Author Topic: Firefox 45.9.0 & Youtube  (Read 24482 times)

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 45.9.0 & Youtube
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 07:04:40 pm »
Hi there,
I did some more testing and made an observation, but I am not quite sure if it is worth considering.As mentioned I have firefox 38 too and youtube works well. After Dimik had pointed out the possibility to look at the statistics I took a look at the statistics of the same video when opened with firefox 38 and firefox 45.9.
Looking at the codecs the videos in FF 38 always show something like  VP8/Vorbis and in FF 45 VP9/Opus.
Is this important?

Regards
Holger

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 01:22:52 am »
Looking at the codecs the videos in FF 38 always show something like  VP8/Vorbis and in FF 45 VP9/Opus.
Is this important?

It shouldn't be, assuming you have a powerful enough CPU. Of course that is assuming that our VP9 port works well.
Basically VP9 is more efficient at encoding/decoding a video, so higher (perhaps double) quality video at the same bitrate, or lower bitrate for the same quality.

If I get a chance, I'll try transcoding some videos here and test VP8 vs VP9 on local videos. I don't have the bandwidth to use Youtube.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:02 am »
I've been seeing this issue with Seamonkey.
The original video in the ticket says I can't play it due to geography. 
The one Darius put in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAigQuoCfD0&feature=youtu.be
does show the problem in seamonkey but oddly works in Firefox 45.9.0.
I just checked some others that I had seen were/are not working in Seamonkey and worked in Firefox too.  I just checked and in both cases it is the VP9/opus.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:58:00 am by Andy Willis »

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 03:54:49 pm »
Hi Dave,
what would a powerful enough CPU be, I run a TP X61, so fairly old machine. Perhaps this is the problem?

Holger

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »
Hi Holger,

...what would a powerful enough CPU be, I run a TP X61, so fairly old machine. Perhaps this is the problem?...

Just my $0.02 in this, I do not think the starting of the playback should be impacted by the CPU power. If it starts correctly and then starts to miss (dropped frames, etc...) then maybe the CPU performance is the cause, but the playback should begin regerdless.

I suppose the other option is that due to MM instruction extensions for a particular range of CPUs the older stuff may not support the new instructions? But I would imagine something like this is really controlled at compile time where a target CPU/family is identified. I can not imagine we would be publishing code for the OS/2 platform that will correctly execute on just the latest set of CPU families.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 07:06:41 pm »
Hi Holger, it is going to depend on resolution, but any C2D should be enough to play anything that isn't too high of a resolution. I'd guess that your X61 can play any reasonable resolution video, up to your video size. There's also the overhead of Firefox to consider. I'll try playing around tonight.

@Dariusz, all these decoders use dynamic CPU detection and should take advantage of any simd instructions that your CPU and OS/2 supports. Generally all the important stuff is hand written assembler.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 07:53:02 pm »
try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/versions/?page=1#version-1.0.5
it solved youtube video issue for me

it looks like vp9 consumes too much CPU power

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 01:06:27 am »
Hi

Will that addon work with Seamonkey?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 02:13:43 am »
Looks like it'll need converting, http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/. Let us know how it goes.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 06:26:22 am »
OS4User,

try https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/versions/?page=1#version-1.0.5
it solved youtube video issue for me...

Great suggestion...installed it here, it sort of worked, meaning some videos now at least play, but I still have a lot of stutter...so this particular issue is really weird. My machine is a 5 core SMP box...plenty of power, or so I thought! lol

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 02:29:04 pm »
Hi Dave

I would give the converter a go but it does not seem to be possible to download this addon without having Firefox installed - the url has no "download" button just a lot of "Only with Firefox - get Firefox now" buttons.

Regards

Pete