Author Topic: Firefox 45.9.0 & Youtube  (Read 24481 times)

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
Firefox 45.9.0 & Youtube
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:48:24 am »
Hi there,
has anyone installed the new Firefox 45.9 and been able to watch youtube videos? When I go to the youtube page it loads very slow (compared to Firerfox 38.8) and trying to start a video fails. The video(s) start to load but then I receive a message stating that I should restart my device if the video does not start.CPU usage shows app. 100% and nothing further happens.
The Browser does not crash! and I can stop the process.
Before sending a report I would like to make sure that this is not an issue with my installation.

Anyway thank you to those who continue to work on firefox!

Regards
Holger

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 45.9.0 & Youtube
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »
Hi Holger,

Hmm...come to think of it that is precisely what I'm seeing here as well. Certainly not the behaviour that we saw in the latest pre-release either...so something went wrong in the GA build.

If you are going to log a ticket I will hold off and contribute once it's there instead.

Thanks,
-Dariusz

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
Hi Holger

I am running the GA version and have no issues. Have you tried to make a new profile ? Also try to disable addons if you have some installed.

I had the same issue until I made a new profile. Also if you have flashblock as addon it gave me 100 % cpu usage when enabled.

I have just seen all the Warpstock 2017 in one go with cpu usage 30-50 % sometimes up to 90 % but drops down again.

Just rename the firefox profile to ex firefox_old , and then start Firefox again and I would imagine you get a more smooth performance.

Best Regards

Rene

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:32:11 pm »
Try it with safe mode. Help--Restart With Add-ons Disabled and see if it helps.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:50:35 pm »
Firefox reports "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device."

even in safe mode. I haven't yet tried a new profile.

But I tried another video, and it plays with sound in safe mode. It seems I can play any video that does not try to display an advertisement first.

Out of safe mode playback depends on the advertisements displayed on top of the video. Playback stops while the overlay renders, then it starts again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:59:57 pm by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:46:59 am »
Hi there,
did a little more testing considering your advices: New profile did not help, no addons did not help either.One more thing I noticed: Firefoxprocess is not stopped when closing the browser, I have to kill the process.(I suppose this a problem on my machine only?).
Strange enough:I managed to make this vidoe run : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8_ByqQA3Q or lets rather say, this one works.
Can anybody verify this?

Regards
Holger

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:33:46 pm »
Hi there,
I opened a ticket, but it was closed quite soon by dimik.

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/242
Perhaps someone would like to contribute too?

Meanwhile I will continue my testing

Regards
Holger

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:53:30 pm »
Hi Holger,

...I opened a ticket, but it was closed quite soon by dimik.

Yeah, I read that...bugger, not sure why dmik closed it so soon, I really did not think much was done to research. I did update the ticket with my details of what I saw, including a screenshot of the YouTube stats page overlaid on the video presentation space, which is clearly showing that YouTube msg...hopefully they re-consider.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:22:57 pm »
Hi Holger,

...I opened a ticket, but it was closed quite soon by dimik.

Yeah, I read that...bugger, not sure why dmik closed it so soon, I really did not think much was done to research. I did update the ticket with my details of what I saw, including a screenshot of the YouTube stats page overlaid on the video presentation space, which is clearly showing that YouTube msg...hopefully they re-consider.

The problem is, that bugs should be reproducible to be able to address them. In dmiks case it does seem to work after reloading the page. So, he has nothing to go on. Further testing and providing a "fails always" scenario will surely reopen the bug, as will more reports of people having the same issue. Remember, a bug does not exist until it has been reported and only one report might be a setup problem. Complaining in fora is not a bug report (not addressed to you, Dariusz). Here it works, but I have a different issue. Playing a youtube video, it will start normally, then display  the dreaded loading circle. Gets stuck there until I move the slider back to restart it. After that, it often plays normally. Does anyone else see this? I so, I will open a bug.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:49:14 pm »
Hi Guzzi,

now I do feel addressed.
It never was my intention to complain! In my first posting here I wrote:
And before opening the issue I considered and tried every suggestion made here in the forum.

I was just a little bit amazed that the issue was closed so quick!My Intention was not to complain but rather ask other people who experienced the same problems to contribute too. Darius and Neil seem to have similar problems.

Regards
Holger

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
...I was just a little bit amazed that the issue was closed so quick!My Intention was not to complain but rather ask other people who experienced the same problems to contribute too. Darius and Neil seem to have similar problems...

I updated the ticket you opened with some of the stats details the other day and with some additional info today regarding for when the video stops.

So here is what I found out, at times there'll be a very brief, maybe a second or two at most, playtime which then stops. I think the 'Network Activity' indicator in the YouTube stats box shows 0kB in such instances and indicates that there is no video playback occuring. Whether the video stops b/c the YouTube server thinks there is a problem first, or whether the problem occurs first and subsequently the server reports back on it is hard to tell.

I will try a safe-mode session next though.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:00 pm »
Hi Guzzi,

now I do feel addressed.
It never was my intention to complain! In my first posting here I wrote:
And before opening the issue I considered and tried every suggestion made here in the forum.

Regards
Holger

My remarks were general and certainly not aimed at you. In fact, you already did exactly what I suggested. When a few people with the same problem add to the ticket it will probably be reopened, or it might have to wait until FF 52 has been ported. Dmitry does take his work seriously, but, as I said, it is almost impossible to fix a bug that he can't reproduce.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:29 am »
As Dmitry is now focused on 52ESR, I doubt that he'll put much time into this issue unless it is reproducible on 52ESR.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 04:49:07 am »
Dave,

Is the 52 build something that's coming relatively soon? If so, then yes, I agree. But based on what I see coming across the email list, it looks like a few issues have been identified already to get us there. So I'm a little more than worried that it'll be a longer time effort...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 06:17:26 am »
I have no idea how quick a build will come. Mozilla is fast changing so rebasing 7 releases is going to be slow, then side tracks such as building a newer sqlite, then attempting to build and fixing build issues. I'm sure it'll take a while.
Dmitry has also been sidetracked into other projects previously.