. Replaced the 1Mhz 6502 with a 3.6Mhz 65C02 and included 256MBs of ram. With a bit pf patching, the old Apple II could run Apple //E software at a blazing 3Mhz and access most all the ram. Now I'm running a 2.4Ghz dual core CPU with 4GBs of ram and yet am only warped  :)

RickCHodgin

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 01:51:40 am »
Back in my Apple II days, I was transwarped ... Replaced the 1Mhz 6502 with a 3.6Mhz 65C02 and included 256MBs of ram. With a bit pf patching, the old Apple II could run Apple //E software at a blazing 3Mhz and access most all the ram. Now I'm running a 2.4Ghz dual core CPU with 4GBs of ram and yet am only warped  :)

Well transwarp never did quite work properly for the Federation.  We're pretty much been stuck with warp drive.  Voyager gave us quantum slipstream drive though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:54:02 am by Rick C. Hodgin »

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 02:30:51 am »
Back in my Apple II days, I was transwarped,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_accelerators#TransWarp_.E2.80.93_Applied_Engineering. Replaced the 1Mhz 6502 with a 3.6Mhz 65C02 and included 256MBs of ram. With a bit pf patching, the old Apple II could run Apple //E software at a blazing 3Mhz and access most all the ram. Now I'm running a 2.4Ghz dual core CPU with 4GBs of ram and yet am only warped  :)

256Mb?

That must have cost a bundle, while it is now some 35 years ago so my memory may be failing, I am fairly sure my Transwarp I only had a 256k cache.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 03:07:16 am »
You're right, 256 KB.

Daniel

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 05:58:29 am »
Ah! memories. I have (still) an IMSAI which I  modified several times. My original 2 MHz MPUA 8080 CPU card was replaced by a 3 MHz MPUB cpu card. I then replaced the 8085 on that card with a wirewrap card I built with an NSC800 running at 4 MHz. This also needed some inverters to get polarities right and some logic to add wait states to the boot and monitor ROM memory space. But now I could run Z-80 code. Whoopee!

There is also a one Megabyte ramdisk, another large card with battery backup. Unless I lose power for more than eight hours it is still there... dynamic ram. Who could afford static RAM?

This is several years earlier than the previous computers mentioned.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 02:28:45 pm »
I worked at IBM in the early 70s. In the computer room (yes a large room) we had a state of the art mainframe. The computer used by everyone. Most had to submit jobs to a window to be keyed into the machine. A few execs had terminals. In the computer room which was a secure area in a secure building there was an inner room secured also. That is 3 layers of security. The inner most room is where new cpu's were designed on an amber terminal with a light pen. The cpu's were then made at the same facility. The most advanced cpu had 8000 transistors. The memory in the mainframe was the real gem. The core was completely "solid state". You could open the doors on the rows cases and see wires strung top to bottom and left to right. The wires were bare and were held together at the intersections by small rings. Each one was a bit.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 04:31:59 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that, since the restore, logging in on the main page doesn't seem to 'stick' when opening the forums?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »
logging in on the main page doesn't seem to 'stick'
No difference here before and after the restore: Works for me, if I use OS/2.

With W7, I have to log in on a SMF page to keep me logged in and to get auto-logged in for a new session. With a Joomla page like the main page, even a login for the current session doesn't work (and didn't work since a long time).

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 11:47:51 am »
I've tested the behavior with W7 again and it works now (most likely since the restore) like it does with OS/2.