Author Topic: Applications OS/2 Needs  (Read 15859 times)

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: Applications OS/2 Needs
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 09:23:29 am »
All those video players are ancient and will only play ancient video codecs. Really ArcaOS should just replace them with vlc but I guess as they're a traditional part of OS/2 and perhaps the deal with IBM means shipping the core OS.

They cannot distribute VLC without paying a (not insubstantial) licence fees to the DVLA and MPEGLA, same reason that no Linux or BSD distribution comes with any of those as standard but only as an download from a third party.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 01:44:42 am »
#1 A good audio player with playlists and generous file support. It should be able to play: .MP3, .OGG, .FLAC, .IT, .S3M, .MOD, .XM--basically something that could be a distant shadow to xmplay (which there isn't even anything quite like it on Linux, but it can run in WINE). Or maybe I'm just too used to XMplay :p
Still use z.exe, but there are more. We can also run DOS, Windows 3.1 and we have Java with some players.

#2 A decent quick image editing program--like Pinta or Paint.NET
Too many available, native OS/2, DOS, Windows3.1, Java, QT with all levels of editing way up to something like the Gimp.

#3 Audio editing, like Audacity but for OS/2
As far as I know you can run Audacity in OS/2 with Odin. But strictly editing is something for Windows or Apple because all big equipment manufacturers only bring drivers for both. Whats left is playing with your audio card with two, may be four channels.
I tried a few things in Java, but we need a more up to date version.

#4 Advanced text editor with the ability to change the colours--like Notepad++ or any other common editors out there
Too many available, native OS/2, DOS, Windows3.1, Java, QT with all levels of editing.

The ability to play common audio formats in playlists, and also the ability to run tracker files is the most wanted thing I'm looking for at the moment.
Z.exe will do that, but the problem is that not every broadcast site will deliver pls format and demand a more specific player. I believe this was the reason for ending development of Z.exe.

If anyone wanted to provide me some pointers where I should start out with?
You can try Hobbes http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/, Java http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e.htm, Qt ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qtapps/.

dcull

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 10:18:41 pm »
It'll extract to \usr\local which will put it on the PATH and LIBPATH if that is @UNIXROOT\usr\local and you have the stock ArcaOS setup.
It probably doesn't matter where you extract it to as long as it can find its DLLs. Simplest way is to have a wrapper script that sets BEGINLIBPATH before launching vlc.exe
That's hopefully not necessary. Simply copy the stuff from subdirectory "bin" to "lib" and run the executable from this place. Quick'n'dirty but it works.

Many thanks for this 'quick and dirty 'tip. i've been downloading and trying to install VLC versions without success for four years, and now its up and running. Maybe this info could be included in the vlc read.me